GDT: Ottawa Senators at Winnipeg Jets [] 7PM [] CityTV [] The Top Goalie Tandem in the League!™ Edition (see disclaimer in thread)

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Not sure if anyone else noticed but after the 3rd goal Brady was celebrating in the corner and he acknowledged a bunch of Sens fans that were at the arena with a stick tap on the glass.

I love seeing little things like this. I remember during the playoffs I forget which year but it was against the Rangers. The team was on the bus on the way back to either the hotel or the airport and Alfredsson stopped the bus to shake the hands of a couple Sens fans that he saw roaming around the arena.
It was his grandparents... he hates fans

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
I can’t help but notice that the veteran coach selected by the rookie GM has the team playing pretty good hockey

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Interesting conclusion to come to for a team that's 26th in the league...
It's what happens when you're able to differentiate between the present and the past, the team is 8-3-0 in its last eleven games and on a 5 game winning streak, currently playing pretty well, unfortunately that comes off the back of playing poorly, going 0-6-1 in the previous 7.

Is it just playing free from expectations, is it Jacques finally getting them playing the right way, is it the goalies finally playing well? Probably a bit of everything.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
It's also a bit of what they do every year. We have all seen this movie before. My pet hamster could coach the Sens to a winning record for the last few games of the season (and I don't even have a pet hamster).
They play well and win a lot of games near the end of every season.
Bobby Ryan was saying that training camps every year under DJ were like a country club and that the players were never in very good physical shape to start off each season. In other words their conditioning was not where it needed to be to compete hard right from the beginning of the season. Bobby was saying that the new coach will need to set a tone from minute one next year in training camp.

Last edited:
Reactions: Relapsing

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It's what happens when you're able to differentiate between the present and the past, the team is 8-3-0 in its last eleven games and on a 5 game winning streak, currently playing pretty well, unfortunately that comes off the back of playing poorly, going 0-6-1 in the previous 7.

Is it just playing free from expectations, is it Jacques finally getting them playing the right way, is it the goalies finally playing well? Probably a bit of everything.
We've done well for a few years now once the pressure is gone. You yourself used to post the stats of how well we did from late November onward last year.

We win a few, you see posts about the coaching staff change and "since January 13". We lose a few, those posts stop.

I agree it is a bit of everything and quite crucially, our goalies have played much better lately.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We've done well for a few years now once the pressure is gone. You yourself used to post the stats of how well we did from late November onward last year.

We win a few, you see posts about the coaching staff change and "since January 13". We lose a few, those posts stop.

I agree it is a bit of everything and quite crucially, our goalies have played much better lately.
What I find interesting is how we get on losing streaks, we have three 5+ game losing streaks. We've been very streaky. Technically DJ's longest L streak was 4, because he was fired before we could drop another 2. Jacques had a slow start but since that Jan 13th date we are 19-13-4, not bad, that's a playoff pace, and that's with the roster getting worse at the deadline (Tank gone, Norris injured)

I think the goalies are finally finding their feet. Chicken or the egg I guess, are the goalies playing with more confidence because the guys in front of them are playing the right way or are they playing well in front of them because they believe they'll get the saves, idk.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
What I find interesting is how we get on losing streaks, we have three 5+ game losing streaks. We've been very streaky. Technically DJ's longest L streak was 4, because he was fired before we could drop another 2. Jacques had a slow start but since that Jan 13th date we are 19-13-4, not bad, that's a playoff pace, and that's with the roster getting worse at the deadline (Tank gone, Norris injured)

I think the goalies are finally finding their feet. Chicken or the egg I guess, are the goalies playing with more confidence because the guys in front of them are playing the right way or are they playing well in front of them because they believe they'll get the saves, idk.
We also got Pinto in the lineup on January 21st. He has been a big plus. And Jacques really likes him.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
We also got Pinto in the lineup on January 21st. He has been a big plus. And Jacques really likes him.

He has been a massive addition. Basically adding a 1st line center. The Tkachuk-Pinto-Batherson line has been extremely effective and heavy.

Spreads out the offense with Stutzle-Giroux + whoever creating a dangerous top-6.

Just need the 3rd line to find an identity.

Reactions: DrEasy

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
He has been a massive addition. Basically adding a 1st line center. The Tkachuk-Pinto-Batherson line has been extremely effective and heavy.

Spreads out the offense with Stutzle-Giroux + whoever creating a dangerous top-6.

This is true. But I think you have to give some kudos to our bottom lines too. Our 4th line has been competent, productive and playing very well lately. Overall, the Senators have been playing with pace, reducing opponents time & space more effectively and are playing with more tenacity as well. I’ll guess that the players are more confident with the system that Martin has been stressing now and keep going with it versus getting discouraged like they did before which led to inconsistency.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
This is true. But I think you have to give some kudos to our bottom lines too. Our 4th line has been competent, productive and playing very well lately. Overall, the Senators have been playing with pace, reducing opponents time & space more effectively and are playing with more tenacity as well. I’ll guess that the players are more confident with the system that Martin has been stressing now and keep going with it versus getting discouraged like they did before which led to inconsistency.

4th line has been great. Most impact of any line over the last 3 games. Have found an identity. Play hard, and don't get overwhelmed when out against top lines.

Playing for jobs next season seems to be providing good motivation.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

3rd line has been playing short handed with Kubalik.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
3rd line has been playing short handed with Kubalik.

Agreed. He clearly does not compliment the bottom 6.

I felt he was the piece to move on from before the season started.

Would have been better off getting nothing in the DBC trade than Kubalik. Purely a show piece so Dorion could say he got a replacement who scored almost as much as DBC. Had little to no value at the time, and only dropped throughout the season.

He's an NHL player. Just a bad fit and goes against the identity this team should be striving for.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

Yeah this is the first time posters have been whooping up a highly cherry-picked part of our overall record. If only we could ask the league to not count our losing streaks, we'd actually be one of the best teams in the league! What a genius that rookie GM is! Why didn't that deadbeat dolt Dorion think of that?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah this is the first time posters have been whooping up a highly cherry-picked part of our overall record. If only we could ask the league to not count our losing streaks, we'd actually be one of the best teams in the league! What a genius that rookie GM is! Why didn't that deadbeat dolt Dorion think of that?
Highly cherry picked? You mean, the current stretch? He said we are currently playing well, but you have to spin it into something it isn't... Are we not allowed to comment on how the team is currently playing anymore? Thanks for keeping us all in check, keep fighting the good fight, one day we'll all come around.

• Haha
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Need to acquire Kucherov, Kaprizov, Kopitar, Konecny and Krug now
Karlsson ;-)

It was his grandparents... he hates fans
Ok I lol’d at this

Need Philly to go like 2-4-1 in their last 7 and us to run the table to have a chance (the former is more reasonable though than the latter which requires setting a new franchise record in consecutive wins). Probably a similar pace for other teams like Detroit/NJ/Pitt.

Reactions: Alex1234

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I feel that his arrival has given life to Kastelic game. Kastelic probably sees the writing on the wall, wake up or your gonzo.
Well he’s certainly more lively than Kubalik lol. Kubalik did not fit on that line at all.

I like gauthier last year. And I don’t think we gave him a second thought. I think he would have been totally fine in our bottom 6 this year he has 5 goals in 27 games for the islanders this year.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Highly cherry picked? You mean, the current stretch? He said we are currently playing well, but you have to spin it into something it isn't... Are we not allowed to comment on how the team is currently playing anymore? Thanks for keeping us all in check, keep fighting the good fight, one day we'll all come around.
Did he?

And, yes, highly cherry picked. Just like the raft of useless posts selectively deciding the date that the Martin "turnaround" started based on who the f*** knows what.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Did he?

And, yes, highly cherry picked. Just like the raft of useless posts selectively deciding the date that the Martin "turnaround" started based on who the f*** knows what.
Yeah, in the GDT thread for a specific game he commented on how the team is playing well when the team matched their longest win streak since Brady was drafted, you think that was a reference to the season record as a whole? It's like you seek out things to get upset about, lol.

But cherry picked, sure. He cherry picked (something) by saying they had the team playing well.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Yeah, in the GDT thread for a specific game he commented on how the team is playing well when the team matched their longest win streak since Brady was drafted, you think that was a reference to the season record as a whole? It's like you seek out things to get upset about, lol.

But cherry picked, sure. He cherry picked (something) by saying they had the team playing well.
Wow, he said all of that in this post???
I can’t help but notice that the veteran coach selected by the rookie GM has the team playing pretty good hockey
As for the bolded, where did I say he cherry-picked a specific record? But I can see how you like to get wound up about something that wasn't said (Is that seeking out things to get upset about???) and then project that on to someone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad