Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
People clamoring for Kotkaniemi remind me of when people were clamoring for Puljujarvi because he was going to be the next Nichushkin (minus the off-ice stuff).

Kotkaniemi as our 3C would be like getting Eller offensively but with Kapanen's consistency level.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Speaking of Kap, that stupid f***ing contract Hextall gave him is up. :laugh: Wonder if he signs for league minimum or just heads to Europe.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
People clamoring for Kotkaniemi remind me of when people were clamoring for Puljujarvi because he was going to be the next Nichushkin (minus the off-ice stuff).

Kotkaniemi as our 3C would be like getting Eller offensively but with Kapanen's consistency level.

It'll be interesting to see what Puljujarvi does next year. Hard to judge him this year based off the surgery recovery, but I thought he showed some juice.

The more I think about Kotkaniemi, Rakell probably makes more sense in a trade if Carolina is not signing Necas.

Speaking of Kap, that stupid f***ing contract Hextall gave him is up. :laugh: Wonder if he signs for league minimum or just heads to Europe.

Feels like a player Colorado, Edmonton, or Tampa brings in on a one year 800k deal.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It'll be interesting to see what Puljujarvi does next year. Hard to judge him this year based off the surgery recovery, but I thought he showed some juice.
I mean, I don't necessarily think Puljujarvi "sucks". But I also don't see anything about him that suggests he'll be this 60+ point possession monster Nichushkin turned into in Colorado.

Same with Kotkaniemi. He doesn't "suck" and is a perfectly fine bottom six player, but I don't think he moves the needles over what we've had at 3C over the last few years. He's basically Eller offensively, but a lot less consistent of effort defensively.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
See above.

Yeah, it's still monstrously stupid.

The sole example of anything even close to that happening to a Smith caliber player in recent memory is with Kessel, and frankly calling Kessel "Smith caliber" by the end of his time in the NHL is really generous.

The reality is that if Smith has a shitty year next year and puts up like 30 points, he'll get a 1 year deal just like JVR and Dadonov got to see if he can bounce back. The idea that he'll be "forced to retire" like Kessel is just laughable, especially considering he didn't even have that bad of a year last year to suggest he's on some rapid decline.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I mean, I don't necessarily think Puljujarvi "sucks". But I also don't see anything about him that suggests he'll be this 60+ point possession monster Nichushkin turned into in Colorado.

Same with Kotkaniemi. He doesn't "suck" and is a perfectly fine bottom six player, but I don't think he moves the needles over what we've had at 3C over the last few years. He's basically Eller offensively, but a lot less consistent of effort defensively.

Nichuskin was not anything like the player he has been for the last few years in his initial seasons with Colorado.

I don't think it'll happen. But, I could see Puljujarvi being a 12-15 goal 30 pt guy.'

Concept with Kotkaniemi in my eyes would be hoping his potential shines through a little bit and he's a consistent 20 - 20 guy with defensive metrics. You can say that is an Eller, but prime Eller was a very good player.

Yeah, it's still monstrously stupid.

The sole example of anything even close to that happening to a Smith caliber player in recent memory is with Kessel, and frankly calling Kessel "Smith caliber" by the end of his time in the NHL is really generous.

The reality is that if Smith has a shitty year next year and puts up like 30 points, he'll get a 1 year deal just like JVR and Dadonov got to see if he can bounce back. The idea that he'll be "forced to retire" like Kessel is just laughable, especially considering he didn't even have that bad of a year last year to suggest he's on some rapid decline.

Sure, I can see him getting a one year 1 million to 3 million dollar deal.

My point is he's playing for his NHL career more so than his "next big contract".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad