OT: Other Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies... V

Status
Not open for further replies.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
As far as hiring practices, I think teams should hire who they want. We have coaches of color in the NFL. I think the NTL is a inclusive league. I think most teams have an idea of who they wanna hire. Before the process actually happens. While there are rotten folks, I’m really tired of hearing the blame for all that ails this country as white supremacy. I think the us is a free country where the cream rises to the top, show me a country as diverse as the us with as much success.

Reactions: MacWinnon

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
As far as hiring practices, I think teams should hire who they want. We have coaches of color in the NFL. I think the NTL is a inclusive league. I think most teams have an idea of who they wanna hire. Before the process actually happens. While there are rotten folks, I’m really tired of hearing the blame for all that ails this country as white supremacy. I think the us is a free country where the cream rises to the top, show me a country as diverse as the us with as much success.

LOL

'K...

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
You asked a poster to do better. Look in the mirror, belittling folks with a smug attitude reeks.

You posted that you're "really tired of hearing the blame for all that ails this country as white supremacy", in the midst of so much systemic racism/white supremacist bullshit going on in our country.

What reeks is your callous indifference to the realities of our world today. That indifference is as much a part of that same systemic racism/white supremacist problem America has today.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Good. God.

What an absolutely, painstakingly, brutal hot-take, even from you.

Take off your f***ing Broncos blinders man. Consider the possibility that back then he said that stuff because he didn't want to immediately have his candidacy thrown out. Consider that it's possible (and I'd say entirely likely given how the NFL hiring cycle works) that the Broncos did interview him purely to satisfy the Rooney Rule, had no intent of actually hiring him, were late & hungover (or at least Elway...he's always struck me as a "whole bottle" type of guy).

Just about everything in here is pure and utter drivel, and it's repugnant. Do better.
You literally just proved to me you have no idea what's going on. And why what Flores is saying, is hurting his case in terms of the Broncos portion.

Flores claimed that the interview he was given by the Broncos in 2019 was shit, they were drunk, doing it for Rooney rule etc. Which could entirely be the case. In fact knowing Elway's personality very much possible as he is an ass hat.

Problem is in 2020, while he was coaching Miami in a pre-week media session before playing against the Broncos is when he stated the interview he had in 2019 went well and nice to meet with the Broncos executives etc.

The case he filed, says the interview he got in 2019 was a joke and he was discriminated against. But in 2020 he said it went well etc. Even if that was a PC answer he gave since he was employed, and didn't want to stir the pot. The comments are still on record and contradict what he is claiming. He could have just declined to answer the question if he didn't want to answer it. Which to me, is what he should have done in that interview, if what he filed in court the other day is what he truly felt.

Obviously there is more to it than one comment, but these kinds of statements etc. Will not help Flores and his case. As Broncos attorney's will inevitably use his words against him.

And for the record, I'm not trying to defend Elway or the Broncos. Personally can't stand Elway the person, and fully think what Flores is claiming about the Broncos is extremely possible. I'm simply pointing out that Flores's case against the Broncos would be better, if he just waited until court to provide his evidence.

Reactions: The Moops

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
You posted that you're "really tired of hearing the blame for all that ails this country as white supremacy", in the midst of so much systemic racism/white supremacist bullshit going on in our country.

What reeks is your callous indifference to the realities of our world today. That indifference is as much a part of that same systemic racism/white supremacist problem America has today.
could you be more specific? I mean besides a bunch of low rent nazis in Florida. I mean as a general rule we laugh at people like them. I’m looking for instances of specific institutional racism

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
could you be more specific? I mean besides a bunch of low rent nazis in Florida. I mean as a general rule we laugh at people like them. I’m looking for instances of specify institutional racism

Charlottesville
Trump
the NFL (long history there)
America being built off the backs of slaves
Newly passed restricted voting laws aimed at disenfranchising minority voters in the states of Georgia (heavily African-American population) and Texas.

Do...do you want me to go on or is that enough?

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I’m pissed that Armada was an option and they didn’t pick it. Armada would be a sweet name for a sports team.

I agree that it's a pretty cool name. But it might be too naval. The Pentagon is based in DC and they might feel a military nickname for a team in DC should represent all military branches.

If San Diego ever gets another team, Armada should be strongly considered.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Charlottesville
Trump
Newly passed restricted voting laws aimed at disenfranchising minority voters in the states of Georgia (heavily African-American population) and Texas.

Do you feel that an NFL coach should have a background as an NFL player?

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Charlottesville
Trump

no you’re gonna need to get your crayons out and draw me more specific cases that we can focus instead of generalizing such as trump(I’m not a fan)and by this what is it trunp said that leads to to believe this

If we dive into history couple things here I lost 8 family members to the eradication of slavery in America going back further I can show you how northers were Fiercly anti slavery remember the ahmistad(sp?) a few specific examples I can expand on if necessary.

Last edited:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Do you feel that an NFL coach should have a background as an NFL player?

No, not necessarily. It still depends on the person overall.

But here's an example--Josh McCown has not had one lick of experience coaching at ANY level in the NFL, yet he's a finalist (admittedly alongside Flores) for the Texans job. How and why? The odds-on answer is because he's a good ole white boy.

Brian Flores, meanwhile, took over a pretty laughable Miami franchise and actually had back-to-back winning seasons and was surprisingly dismissed.

Leslie Frazier has done well for himself in Buffalo and can't get a job; Todd Bowles has shown well in TB and can't get a job; Jim Caldwell was one of the best coaches Detroit has ever had, and while that's not exactly saying much because Detroit is a bad team, he still can't land a job; Byron Leftwich supposedly has Tom f***ing Brady vouching for him with Jacksonville and they're still parading other white people around as if they're looking for any reason to not hire him.

And so on and so forth.

I'm not saying that every opening needs to go to a black man; rather what I am saying is that Flores basically has a point when it comes to minorities getting fair opportunities in the NFL. We see a lot of white re-treads everywhere, but the moment a black man fumbles his opportunity (no pun intended), they may never get another chance.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
No, not necessarily. It still depends on the person overall.

But here's an example--Josh McCown has not had one lick of experience coaching at ANY level in the NFL, yet he's a finalist (admittedly alongside Flores) for the Texans job. How and why? The odds-on answer is because he's a good ole white boy.

Brian Flores, meanwhile, took over a pretty laughable Miami franchise and actually had back-to-back winning seasons and was surprisingly dismissed.

Leslie Frazier has done well for himself in Buffalo and can't get a job; Todd Bowles has shown well in TB and can't get a job; Jim Caldwell was one of the best coaches Detroit has ever had, and while that's not exactly saying much because Detroit is a bad team, he still can't land a job; Byron Leftwich supposedly has Tom f***ing Brady vouching for him with Jacksonville and they're still parading other white people around as if they're looking for any reason to not hire him.

And so on and so forth.

I'm not saying that every opening needs to go to a black man; rather what I am saying is that Flores basically has a point when it comes to minorities getting fair opportunities in the NFL. We see a lot of white re-treads everywhere, but the moment a black man fumbles his opportunity (no pun intended), they may never get another chance.

I ask because this is something that's often brought up. People will complain that the coaching hires aren't representative of the demographics of NFL players.

Once you decide a background as a player isn't a pre-requisite (for being a head coach), you're confronted with the reality that the majority of the leagues players are a demographic that's only 15% of the overall population.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
What was wrong with the Football team?

shiit-sheesh.gif

script>
Because it sounds like soccer and f*** soccer!

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
no you’re gonna need to get your crayons out and draw me more specific cases that we can focus instead of generalizing such as trump(I’m not a fan)and by this what is it trunp said that leads to to believe this

If we dive into history couple things here I lost 8 family members to the eradication of slavery in America going back further I can show you how northers were Fiercly anti slavery remember the ahmistad(sp?) a few specific examples I can expand on if necessary.

I don't think so, chief.

You see, I don't believe you're attempting to converse in good faith, as such it would be a fool's errand for me to do this because the goal posts would, inevitably, be moved.

Reactions: Avs91

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Do you think Flores would've been given a second chance had he accepted a job and then decided not to show up?

I’m not really sure - if Flores didn’t get hired in this go around, I think he would have been considered for a lot of jobs next year. Tough to say. I don’t think Josh got offered a lot of jobs immediately after the Broncos fiasco though either. Honestly (I’ll get grilled for this) but I think Josh McDaniels is a fantastic x and o’s coach and Flores is as well. But man - I don’t know what it is with the Pats guys that come in and want to destroy culture. There’s the culture and people aspect of leadership. Flores was handed Tua but wanted Deshaun instead. I think that rubbed everyone wrong, despite the fact that Flores is a winner and squeaked out all those wins at the end of the year for Miami. Whether it’s Miami or San Francisco or Denver or wherever - you have to be able to fit into an existing team and rally people rather than just cutting players and blowing up everything to zero. That was my rub with Flores. It’s got nothing to do with the color of his skin.

Reactions: Avaholics Anonymous

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Given Raiderfan rowdiness, I doubt McDaniels will develop that weird cult he had around here. And good luck selling them on analytics when they can’t count to 16 without taking both shoes off.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Nuggets need to trade Will Barton for an upgrade.

Last night, he goes 6-16, 14 pts, in 35 minutes... No Jokic or Gordon, so WB basically had all the offense going through him, and he really flamed out. Conversely, the Jazz were without their two best players as well in Gobert and Mitchell. WB makes 15,625,000, which is fourth most on the team. We need a better player in that spot, IMO.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO

I agree a lot with this. The thing I don’t understand is a lot of the arguments that are used in race discussions are flawed sometimes. I keep hearing the argument that everything needs to be equal with a mix of minorities that represents the demographic numbers of our country. While that sounds good on a new cast or a LinkedIn post, the ironies in it are kind of crazy. I mean the NFL ownership is (I think) 100% white. Robert Smith was rumored to be bidding on the Broncos but instead he wants to put his money into causes for reform/justice. So is the NFL at fault there? As a Broncos fan I would have loved to have had Smith as an owner. What about the league being comprised of 70-80% black players? Is that ok and we just forget the white dudes trying to make it (or Asian Americans? Or any other race?). I don’t know - not trying to sound insensitive but this is the stuff I wonder when people just throw out these monster narratives that are supposed to sound good but are nearly impossible to make everyone happy (and equal, as they’re supposedly intended to do).

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
After what happened with McDaniels there's no way I can imagine them trying to sell the fanbase on another Pats assistant. Makes me think the interview was a sham.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I’m not really sure - if Flores didn’t get hired in this go around, I think he would have been considered for a lot of jobs next year. Tough to say. I don’t think Josh got offered a lot of jobs immediately after the Broncos fiasco though either. Honestly (I’ll get grilled for this) but I think Josh McDaniels is a fantastic x and o’s coach and Flores is as well. But man - I don’t know what it is with the Pats guys that come in and want to destroy culture. There’s the culture and people aspect of leadership. Flores was handed Tua but wanted Deshaun instead. I think that rubbed everyone wrong, despite the fact that Flores is a winner and squeaked out all those wins at the end of the year for Miami. Whether it’s Miami or San Francisco or Denver or wherever - you have to be able to fit into an existing team and rally people rather than just cutting players and blowing up everything to zero. That was my rub with Flores. It’s got nothing to do with the color of his skin.

I believe the issue was that Miami drafted Tua because the GM wanted him, but Flores wanted Herbert (and if so, he was 100% correct). That created an issue between Flores and the GM.

I'm not a Tua believer. Both Watson and Herbert are much better.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I believe the issue was that Miami drafted Tua because the GM wanted him, but Flores wanted Herbert (and if so, he was 100% correct). That created an issue between Flores and the GM.

I'm not a Tua believer. Both Watson and Herbert are much better.
Nobody should be a Tua believer. That guy is awful and will be a backup QB very soon before flaming out of the league entirely. How did scouts not realize he wouldn't be up to snuff? Especially that high up in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad