Confirmed with Link: Panthers sign Colin White 1 x 1.2

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
No thread for this huge signing yet? :sarcasm:

He signed a Matheson type contract in 2019 after a nice rookie year and was injury prone and not worth it. Much like Matheson with the Pens, Florida is looking for a rebound. There's really nothing to dislike here, he's a fine bottom 6 player and there's potential. This is another Wennberg type hope for Florida. And if he's truly awful he can be buried in the minors and Florida only retains a few hundred k. He's playing for a big contract with another team, this'll be his only year here.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I always liked White. Incredibly smart and skilled. Great player. Health was the lone reason why he couldn't live up to his contract. Already proved he can be a very good player in the NHL so unless there's longterm health concerns I'm not aware of I think the Sens gave up on him way too early. White isn't just skilled, he also has a very high hockey IQ and is excellent against the puck. Despite missing much time due to injuries he got notably stronger, started to play with an edge. Righty who can play both Center and Wing. Excellent signing for Florida and even if health continues to be a problem for White the Panthers don't lose anything. No risk, potentially high reward.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
No thread for this huge signing yet? :sarcasm:

He signed a Matheson type contract in 2019 after a nice rookie year and was injury prone and not worth it. Much like Matheson with the Pens, Florida is looking for a rebound. There's really nothing to dislike here, he's a fine bottom 6 player and there's potential. This is another Wennberg type hope for Florida. And if he's truly awful he can be buried in the minors and Florida only retains a few hundred k. He's playing for a big contract with another team, this'll be his only year here.

Why exactly only one-year ?

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I've talked about this at length before on HFSens, but White is miscast as a center. He should be a winger.

The guy is terrible at faceoffs, and he isn't particularly talented with the puck on his stick. HOWEVER, the dude is actually really quite good at finding open space, and getting to the puck first in the slot. You make him a winger on a line with a puck dominant center, and let him go to the net to tip pucks and bang in rebounds, and you'll be shocked how many stupid "lucky" goals he scores.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad