Post-Game Talk: Potential new coach discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I'm sorry to be that person, but I have an eerie feeling that very few changes are going to occur.

I will be so happy if I'm wrong...
I fully believe that you will see all of 16, 34, 88. and 91 opening night in Leaf jerseys. IMO they change the coaching staff, reduce JT's role as 2C and see how things go.

If it's another disappointment, then 16 and 91 are off the books and the big changes occur in the summer of 25

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
This hire is huge, they can't get it wrong.
I'm not saying wait months, I just don't see the need to rush into anything this week.

I get they will have a pretty good sense of who may be available down the road. If no one potentially available excites them then I'd agree, why wait.
I'm guessing this is the message the organization tries to sell on Friday - it'll fall on frustrated ears, which is why they've moved it to Friday. They know the marketplace is hot for change, and they aren't prepared to make it right away and will want time to assess. Especially Pelley, who just stepped onto the train.

It's not the wrong move imo - just not one people will be happy with.

Reactions: ACC1224

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I fully believe that you will see all of 16, 34, 88. and 91 opening night in Leaf jerseys. IMO they change the coaching staff, reduce JT's role as 2C and see how things go.

If it's another disappointment, then 16 and 91 are off the books and the big changes occur in the summer of 25

I think MM is going to request trade rather than risk his contract year being in a place where he has little to no support.

Effectively he works for a boss that hates him.. We are the boss

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
He'd be fine, he had no issue playing for Dale Hunter.

Sounds like he's defending Marner

if Paul had different personnel with the Leafs he would have been different
Players always say they'll cut their teeth for Maurice.

Very likeable human being. But he's also been in the game now for 20+ years.
Finally his experience showing.

Reactions: Rude Dog

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
LOL at fans wanting Sutter, Torts, Kennan types of coaches. That style simply doesn't work anymore. Guys like Berube and Brind'Amour, Tocchet command respect enough but players will play for them. Not quit on them.

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
I'm not saying keep Sheldon Keefe, but I would caution against the grass-is-greener mentality. a lot of NHL coaches would have lost the Bruins series in 5 or 6.

Keefe managed to keep enough parts of the team working to stay in the fight longer than he probably should have been able to. And he almost pulled a miracle series win out of his hat.

granted, "almost" only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, but at least he kept the team fighting right to the end.

it turned to crap at the last minute for you guys, and he gets to share the "credit" for that, but if Keefe was a bad head coach, that collapse would have happened 2-3 games earlier.

Just saying. He's definitely got a lot of good attributes and I doubt he'll struggle to find a job if he's fired.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Do we move on Berube or do we wait on Brind’Amour? Waiting could mean we lose out on Berube AND Brind’Amour….tough decision

Of course, you wait... why pick up a bad coach just because you may lose out on a good one?

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I'm not saying keep Sheldon Keefe, but I would caution against the grass-is-greener mentality. a lot of NHL coaches would have lost the Bruins series in 5 or 6.

Keefe managed to keep enough parts of the team working to stay in the fight longer than he probably should have been able to. And he almost pulled a miracle series win out of his hat.

granted, "almost" only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, but at least he kept the team fighting right to the end.

it turned to crap at the last minute for you guys, and he gets to share the "credit" for that, but if Keefe was a bad head coach, that collapse would have happened 2-3 games earlier.

Just saying. He's definitely got a lot of good attributes and I doubt he'll struggle to find a job if he's fired.

A lot of teams would have also close out Montreal
A lot of teams also would have won if you played 5 games at home like we did against Columbus

0-8 in closing games. A lot of coaches in NHL would be able to win 1 game out one of them

Grass doesn't have to be greener on the other side, it just has to be different

His coaching numbers are highly inflated by the fact that he inherited a very talented team

Many coaches benefited from getting a good team. See Mark Crawford when he inherited Colorado in mid 90s. Won a championship with Avs, got fired 3 years later
Go see his records with a lesser talented teams. Dude sucked balls

That is Keefe. Someone who looks better than he is.

Keefe will get a job. His numbers are good. Someone will give him an opportunity. Just like Dubas, used the leafs to build a nice profile. Except neither could have done jack here

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
A lot of teams would have also close out Montreal
A lot of teams also would have won if you played 5 games at home like we did against Columbus

0-8 in closing games. A lot of coaches in NHL would be able to win 1 game out one of them

Grass doesn't have to be greener on the other side, it just has to be different

His coaching numbers are highly inflated by the fact that he inherited a very talented team

Many coaches benefited from getting a good team. See Mark Crawford when he inherited Colorado in mid 90s. Won a championship with Avs, got fired 3 years later
Go see his records with a lesser talented teams. Dude sucked balls

That is Keefe. Someone who looks better than he is.

Keefe will get a job. His numbers are good. Someone will give him an opportunity. Just like Dubas, used the leafs to build a nice profile. Except neither could have done jack here
Reminder: Sheldon Keefe is the only current head coach to win an NHL playoff series behind the Leafs bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad