Players who are surprisingly not from Europe

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Children born in Germany to foreign parents gets a German citizenship. So they can’t possibly be born there and not have a citizenship.
That's only been the law since 2000 (prior to that, at age 21 you had to choose German or your parents citizenship and could not keep both) and at least one parent must be a legal permanent resident who has been in the country for 8 years.

Which is extremely restrictive and excludes huge portions of immigrant and refugee communities.

Maybe don't comment unless you actually know what you're talking about.

Reactions: Zenos

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Children born in Germany to foreign parents gets a German citizenship. So they can’t possibly be born there and not have a citizenship.

But if your definition of being North-American is simply residing there, all NHL players would be North-American. Kölzig wasn’t born there and has no nationality there, he only resides there.
1. This is not correct*. 1.7 million foreigners (meaning people without citizenship) living in Germany were born there.
Under current laws it's necessary for at least one parent to be a permanent resident to gain citizenship at birth. It isn't like Canada or USA where this is automatic. This wasn't always the case and was previously even more restrictive. It's a broadly publicized issue in the country and it's clear you don't know what you're talking about.

2. I'm not even arguing this. But I can understand why someone might.
"Simply residing" (your words) is IMO not the same as growing up somewhere (and nowhere else), speaking the language natively, spending your entire life there.

Last edited:

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
That's only been the law since 2000 (prior to that, at age 21 you had to choose German or your parents citizenship and could not keep both) and at least one parent must be a legal permanent resident who has been in the country for 8 years.

Which is extremely restrictive and excludes huge portions of immigrant and refugee communities.

Maybe don't comment unless you actually know what you're talking about.
I admit i wasn’t aware of the 8 years treshold, but this type of attitude is pretty f***ed up. It’s a public forum and i don’t see why you have to get so offended if someone doesn’t know something automatically, just makes you seem like a enormous dickhole. Especially considerign how none of this is even related to my original argument in the first place…

Last edited:

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
1. This is not correct*. 1.7 million foreigners (meaning people without citizenship) living in Germany were born there.
Under current laws it's necessary for at least one parent to be a permanent resident to gain citizenship at birth. It isn't like Canada or USA where this is automatic. This wasn't always the case and was previously even more restrictive. It's a broadly publicized issue in the country and it's clear you don't know what you're talking about.

2. I'm not even arguing this. But I can understand why someone might.
"Simply residing" (your words) is IMO not the same as growing up somewhere (and nowhere else), speaking the language natively, spending your entire life there.
I’ll admit i wasn’t fully aware of that, but then again that was never part of my initial argument eitherway.

My point was all along all about Kölzig. If German government considers him German, US government considers him german and he considers himself German, why is this one guy so hell bent on saying he isn’t European?

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
I thought Jaccob Slavin was European for a while, especially with how you spell his first name. Brady Skeji is a other one for me as well.

Not a hockey player, but I thought Wes Anderson was European (Danish) for something for the longest time because of both his name and movie style (Grand Budapest Hotel)

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Etchnicity=German
Citizenship=German
Residence= In North-America

So that makes him North-American to you? Is Barkov North-American to uou?
Yes, there's no conflict between being ethnic German or Russian and North American.

Barkov would be ethnic Russian, citizenship Finland and Russia, residence Finland and the US. What's the problem with that?

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Yes, there's no conflict between being ethnic German or Russian and North American.

Barkov would be ethnic Russian, citizenship Finland and Russia, residence Finland and the US. What's the problem with that?
So what is it that makes Barkov European but doesn’t make Kölzig one?

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Kölzig never lived in Europe for any meaningful period of time.
So it is literally only residency that matters to what someone is? Ethnicity, nationality and eligibility are totally irrelevant?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
So it is literally only residency that matters to what someone is? Ethnicity, nationality and eligibility are totally irrelevant?
Pretty much, as there's no such thing as European or North American ethnicity or citizenship. They're just continents with very diverse sets of residents with all kinds of ethnicities or legal situations.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Pretty much, as there's no such thing as European or North American ethnicity or citizenship. They're just continents with very diverse sets of residents with all kinds of ethnicities or legal situations.
That’s just stupid.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
This is the opposite of this thread but I've always felt like Gabriel Landeskog has the most "North American" demeanor Ive ever seen a European player have. You would think he was born and raised in Canada / US.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I admit i wasn’t aware of the 8 years treshold, but this type of attitude is pretty f***ed up. It’s a public forum and i don’t see why you have to get so offended if someone doesn’t know something automatically, just makes you seem like a enormous dickhole. Especially considerign how none of this is even related to my original argument in the first place…
You told somebody else that they were wrong based on nothing but a gut feeling without even remotely bothering to verify that your gut feeling was correct. You were flagrantly wrong but attacked somebody else who knew what they were talking about based on your wrong assumptions.

Sorry, but I don't think my post is the problem here.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I always thought Matias Maccelli was a bit of a weird one in a tangentially related way. He obviously is from Europe. But not at all the part of Europe you'd expect based on either of his names. And he was still drafted out of the US on top of it all.

Jason316

Oct 3, 2017
Santa Monica California
Todd Gill I thought was Indian because all the Gills here in California are Punjabi. Never knew Gill was an English name.

Never saw his pic just his name on a hockey guide in the 90s lol

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Sweden too, but exclusively for white trash that usually quickly get into pretty crime

this must be a transatlantic phenomenon, Kevin refers to white trash (quétaine) people in French Canada as well.

Also I know France doesn’t produce a lot of hockey players but anyone with a nickname or adjective type last name like lajeunesse (youthful) jolicœur (joyful heart) labonté (kindness) Latendresse (tenderness) Malenfant (bad child) or laliberté (freedom) is usually not from France and almost 100% from Quebec

Last edited:
Reactions: mattihp

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
You told somebody else that they were wrong based on nothing but a gut feeling without even remotely bothering to verify that your gut feeling was correct. You were flagrantly wrong but attacked somebody else who knew what they were talking about based on your wrong assumptions.

Sorry, but I don't think my post is the problem here.
You have extremely weird definition of ”attack”, but hopefully you’ve got all that useless anger out of your system now.

Last edited:

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

These are some of the most surprising.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad