Prospect Info: Oliver Kapanen, RHC, KalPa U20 (U20 SM-sarja), 64th Overall

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
IMG_5527.png

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I don't think Kapanen has a higher ceiling than Beck. He seems to have a lot of decent skill, but no high end ones. Beck has a lot of decent skills as well, but he has a high end shot and high end skating.

I see Kapanen like a Lehkonen at best, and Beck like a Horvat at best.
There are two versions of Lehkonen. If Kapanen maps to the opportunistic Colorado version of Lehks, he should have a spot on the Montreal roster, especially if he can play center.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
I think he could be our 4th line center in a few years, a 4th with Tuch-Kapanen-Xhekaj could be very interesting and dangerous comes playoffs time

Reactions: donghabs98

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
There are two versions of Lehkonen. If Kapanen maps to the opportunistic Colorado version of Lehks, he should have a spot on the Montreal roster, especially if he can play center.
There really is only one version of Lehkonen. A player who play in the top 6 of the 6th best offense of the cap era will have more points than a player who play on the 3rd line of the 10th worse offense of the cap era.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think he could be our 4th line center in a few years, a 4th with Tuch-Kapanen-Xhekaj could be very interesting and dangerous comes playoffs time

One or both of Beck/Kapanen could reach 3C. Difficult to know for sure. Both are similar in value IMO (pre NHL).

Both are true type centers. Not the type who are wingers and pretend centers. Newhook is that kind of type. M Domi as well.

Very curious to see who is better between Kapanen and Beck. We got Evans as the bridge for now. I do see the Habs targeting a center with the Jets 1st.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
No. He signed a 2 years contract with Timra in the SHL and if the Habs sign him to his ELC and he doesn't make the NHL, they have to loan him back to Timra.

Also to specify, they only have to loan him in the first year of his ELC. As of year 2 of the ELC, even if he is still under contract with Timra, Canadiens can keep him in North America, whether in Montreal or Laval.

It was the same thing with Heineman. He had a 2-year deal with Leksand and also signed to an ELC in the off-season. The first year, they had to loan him if he didn't crack the Habs. But the second year of the ELC, they kept him here even if he still was under contract at Leksand.

The one thing is that his contract won't slide because he is 20 years old. But that is exactly what happened with Heineman also. He signed his ELC at 20, and his contract didn't slide. He joined Laval at the end of the year last season, but this year was his first full year in North America and he's in the second year of his ELC.

Next year in the SHL and i think he makes the Habs the year after that

Even if he doesn't Habs will be able to send him to Laval and not have to be loaned to Timra even if he still has a valid contract there. I mean for the 2025-26 season.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
That doesn't seem ideal, but I do lack knowledge here.
The same thing was done with Heineman.

Kapanen gets to come to the Habs camp and if he doesn't make the big club he goes back to the SHL which is a better league than Liiga. He doesn't take a spot in Laval, so more place for the other prospects.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
It's optimal, he gets another year in a better league while we have more spots to develop players in Laval this year with another incoming class (Tuch, Florian, Beck, Mesar) then he comes over next year.

The same thing was done with Heineman.

Kapanen gets to come to the Habs camp and if he doesn't make the big club he goes back to the SHL which is a better league than Liiga. He doesn't take a spot in Laval, so more place for the other prospects.

But aren't there enough forward spots in Laval, and wouldn't it better preparation for the NHL?

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Grant gets a lot of hate around here - but I watched him (I believe it was on Tony Mariano) mention Kapanen as one of our best prospects about 9 months ago.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
But aren't there enough forward spots in Laval, and wouldn't it better preparation for the NHL?

Laval is already full with incoming youth. It could be argued the team is already too young. Adding OL KAPS to the mix would only compound the problem. Next year there will be competition for bottom 6 NHL center spots as Dvo and Evans will likely be gone so he and Beck can duke it out then.

Olly gets to play on a better team, against better competition and likely in an important role under management that has his best interest at heart. It's a good situation.

Reactions: DAChampion and Leto

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Grant gets a lot of hate around here - but I watched him (I believe it was on Tony Mariano) mention Kapanen as one of our best prospects about 9 months ago.

Grant has some good takes, and some really bad ones. It makes me wonder if he's not just pulling stuff out of his rear end, or if he authentically projects differently.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Next year in the SHL and i think he makes the Habs the year after that

Respectful IMO. He wants to develop in the SHL and make the trip overseas when he can earn a NHL spot. His development has been going on very good so let him finish his goals in the SHL. This season was his first big step forward. It's what we didn't do with KK.... allow him to dominate his development league.

Reactions: Wats and Tyson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad