HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
yeah that's true... but that was his 9th season. he only had 1x 56 pioint before that. the rest were mid 40s or lower ... I don't think most people are gonna be expecting a player with that sort of sample size and consistency over it, to suddenly explode into a 100 point player.

that's all I'm saying... he was a good player, but nothing at the time he was traded suggested he'd become the player he is now.

He had a 58 points season too, you're not counting his production with TB the year he was traded. He had two years only where he was established, a 20 goal 40 points year in his first full year, a 56 points season as the second leading scorer then he was traded as he was pacing for over 50 points. I don't think it's fair to frame his as a 40 points guy at all at the time of the trade. His first three seasons were spent up down the minors, he was their second leading scorer at only 23 when they finished with 102 points. I thought he had 70+ points potential, but probably had attitude issues. Two teams gave up on a young player with good numbers, with that amount of skill and strength too.

I think his time in TB probably made him the player he is. He likely learned a lot from the all the elite players there and he got a wake up call when they got rid of him. Vancouver reaped the benefits.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grantham and Rozz

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.
He had a 58 points season too, you're not counting his production with TB the year he was traded. He had two years only where he was established, a 20 goal 40 points year in his first full year, a 56 points season as the second leading scorer then he was traded as he was pacing for over 50 points. His first three seasons were spent up down the minors, he was their second leading scorer at only 23 when they finished with 102 points. I thought he had 70+ points potential, but probably had attitude issues. Two teams gave up on a young player with good numbers, with that amount of skill and strength too.

I don't see a 58 point season. just a 56 or lower.. but if you saw that he was going to become this elite of a player than I'd say you're smarter than most lol cause when I look at his first 8 years nothing I see says 100point player. but I was wrong lol

edit: never mind.. ur right I'm not adding the Tampa and new York trade year together... still nothing suggested that he was going to be a 100 point player before he was traded. 56 or lower in the first 7/8 years .. which was the question.. why would Gorton trade this superstar... he wasn't the player he is now when he was traded. I think my point is still valid.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240428_203258_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240428_203258_Chrome.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
I can't dog on Ovi too much. What he's doing at this age is incredible.
hehe, no, what Sid is doing at his age is incredible. Ovi is floating out there and costing them goals. zero points in 4 games.

if somehow Ovi manages to beat Gretzky's record, to me there'll be a little asterisk regarding how he got there. float float float, tee up PPG from his spot

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
hehe, no, what Sid is doing at his age is incredible. Ovi is floating out there and costing them goals. zero points in 4 games.

if somehow Ovi manages to beat Gretzky's record, to me there'll be a little asterisk regarding how he got there. float float float, tee up PPG from his spot
Now he just stands beside the net for the entire time he is on the PP>

red devil

Oct 14, 2004

Ovi scored 50 goals when he was 36

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I don't see a 58 point season. just a 56 or lower.. but if you saw that he was going to become this elite of a player than I'd say you're smarter than most lol cause when I look at his first 8 years nothing I see says 100point player. but I was wrong lol
2018. You're not adding up the 18 points he scored with TB.

Im not saying I saw him as a 100 point guy, though scoring has gone up significantly. But he was showing a ton of skill and only getting better every year offensively with NY. It's not common to be the second leading scorer of a playoff Rangers team at 23, with Vigneault as coach. I was surprised TB was adding that much skill with one trade. I thought Miller was going to be a 70+ player,

Reactions: Rozz

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.
2018. You're not adding up the 18 points he scored with TB.

Im not saying I saw him as a 100 point guy, though scoring has gone up significantly. But he was showing a ton of skill and only getting better every year offensively with NY. It's not common to be the second leading scorer of a playoff Rangers team at 23, with Vigneault as coach. I was surprised TB was adding that much skill with one trade. I thought Miller was going to be a 70+ player,
yeah I just noticed my mistake.. I edited my post to reflect my missing that

Reactions: Andrei79

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
They were always mediocre. Saros does his usual choke. O'Reilly his invisible act. even if they won they would probably have blown the series and lost to an AHL goalie.
Not sure what games you are watching but they completely dominated the Canucks this game and have neutralized them for most of the series. Sissons missed the worst empty netter in NHL history and Canucks got lucky by showing up for 5 minutes.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Oh yeah.

Capitals are the worst team I've seen make the playoffs.
There was a time this year I worried about them outtanking us - they looked horrendous - but strung a few wins together, more than another large group of crap teams in the east, to sneak into the WC spot.

Reactions: Rozz

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Even though Sid and Ovi were drafted 1 year apart, Ovi is actually 2 years older than him because he was a late birthday when he was drafted. We need to wait for 2 years to see how Sid still plays the game to compare to Ovi this year.

Yep, while Crosby was an august birthday. Ovechkin missed the previous draft by a day. The capitals even tried to pick him with their last pick in 2003.

Reactions: Leto and red devil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad