Confirmed with Link: Paul Maurice signs 3 year deal to be head coach of the Florida Panthers (update 3/3/2023 given vote of confidence by Bill Zito)

Would you have preferred Brunette return over hiring Maurice?

• yes, give him the chance to grow

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • no, Florida doesn't have time to see him through the growing pains

Votes: 67 66.3%

• Total voters

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Looking forward to Maurice being held as accountable as Bruno has been for every single mistake, big or small the team made this year!
You mean like how you went way over the top about the coach after every win, for weeks after Q left? This isn't personal, it's about who can get the Panthers the best chance to win a cup. Who's the most likely to do that. Who cares who it is?

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

Taking a game and a half to adjust to the 3-1-1 from the Caps? Going 1 for 31 on the PP and doing nothing to change it and expect it to work out?

I did not want him back but I can 100% see an argument he should have been given more time to grow. But saying he was fine in the playoffs and they got goalied is just wrong.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
I’ll give zito the benefit of the doubt on the hire until proven otherwise. But then again I didn’t place a huge importance on the coaching hire as I don’t see our cup window open right now with the current roster of players and bobs cap still present.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
What? He was in Winnipeg for 9 seasons. How many active coaches have been with their team for 9+ seasons.?

Also he is 6th all time in wins...
Or you can say he made it past round 1 only four times in 24 seasons.

There is an argument he has coached some bad teams... His best result was taking Carolina to SC finals in 2001/02; he was fired by them mid-2003/04 season and the Canes won the Cup two years later. Toronto did nothing for years after his two-year stretch; neither did Carolina in his second stretch.

From the main board:
"[Paul Maurice is] a great human being. But his systems are just bad, especially the zone defence and PK. Our defence never could adapt to the system, there was non-stop confusion and clumsy mistakes, blown coverage, you name it. Your goalie will get shelled with lower-risk shots once you get hemmed in your zone. He is also totally unable to counter trap hockey, which cost us every time we went to the playoffs."

Defence, bad PK and inability to counter trap hockey. Yeah...

We'll see. Not really a fan of the hiring but ready to be pleasantly surprised.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I’ll give zito the benefit of the doubt on the hire until proven otherwise. But then again I didn’t place a huge importance on the coaching hire as I don’t see our cup window open right now with the current roster of players and bobs cap still present.

When will it be then!

50 years down the line: "Just a couple more years and then our window will be open!"

There is an argument he has coached some bad teams... His best result was taking Carolina to SC finals in 2001/02; he was fired by them mid-2003/04 season and the Canes won the Cup two years later. Toronto did nothing for years after his two-year stretch; neither did Carolina in his second stretch.

From the main board:
"[Paul Maurice is] a great human being. But his systems are just bad, especially the zone defence and PK. Our defence never could adapt to the system, there was non-stop confusion and clumsy mistakes, blown coverage, you name it. Your goalie will get shelled with lower-risk shots once you get hemmed in your zone. He is also totally unable to counter trap hockey, which cost us every time we went to the playoffs."

I feel like me and you are on the same page for most things. Must be a European thing! haha

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Found a dope picture of Bruno as a Jet
s-l400.jpg

I'm ok with this.

In the sense I wanted a Kobe Steak and instead I got an Angus Rib Eye.

At least I wasn't given a salad.

Reactions: Laus723 and KW

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
You mean like how you went way over the top about the coach after every win, for weeks after Q left? This isn't personal, it's about who can get the Panthers the best chance to win a cup. Who's the most likely to do that. Who cares who it is?

People really think Maurice is the guy? Like seriously?

We shall see.

I predict a 1st round exit next season.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Eh, from the outside looking in, I can see why so many would say Bruno was fine. Regular season was obviously a good record, 4+ goals, President's Trophy, etc. And in the playoffs they went 4-2 against Washington, held off the mighty Ovechkin, and on paper would look like they got Vasi'd.

I'd say regular season he kept things together after Q, had one of the easier schedules after Christmas, struggled against certain types of teams (i.e. Seattle, Washington), and clearly had team cheating for offense. In playoffs, power play was awful, we were inches away from going down 3-1, player usage was odd, and team seemed flat.

And I'm one of Bruno's biggest defenders. I thought he was put into a tough situation, handled it the best he could, and deserved to show what he could do in the playoffs. I still think he can become a good coach with more experience, players seem to like him and from commentary sounds like he's a very smart hockey mind.

If we were going into a re-tool (which btw I think we should do...) then I'd be fine giving him another chance, but I think this team will continue to go for it so that requires an experienced coach. Maurice seems to get the most out of his teams, but eventually loses the room, and that's fine for a team like us that is planning to "go for it". Doesn't matter if he needs to be fired in 3 years from now.

Reactions: Laus723

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
When will it be then!

50 years down the line: "Just a couple more years and then our window will be open!"

I feel like me and you are on the same page for most things. Must be a European thing! haha
Idk, it’s impossible to say. What I mean by the window being open is that I don’t think there’s anyway this current roster is able to compete for a Stanley cup. Not that they shouldnt attempt to get better and go for it but realistically there’s no way a team with Barkov and Huberdeau as the big threats on offense, only Ekblad on D is going to win a cup. They need more than that and I don’t mean just good depth. This playoffs was eye opening to showcase where we really stand. We can do better next playoffs for all I know but we still aren’t winning any Stanley cups with this. The “window” will be open when the right pieces are brought in, we don’t have them right now imo. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to add them

Reactions: pantherbot

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.

We shall see.

I am surprised the amount of positive reactions this hire is getting.

But then again, most also celebrated getting Chiarot as well!
I always was impressed with the way the Jets played under him. :dunno:
Well, one thing is though, you win the cup not just in the playoffs. It's a process to prepare a team to be the best it can be. That has to start in the regular season (preseason technically), and in practice everyday. I hope I can get a better feel for how the team will do under Maurice with how he runs his practices.

Reactions: Laus723

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont

From the main board:

As a Peg fan, the above is true. He has zero ability to adapt in game, reverts to his antiquated systems and continually ran AHLers over youth with speed and skill unless forced to change because of injuries/Covid etc and even then, would swap out the veterans, especially his favs (Wheeler) once healthy, regardless of how well the subs played. His defensive systems are atrocious as evident in Helly seeing the most shots against of any starting goalie.
I wish him the best and would love to see him win a cup. To my understanding he’s a great person and a players coach.
But I definitely don’t see this going well for Florida

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
As a Peg fan, the above is true. He has zero ability to adapt in game, reverts to his antiquated systems and continually ran AHLers over youth with speed and skill unless forced to change because of injuries/Covid etc and even then, would swap out the veterans, especially his favs (Wheeler) once healthy, regardless of how well the subs played. His defensive systems are atrocious as evident in Helly seeing the most shots against of any starting goalie.
I wish him the best and would love to see him win a cup. To my understanding he’s a great person and a players coach.
But I definitely don’t see this going well for Florida
Yikes.

So what would you say are his strengths?

On the "bright side", we don't have a lot of young players coming in so benching skilled youth shouldn't be much of an issue...

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
When will it be then!

We shall see.

I am surprised the amount of positive reactions this hire is getting.

But then again, most also celebrated getting Chiarot as well!

I also don't think our window is actually open much, maybe by another 1 or 2 years. Our main guys - Barkov, Huber, Ekblad - are all on the back-half of their prime years. Not that they won't still be good players, but you rarely see players at that age with the limited success they've had so far to suddenly lead a team to a cup.

I don't think with our current set up we can be a power house like Tampa or Colorado, or the previous Pens/Hawks/Kings etc. We just don't have that star power. If we were to win a cup, I think it'd be more like the Blues. Get into the playoffs and keep taking shots, hoping one of those years captures lightning in a bottle. That's why I think we should be re-tooling to have an extended window of getting into the playoffs instead of going for peaks and valleys.

But, I think management still wants to go for it and if that's the case, they need to hire an experienced coach and go all-in at the TDL. Maybe Maurice isn't the preferred hire with a guy like Trotz available, but the fit needs to be there. Who knows what Trotz was looking for, rumour was he wanted some front office role too, and I doubt Zito would be ok with that being a relatively new GM. So we go with Maurice, a guy with experience who has had some past success with less talented teams.

I'm not a big fan of the direction we're taking. I probably won't like the Huber contract we sign or letting him walk for nothing. But if this is the path they're choosing to take, then Bruno had to go and an experienced coach needed to be brought in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad