News: Pagnotta - Lindholm interested in staying with Flames.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Sure, but Gaudreau wasn't shuffled to RW and told to completely change his game last year. In Sutter's first season, Gaudreau scored 49 in 56GP. Is that ratio closer to 35% or 21%? Gaudreau went to a different team but was allowed to play his own style. Huberdeau went to a new team but had to play a totally new style. That's why there's lots of optimism he will bounce back to around 90 points which would be considered regression to the mean.

Lindholm and Markstrom are also expected to do the same. Both are down after the birth of their kids. Gaudreau is also down as of last year which also coincides with the birth of his kid.
49/155 goals = 29.6%. Keep in mind that Gaudreau spent over 2/3 of the season with a Sean monahan that was all but cooked. And it’s funny too, there were people who kept saying that Gaudreau “figured out sutter’s style” near the end of the season, but it really wasn’t that. It was him playing with lindy and tkachuk.

Huberdeau largely didn’t have that problem. Now yes, he was stuck with Milan lucic for 1/4 of the season, but he also spent virtually the entire season with lindholm or Kadri. And yes, the rw stuff wasn’t great either, but he wasn’t up to snuff on lw either. Yeah the team didn’t utilize him on the pp properly, but his ES play until the last 20 games was nothing to write home about (and was at points downright awful). This narrative about “style” to me frankly seems like an easy way to put the responsibility off the player. Yes, the coach needs to do better to put him in a position to succeed, but there is only so much that can be done. Quite frankly, what I saw was a total lack of chemistr with anyone on the roster. And that can be fixable and change (see ferland with Gaudreau and monahan for example), but it’s also very problematic when a player is tried with everyone and nothing sticks.

Huberdeau, Kadri, Lindholm, and Mangiapane collectively scored 57 goals and 121 points less points than they did the previous season. They all struggled to a large degree at times.

Allowing Huberdeau to play his game is absolutely the most simplistic solution. You don't try and change a point per game (+) guy after paying him 80+M dollars. He needs to be deployed and utilized as a 10M dollar player and he might just have a chance at producing at that level. You can't tell him to play a risk averse game while giving him middling second line minutes, on his off-wing, with a revolving door of relatively poor teammates and expect him to produce as a superstar. He was set up for failure by a dinosaur coach who was too stubborn to admit he was wrong, and we all know it.
I’d put mangiapane on the sideline of this conversation because he was injured. Regarding lindholm and Kadri, what you saw was career high play regress to the mean. Kadri was smack dab in the career agegerse range, and the season he just had would’ve been better than 2/3 of the seasons he had in Colorado. As for lindholm, same idea. Even if you just want to look at this pts paces since coming to Calgary (on an 82 game basis), it’s 79, 63, 68, 82, 64. Lindholm is a player who will straddle the 60-80 pt range and that’s what he was this year.

Keep in mind that tofolli, backlund, and dube had career seasons, and two of these players were in their 30s. For all the ideas about how bad regression was, the team still scored 260 gf. Really, the only player who really regressed hard was Huberdeau. He needs to be better, and he won’t have any more excuses.

Reactions: Fig

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I’d put mangiapane on the sideline of this conversation because he was injured. Regarding lindholm and Kadri, what you saw was career high play regress to the mean. Kadri was smack dab in the career agegerse range, and the season he just had would’ve been better than 2/3 of the seasons he had in Colorado. As for lindholm, same idea. Even if you just want to look at this pts paces since coming to Calgary (on an 82 game basis), it’s 79, 63, 68, 82, 64. Lindholm is a player who will straddle the 60-80 pt range and that’s what he was this year.

Keep in mind that tofolli, backlund, and dube had career seasons, and two of these players were in their 30s. For all the ideas about how bad regression was, the team still scored 260 gf. Really, the only player who really regressed hard was Huberdeau. He needs to be better, and he won’t have any more excuses.

I don't disagree that Huberdeau needs to be better (and he will be), but he was the most underutilized talent in the NHL last season. It's not going to take some magical season to get him back on track. Darryl is a guy who has routinely stifled the confidence, creativity and production of his top players for years on end now. Considering the circumstances a major bounce back should be viewed as the expectation and not blind optimism.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Lindholm was fine last year. His problem was carrying Dube and Toffoli. It's crazy to waste your best center on those two. He's not Crosby. Kadri was fantastic until I'm pretty sure he gave up around February. Got demoted to third line. Not overly concerned with him with Sutter gone.

Put Huberdeau with Lindholm. Give them twenty minutes, whoever has the hot hand and tell the defense to push the puck.

Like the fact that was never even attempted is insane. Just three equal lines getting equal minutes all year with defenders playing it safe.

Give kylington and Andersson the go ahead to skate when Huberdeau is on the ice and he'll get 90 points easy imo

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
if Larkin can get over 8M a year then Lindholm easily gets the same. They’re both literally even players. Lindholm won’t be taking a hometown discount in Calgary

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
if Larkin can get over 8M a year then Lindholm easily gets the same. They’re both literally even players. Lindholm won’t be taking a hometown discount in Calgary
All I keep reading and hearing is CGY has offered him close to 9 and Lindholm hasn't done a thing about it. I would second guess my offer to him if he can't even take that much money. His head might not fully be there.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
So much angst because Lindholm hasn't signed yet. I think he will. He's trying to enjoy his short summer in Sweden with his family secure in the knowledge that he has a solid offer. I think his agent and Conroy may be quibbling over certain nuances in the contract while Conroy concentrates on other pending UFA's and otherwise taking a summer break as well.

Lindholm expressed frustration at the end of last season, but hope springs eternal this time of year. New coaches, new philosophy and some young blood will fuel those competitive juices.

He'll sign and I'd bet there will be a caveat in their somewhere that if the Flames enter a rebuild he can get out.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
All I keep reading and hearing is CGY has offered him close to 9 and Lindholm hasn't done a thing about it. I would second guess my offer to him if he can't even take that much money. His head might not fully be there.
Or, like a lot of people close to the team have said, hes waiting to see how the culture has changed. Flames have been very clear they are not listening to offers on Lindholm. Multiple insiders have reported the offer on the table. My money is that the offer is acceptable to him and hes waiting to see how the mood around the team is at training camp.

Reactions: CF84

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad