Pre-Consolidation Draft

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
The big edge cases to wrangle with are off the top of my head that people would be interested in are

- Frank Boucher
- Eddie Shore
- Howie Morenz
- Aurele Joliant
- Bill Cook
- Bun Cook
- Nels Stewart
- Hooley Smith

And most of these guys have such poor legacy as just pre-consolidation players

All excluded.

None of them is a pre-consolidation player. If you include them, may as well do a pre-WWII draft.

Tougher case is a guy like Billy Burch, Art Gagne, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: ResilientBeast

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I mean, unless you want to include them just so there's enough big name players. I guess it doesn't matter if we include them or not, and if we're strict with the "pre-consolidation" criteria or not.

But if we include them, let's include their whole legacy.

---

On another front, how many competent rovers are they for the purpose of this draft?

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
I mean, unless you want to include them just so there's enough big name players. I guess it doesn't matter if we include them or not, and if we're strict with the "pre-consolidation" criteria or not.

But if we include them, include their whole legacy.
I think the concern isn’t over whether there are big names or not, but rather if players are pre-consolidation or not. For the record, at the moment, I’m leaning towards all those guys being mentioned are out.

And I think we are going to include players’ entire legacies, unless I missed something.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I think the concern isn’t over whether there are big names or not, but rather if players are pre-consolidation or not. For the record, at the moment, I’m leaning towards all those guys being mentioned are out.

And I think we are going to include players’ entire legacies, unless I missed something.

Having big name players has the advantage of reducing the workload necessary to build a team because GMs already know those players. We're in summer time, I'm not sure I'm up for a big time diving into newspapers to figure out who some rando WHL player is.

Although I'm not sure if this is a problem or not, whether we have enough ATD-level players for our purpose already or not (including the Jack Darragh types). I'll see if I can come up with a list of possible candidates to be drafted, and how the numbers works out.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
My suggestion would be a number of relevant pre-consolidation seasons (relevant as defined as something akin to a full season of play).

If you set it at 3, I think Morenz would be in. If it's at 4, Bill Cook is in while Morenz is out. If it's 5, that is I think where you start thinning the herd a bit.

I don't necessarily think we should make a determination as to whether a pre-consolidation season was a "peak" or "prime" season though. That can make shit really fuzzy and engenders debate in a way that I don't think serves a ton of purpose and will undoubtedly lead to a patented ATD blow-up series of posts. Bright line, reasonable rule and stick to it irrespective of performance.

Set number of seasons with a threshold number of games played (call it 60% or something) in that season to qualify as a "pre-consolidation" season.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
My suggestion would be a number of relevant pre-consolidation seasons (relevant as defined as something akin to a full season of play).

If you set it at 3, I think Morenz would be in. If it's at 4, Bill Cook is in while Morenz is out. If it's 5, that is I think where you start thinning the herd a bit.

I don't necessarily think we should make a determination as to whether a pre-consolidation season was a "peak" or "prime" season though. That can make shit really fuzzy and engenders debate in a way that I don't think serves a ton of purpose and will undoubtedly lead to a patented ATD blow-up series of posts. Bright line, reasonable rule and stick to it irrespective of performance.

Set number of seasons with a threshold number of games played (call it 60% or something) in that season to qualify as a "pre-consolidation" season.

I was inclined to say debut by 1920-21 that keeps most of the wchl in and cuts out a lot of problems

Reactions: rmartin65

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I was inclined to say debut by 1920-21 that keeps most of the wchl in and cuts out a lot of problems
Where the line is is open to discussion and there isn't a "wrong answer" as much as "what date gives us the best version of this project" which is a matter of opinion, but that one is defensible. Ultimately I think taking a poll of the participants is the best way to answer that though.

There's also a question of how to factor in amateur or semi-pro sort of situations - players that were playing in a non-Stanley Cup competing league (mostly a factor in the 20s). Don't have an answer for that, just highlighting the issue.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
There's also a question of how to factor in amateur or semi-pro sort of situations - players that were playing in a non-Stanley Cup competing league (mostly a factor in the 20s). Don't have an answer for that, just highlighting the issue.

Realistically those players don't really have a shot at being selected

The only non-cup contending league of note is the Big-4 before it became the WCHL IMO

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011

The only non-cup contending league of note is the Big-4 before it became the WCHL IMO
Was more referring to guys who played in those leagues but then had a few seasons in the NHL/WHL/PCHL (less of an issue I think). Basically I'm thinking about Bill Cook.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Cook has 4 seasons in the WCHL/WHL and 12 in the NHL

Seems pretty clear where he belongs imo
I'm more curious as to what to make of his time at SSM (based on Hockey-Reference). I know nothing about it.

It's an honestly question - based on his age I would say it wasn't a "junior" league. So what was it?

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I'm more curious as to what to make of his time at SSM (based on Hockey-Reference). I know nothing about it.

It's an honestly question - based on his age I would say it wasn't a "junior" league. So what was it?

Based on wikipedia just a Senior level hockey league in Ontario

Northern Ontario Hockey Association - Wikipedia

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
This is why in my mind it just made more sense to chop players careers of post 1925-26

If you want 3 seasons of Howie where he didn't win a scoring title or win a hart go ahead knock yourself out

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
The big edge cases to wrangle with are off the top of my head that people would be interested in are

- Frank Boucher
- Eddie Shore
- Howie Morenz
- Aurele Joliant
- Bill Cook
- Bun Cook
- Nels Stewart
- Hooley Smith

And most of these guys have such poor legacy as just pre-consolidation players

I’d make a hard line for qualifying and count their entire careers. Offense is easy enough to measure, but intangibles are the very difficult to split within a career.

2 full seasons in pre-consolidation? 3 full seasons? 5 full seasons might make the most sense.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
5 full seasons might make the most sense

This is kinda where I've landed if we want a hard rule.

You must've debuted in the PCHA/WCHL/NHL/Big 4 by the 1920-21 season - "The Frank Frederickson Line"

Because depending on how granular we go, we'd omit him and he's absolutely a pre-consolidation player

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
This is kinda where I've landed if we want a hard rule.

You must've debuted in the PCHA/WCHL/NHL by the 1920-21 season - "The Frank Frederickson Line"

Because depending on how granular we go, we'd omit him and he's absolutely a pre-consolidation player

Cutting careers in half makes it pretty much impossible to evaluate anything outside of offense.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012

Noticed this project. Could be interesting to watch.

Just a quick comment on this. I would say USAHA is worth noting too. In a time when pro leagues did struggle to attract new blood USAHA was quite good at it. Nels Stewart, Tiny Thompson... and so on. There were few players that were better than the time remembers them because they played in USAHA. And I guess most importantly 1925-1926 Pittsburgh Pirates that finished third in NHL in that season was basically the 1924-1925 USAHA champion Pittsburgh Yellow Jackets.

And I don´t see huge difference between Big-4 and SSHL during those few seasons that they co-existed.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
I think @ResilientBeast 's 1920-1921 is the best way to go. It thins the pool pretty well, but I don't think it cuts anyone unfairly.

Any arguments against going forward with the 1920-21 debut cut-off and full-career player values?

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

Just a quick comment on this. I would say USAHA is worth noting too. In a time when pro leagues did struggle to attract new blood USAHA was quite good at it. Nels Stewart, Tiny Thompson... and so on. There were few players that were better than the time remembers them because they played in USAHA. And I guess most importantly 1925-1926 Pittsburgh Pirates that finished third in NHL in that season was basically the 1924-1925 USAHA champion Pittsburgh Yellow Jackets.

And I don´t see huge difference between Big-4 and SSHL during those few seasons that they co-existed.

I guess my comment isn't because of league quality rather what players "become" eligible. And since the Big 4 was a professional league (under the table) that became a viable contender for the cup it's slightly different

Nels Stewart isn't a pre-consolidation player but would become eligible
Art Gagne to me in a pre-consolidation player and stays eligible with that line drawn

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011

When do you think the USAHA became a major player? Because if we are saying 1920-1921, that makes Stewart eligible, which... I don't know, I think of him pretty solidly as a post-consolidation guy. I'm not against it, but I'd like to hear more, if you have the time.

Reactions: Sanf

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Don't write off the OHA. Look at the results of top players from there after they joined the NHL.

Sure but this becomes a philosophical discussion

Players who played in the Big4->WCHL I think would be considered pre-consolidation by in large

I'm having trouble finding a good scoring table for the OHA in this period since I let my SIHR lapse to see exactly who you mean

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad