Pre-Game Talk: Panthers @ Leafs : Round 2 Game 5

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I was pissed off AF when they were down 3-0. Absolutely disgusted with the team and despised them

They win game 4, great. I'm reading all the comments here with all these fools being optimistic about us coming back from down 3-0 and it's also slowly making me a foolish Be-Leafer again

This team literally abuses our emotions

I thought they would win a "Prove Them Wrong" game in Game 4 not out of faith but just because they're such an odd team personality wise, and could even extend by winning Game 5 by changing their luck at home in Toronto. But then the picture gets cloudier from there. But based on the way Game 4 went, if they can extend one more game it will change the psychology of the series quite a bit.

But like I said earlier, I hope the players don't think of it as a series at all and just play as many one offs as they can. I'll be watching in Prove Me Wrong mode.

The X Factor in this series is going to be Florida's psychology. Are they still deep down the team that went out and partied when down 3-0 to Tampa last year and packed it in? They've made a lot of roster changes since, but is there something exploitable in them? We'll see I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: seventieslord

pnep

Mar 10, 2004
Novosibirsk,Russia
@pnep

How many teams down 3-0 have ever forced a game 6?

2. Historical likelihood of:
- winning game 4 when down 3-0
- winning game 5 when the above happened
- winning game 6 when both of the above happened
- winning game 7 when all of the above happened

when 0-3:

WLW %
game 4
77​
128​
37.56 %​
game 5
22​
54​
28.95 %​
game 6
9​
13​
40.91 %​
game 7
4​
5​
44.44 %​

incl. current PO

start 0-3, force game 5 %:
77/205 = 37.56 %

start 0-3, force game 6 %:
22/205 = 10.73 %

start 0-3, force game 7 %:
9/205 = 4.39 %

start 0-3, win game 7 %:
4/205 = 1.95 %

Last edited:

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I’d like an Auston Matthews hat trick
I’d love an Auston Matthews hat trick
I’d adore an Auston Matthews hat trick
I’d be impressed with an Auston Matthews hat trick
I desire an Auston Matthews hat trick
I want an Auston Matthews hat trick
I need an Auston Matthews hat trick

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I LOVE Barkov but he's been kind of known to struggle in the playoffs.

Also it's wild but this is the lowest penalty calling series since 2015.
View attachment 706824

Probably one of the cleanest series ever, hence why they letting them play.

Dear Santa,
I’d like an Auston Matthews hat trick
I’d love an Auston Matthews hat trick
I’d adore an Auston Matthews hat trick
I’d be impressed with an Auston Matthews hat trick
I desire an Auston Matthews hat trick
I want an Auston Matthews hat trick
I need an Auston Matthews hat trick

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Odds go by where the series currently stands. It's 3-1, so the odds are based on our chances of winning the next 3 games, and then 2 if we win the next one.
I don’t think so because the fact that you have to still have won 4 in a row. That fact doesn’t change as you progress

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I don’t think so because the fact that you have to still have won 4 in a row. That fact doesn’t change as you progress

It's the old argument between statistics and probability.

On one hand, you need to win 4 in a row and that fact stands. At the same time, you have odds for a team going back from 3:1 - we are 3:1 now regardless of how we got here.

Reactions: authentic

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Jarret Stoll on coming back from down 3-0 in a series: “Game 5 is the big one, after we won game 5 we knew we had them, you could see it in their body language”.

Reactions: wingman75

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
when 0-3:

WLW %
game 4
77​
128​
37.56 %​
game 5
22​
54​
28.95 %​
game 6
9​
13​
40.91 %​
game 7
4​
5​
44.44 %​

incl. current PO

start 0-3, force game 5 %:
77/205 = 37.56 %

start 0-3, force game 6 %:
22/205 = 10.73 %

start 0-3, force game 7 %:
9/205 = 4.39 %

start 0-3, win game 7 %:
4/205 = 1.95 %
Thank you sir! Hopefully the Leafs can make it 23.

Reactions: authentic

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
It’s really all about effort with this team. I mean, how many games have you seen the Leafs lose when they are going all out and giving their all in all three zones?

The better question to ask, is how many times have we seen this team give it their all? That’s what is frustrating about this group. When they decide to “start on time” and play a full 60 minutes, they are practically unbeatable!

I want to believe that we can do this and if someone were to tell me the Leafs were going to give it their all for the remainder of their season……

They would be hoisting the Stanley Cup! Of that I have no doubt!!

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
It's the old argument between statistics and probability.

On one hand, you need to win 4 in a row and that fact stands. At the same time, you have odds for a team going back from 3:1 - we are 3:1 now regardless of how we got here.
For sure. The best way to settle it is just win all 4 dam games

It’s really all about effort with this team. I mean, how many games have you seen the Leafs lose when they are going all out and giving their all in all three zones?

The better question to ask, is how many times have we seen this team give it their all? That’s what is frustrating about this group. When they decide to “start on time” and play a full 60 minutes, they are practically unbeatable!

I want to believe that we can do this and if someone were to tell me the Leafs were going to give it their all for the remainder of their season……

They would be hoisting the Stanley Cup! Of that I have no doubt!!
This is bang on. They are such a talented bunch but for some strange reason they just don’t gel all the time.
I think it stems from a lack of strong leadership with the core

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
One game at a time

A blowout would be real nice here, get the offense going and the crowd alive
A blowout would be nice for sure and possibly effect their psyche, both teams. The Leafs of course with an injection of real confidence and maybe plant some doubt in the cat brains. Or! The kitty cats get angry an ager that can feed the competitive gene and over confidence in our Bud's.

A solid 4-1 smothering, holding them to 18 shots, winning the circle 6 to 4, leading the hit parade by 12 hits, holding territorial ozone possession time, and Bunting aggravating Bennett or KaDouche into a 3 game suspension.

Small steps

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
Noticed Sam Bennett got a misconduct at the end of last game, so shouldn't he be suspended for 1 game since it was within the last 5 minutes of the game ?

Game Summary

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
One more win and we are half way through this series.

Win this pucking round and you are halfway there.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Noticed Sam Bennett got a misconduct at the end of last game, so shouldn't he be suspended for 1 game since it was within the last 5 minutes of the game ?

Game Summary
I thought so as well, someone on the mains pointed out that he got only a misconduct not a game misconduct so he can't be suspended. Stupid lmao, no idea what the point in giving him extra 10 minutes on the stat sheet is about. Maybe just to get his PIMs up so it doesn't look like the refs didn't do shit ?

Reactions: capfit9

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
Until they tie the series (and if I am being honest, win game 7), I am pretty apathetic. How many times has this iteration of the team let us down? Let us down in key moments?

Would be nice for Matthews to show up.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If they win tonight, series getsbblown wide open.

Bob is far from a mental rock,just pot a couple past him and he'll get shakier. Lose two in a row and the pressure will start to get to him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad