Speculation: Panthers inquired on Hall

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
You're assuming quite a lot. Surely that would help this year (no argument there). But the cap hit next year and beyond is crippling to the point where it would jeopardize getting Huby and Sasha resigned when they come up (Sasha in 2 years, Huby in 3) since Yandle, Ek and Bob plus whatever Dads (or Hoff since we can't afford both) get resigned for will all still be on the books.

I'd much rather have 3 guys that can score 20 than a single guy that can score 40. The real issue in my mind so far this year is that the team was counting on Tro returning to form, Vatrano taking that next step and either Borg or Tippett making the team in a semi-significant capacity (none of which has happened and none of which anyone could have really predicted).
We don't know how the discussions are going with Dadonov, if they are going well, I wouldn't even bother entertaining re-signing Hall. He would have been a pure rental for a playoff push. If Dadonov gets greedy, then Hall long term would be on the table, but it sounds like he'll be on the table wherever he ends up. The cost is always a sticking point, but I wouldn't have minded Hoffman+Non-Knight Prospect+pick.
I guess I'm more restless than others about making the playoffs and finding some success since I don't feel too confident about the first window for opting out of the BB&T lease that is coming in 2023. If they keep on losing, I'm not too sure about the team staying in the area.

Reactions: RainingRats

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
and for christ's sake, scoring is not this team's problem!
Padding goal stats against bad team is fine, but this team doesn't score well against good team. In their last 5 games against good teams they score 3 goals once. And unsurprisingly, the Panthers got 0 points in those games and that's not because goaltending has been an issue in those games. Only one of those game did the other team score 4 goals (excluding empty netters). So yeah, scoring has been a problem lately against good teams.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
doesn't even make sense on a rhetorical level. one of those guys is a generational player, the other a #1 center. of course you'd go for them if you could and/or needed to.

taylor hall is neither.

and for christ's sake, scoring is not this team's problem!
Taylor Hall is an elite forward who just won MVP because he willed his team into the playoffs. He's arguably better than Barkov.

Scoring is starting to be a problem. We have issues with the depth scoring. If first line is shut down, we struggle big time. Defense has improved, goaltending has improved. PP and offense are on the decline.

Adding an elite talent is never a bad move.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
makes sense. a team that can play defense but needs offense.

maybe the dangle by tallon will light a fire under tro's ass.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Taylor Hall is an elite forward who just won MVP because he willed his team into the playoffs. He's arguably better than Barkov.

Scoring is starting to be a problem. We have issues with the depth scoring. If first line is shut down, we struggle big time. Defense has improved, goaltending has improved. PP and offense are on the decline.

Adding an elite talent is never a bad move.

it is when you have to give up a ton and you have a roster that can't play defense or take care of the puck.

anyway, we're getting nowhere here.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Padding goal stats against bad team is fine, but this team doesn't score well against good team. In their last 5 games against good teams they score 3 goals once. And unsurprisingly, the Panthers got 0 points in those games and that's not because goaltending has been an issue in those games. Only one of those game did the other team score 4 goals (excluding empty netters). So yeah, scoring has been a problem lately against good teams.

you know why we can't score against good teams? we don't manage the puck well and aren't willing to outwork our opponent.

we have the skill, don't have the will.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
So our comparable would have been?:

2020 conditional 1st - if FLA pick is top 3, becomes 2021 1st
2021 conditional 3rd, becomes 2nd if one of Hall re-signs or ARI wins playoff round, 1st if both of those happen.
Borgstrom = Merkley (late 1st pick)
Kolyachonok/Noel/Heponiemi = Bahl (2nd round picks)
Schwindt/Hutsko/Gildon = Schnarr (3rd round picks)

Would be surprised if ARI doesn't win a round, so that 3rd should become a 2nd at least.
Like it for ARI, picked them as my dark horse team this year.
Don't know their cap situation too well about re-signing him but adding Hall and Kessel for a team that struggled to score seems like a major win for them. Keeping Hayton and Soderstrom was a good win as well.

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
So our comparable would have been?:

2020 conditional 1st - if FLA pick is top 3, becomes 2021 1st
2021 conditional 3rd, becomes 2nd if one of Hall re-signs or ARI wins playoff round, 1st if both of those happen.
Borgstrom = Merkley (late 1st pick)
Kolyachonok/Noel/Heponiemi = Bahl (2nd round picks)
Schwindt/Hutsko/Gildon = Schnarr (3rd round picks)

Would be surprised if ARI doesn't win a round, so that 3rd should become a 2nd at least.
Like it for ARI, picked them as my dark horse team this year.
Don't know their cap situation too well about re-signing him but adding Hall and Kessel for a team that struggled to score seems like a major win for them. Keeping Hayton and Soderstrom was a good win as well.

They have no space either. Hjalmarsson & Demers are on IR (nearly 9 million) Hossa is on LTIR

Also, Kellers new deal kicks in next season. Goes from ELC to 7.1 per season

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
They have no space either. Hjalmarsson & Demers are on IR (nearly 9 million) Hossa is on LTIR

Also, Kellers new deal kicks in next season. Goes from ELC to 7.1 per season

Am I reading that right? They have 754k in cap space this off-season?
Was unsure if it wasn't adjusted but as you pointed out, LTIR, Hossa's buried money etc.
Arizona and Florida with less than 2 million in cap space combined, what a day to be alive!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad