Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Signs 8 Year Deal with the Vancouver Canucks, AAV $11.6M

WiLBoY

Aug 29, 2009
He's gonna get paid money similar to Panarin, Matthews, McDavid and MacKinnon

I hope he can generate some sort of offense on his own

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

BigTruzz

Jul 19, 2011
Surrey
STOP using injuries as an excuse. If he was injured Tocchet would not call him out. He is healthy, just invisible. I don't care if your wingers are Megna and Chaput, if you are making 11.6 million a year and paid like a top 5 player then you gotta perform regardless of who you are playing with.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Who is this?

(I also don't think that's such an extreme case -- scoring goes down in the playoffs on a whole and the sample size is modest).

Dominant regular season performer but had a knack for being a liability in the playoffs.
todd-bertuzzi.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: supercanuck

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
If Tocchett wants to get rid of passengers, have to re-do the lines for Game 5. I would go with.

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Lindholm - Garland
Hoglander - Blueger - Podkolzin
Suter - Lafferty - Mikheyev

YeahHeDid

Mar 26, 2011
Petey has always been a bit of a head case. He's ego driven. Remember years ago when he was asked about McDavid, and he couldn't bring himself to say anything positive about McDavid, because apparently saying something positive about him might imply he wasn't on his level?
This year's change of fortunes took place at the all star game. He was have a great year before that, numbers wise. At the all star game he falls down on his agility challenge, while McDavid destroys on it.
I legit think that shit sticks with him. When he's asked in interviews about his (poor) play, there is no accountability. He accuses the interviewer of having an agenda. He hides from the truth in interviews the same as he hides on the ice.
This guy wears an A on his jersey?
He needs a lesson in humility, self reflection, personal accountability, and above all else, he needs a shrink.

Reactions: Jay26 and Nomobo

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
No one else in the league is expected to do what he is expected to do with literally AHLers and healthy scratches

"He should elevate his linemates!!!"

He has a guy who has scored one goal in the entire calendar year and it's mid May on one side, and a guy who was just healthy scratched on the other.

In order to "elevate" his linemates he has to rent an excavator and tunnel underground first. I'd like him to be better, sure, but no other star player in the league has to deal with anything close to this.

Forget elevating his linemates. He just needs to contribute something. We're not even talking about production. We can tell the difference between a player who is creating chances that his linemates can't bury vs a player that is doing nothing. Pettersson's failures have nothing to do with his linemates. He's the worst player on his line. He could be playing with McDavid and Draisaitl and still look terrible. He needs to be better, period.

Reactions: Jay26 and Hodgy

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He actually moved his feet and competed for pucks late in last night's game and looked like a totally different player.

It's not an injury. It's not linemates. It's 100% a mentally weak player who isn't competing. Period.

I don't know if he's scared out there? Or just doesn't want to be playing hockey and doesn't give a shit? But he's not trying and has basically quit on the team. Again.

Reactions: DFAC and Nomobo

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He actually moved his feet and competed for pucks late in last night's game and looked like a totally different player.

It's not an injury. It's not linemates. It's 100% a mentally weak player who isn't competing. Period.

I don't know if he's scared out there? Or just doesn't want to be playing hockey and doesn't give a shit? But he's not trying and has basically quit on the team. Again.
Extreme bias. Reminds me of your Boeser takes.

Dominant regular season performer but had a knack for being a liability in the playoffs.
todd-bertuzzi.jpeg
Go watch any of the playoff games by that era team that are available on youtube.

Pay attention to what the refs let the opposing teams do to Bertuzzi.

Reactions: supercanuck

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

Other than a motivation issue, I am hoping something happened to him personally that is impacting his play. I’m just hoping there’s some external reason that is behind this poor play, otherwise he might be the Marner of this team where we never really go far in the playoffs.

WiLBoY

Aug 29, 2009
Maybe he's wondering if he can still complete that fortnite battle pass if they go far into the playoffs

• Haha
Reactions: Flik

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Extreme bias. Reminds me of your Boeser takes.

Boeser didn't compete for years either. The reason he's better now is the night-and-day change in his compete level.

Like, late in the 3rd period Pettersson actually moved his feet and competed with defenders for pucks and tried to get to them first ... and looked like a totally different player.

He's obviously capable of competing and he was absolutely fantastic in 22-23. This year his compete level all year has been poor and right now it's atrocious. And the result is that he's 1-6-7 at ES in his last 25 games.

What we're seeing now is identical to 2021 Pettersson when he literally checked out and didn't try for an entire year.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Other than a motivation issue, I am hoping something happened to him personally that is impacting his play. I’m just hoping there’s some external reason that is behind this poor play, otherwise he might be the Marner of this team where we never really go far in the playoffs.
He carried his team as a teenager in the SHL.

Boeser didn't compete for years either. The reason he's better now is the night-and-day change in his compete level.

Like, late in the 3rd period Pettersson actually moved his feet and competed with defenders for pucks and tried to get to them first ... and looked like a totally different player.

He's obviously capable of competing and he was absolutely fantastic in 22-23. This year his compete level all year has been poor and right now it's atrocious. And the result is that he's 1-6-7 at ES in his last 25 games.

What we're seeing now is identical to 2021 Pettersson when he literally checked out and didn't try for an entire year.
Do not state this story as a fact.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

Yeah, that’s what makes his play this postseason even more jarring. He looked a lot better in the bubble as well. Quality of linemates is a factor for sure, but not to this extent of the decline in play.

Reactions: racerjoe

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Yeah, that’s what makes his play this postseason even more jarring. He looked a lot better in the bubble as well. Quality of linemates is a factor for sure, but not to this extent of the decline in play.
Its not about the moment being too big.

Its also not "him quitting on his team" like MS thinks.

To me these are really childish takes by frustrated fans.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I don't think he's quit on the team, I think he struggles with confidence, no shame in getting professional help for that. If Nathan MacKinnon does it, any player who struggles with confidence should give it a shot too.

The linemate excuse only holds so much water. He has a whopping 15 sog in 10 playoff games so far with PP1 time + 15-16 mins of total ice time at 5v5 with the lotto line. That's not good enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: arttk

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I don't think he's quit on the team, I think he struggles with confidence, no shame in getting professional help for that. If Nathan MacKinnon does it, any player who struggles with confidence should give it a shot too.
Every NHL player should have that.

They can all afford it. Its only because of the stigmas related to mental health that they all dont use a pro.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I mean, it's the second extended period in his career he's skating around like a zombie, not moving his feet, not competing, terrible body language, and getting zero results.

The first time at least was when the team stunk so it wasn't making a huge difference one way or the other. But to be playing like this in Round 2 of the Stanley Cup playoffs is disgusting. Especially when, as we saw late in the game yesterday, he's perfectly capable of actually competing when he wants to.

And to be clear, I'm not saying he's 'not a playoff player' or anything like that. He's perfectly capable of playing at a level that will work in the NHL playoffs and he did it back in 2020. He's just choosing not to.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Its hard to say whats up with EP...is he injured..?...The coaching staff looks like they've tried to be as patient as possible..How can they get him out of this funk..?..They've mostly used honey, but I think Tocchet's patience is now wearing thin, and he's applying the vinegar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad