Confirmed with Link: Panthers claim Seth Griffith off waivers

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
smart move, I'd like to see him on the top line, give him a chance, could be a march type

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Read on the Bruins board a year ago or so that his skating is an issue. For a small guy that's a gamebreaker.

Seems like a AHL all star but just can't break through on the NHL level.
Skating being the issue.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
He looked decent in the few chances he got with the leafs. Made a couple creative plays.. (And by few, probably less then 10 shifts). Some leafs fans would have preferred waiving someone else and giving him more of a shot, but I think ultimately, our team and prospect pool is filled with wingers of similar size/skillset minus skating issues. If that was not the case, we may have waived someone else.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
At this stage can't hurt trying to find someone with some offensive skill.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
About the skating: I think he is more of a Marchessault type skater (north/south). Doesn't mean he's not a good lateral skater, it's just not as elite as his speed.

I'm very happy with the selection. He will bring another weapon to the PP (probably 2nd unit at first). Obviously his strengths are hockey IQ, skill, vision, passing, and a good shot. Likely Rau will head back to Springfield after the game tonight. Some may wonder how he slid to the Cats in waivers. After Nov 1st, waivers selection switches from previous season record to the teams current record. Cats lousy play gave them a shot that they probably would not have had if the Leafs unloaded him prior to that date.

The big question is will Nick retain 3C. If Nick is going to play the wing, it's possible he may play the off wing as he seems more comfortable cycling up the left boards just as Jagr is more comfortable cycling up the right boards. In fact adding Nick to the 1st line just might rejuvenate both Barkov and Jagr. Have to wait and see what the braintrust comes up with. :)

Last edited:

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Griffith won't need to get a visa to play...he has one from the Bruins. Joining the team tomorrow.

He'll wear #33

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
weren't there rumors about us wanting him last season or in the offseason? potentially if boston wanted someone like kulikov/gudbranson that he was one of the pieces we were looking at? idk, maybe not, couldve just been an old thread in the trade rumors/proposals thread but its funny either way how he ended up here anyways, and it didnt cost us anything so that works out. i wanna see him play with malgin.

Marchessault-Barkov-Jagr
Jokinen-Trocheck-Smith
Sceviour-Malgin-Griffith
McKegg-MacKenzie-Bjugstad

give bjugstad 2 or 3 games to get back into it, see how he likes the wing, while also seeing a bit of griffith.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
If he's actually good, why did the Leafs unload him? I don't get it.
Leafs are loaded at RW in top 6 (where Griffith is most effective). The Leafs were facing a roster crunch with Josh Leivo due to return from an AHL conditioning stint and Matt Hunwick activated from injured reserve, making Griffith the odd-man out.

Mike Babcock also said the knock on Griffith is his failure to play competitive without the puck and his 200' game. He said the ball was in his court to fix these things. Obviously he didn't correct those issues enough to satisfy the braintrust as his only shot was bottom six with the Leafs. Cats will push him on those issues as the bottom six is where he will get his chance. :)

Last edited:

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
weren't there rumors about us wanting him last season or in the offseason? potentially if boston wanted someone like kulikov/gudbranson that he was one of the pieces we were looking at? idk, maybe not, couldve just been an old thread in the trade rumors/proposals thread but its funny either way how he ended up here anyways, and it didnt cost us anything so that works out. i wanna see him play with malgin.

Marchessault-Barkov-Jagr
Jokinen-Trocheck-Smith
Sceviour-Malgin-Griffith
McKegg-MacKenzie-Bjugstad

give bjugstad 2 or 3 games to get back into it, see how he likes the wing, while also seeing a bit of griffith.

I recall some interest last year too, but I think you're refering to batting post at the end of training saying we would put a claim on Griffith for opening night... But Seth didn't make it to us as the Leafs claimed him from Boston before we could.

It seems management is "high" on Griffith... He was a great prospect in London iirc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad