Speculation: Predictions Thread

Mr Los Angeles

May 16, 2012
we need to see the team from the playoffs, not the team from the regular season. also, it will be interesting to see how quick comes back form surgery. those are going to be the 2 biggest concerns coming into the season. we have as good of a chance as anybody to win the west

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
People have been saying the Wings are not going to make the playoff's for the last Four years.....

How is that working out ? There is too much character and experience on that team still.

They will be in the hunt for a playoff spot.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I'm calling it now, Kings will NOT make the playoffs.

(hey, it worked the last time)

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
(kinda surprisingly) there's not a lot of hockey news right now, so I went to look at ESPN's NHL home page.

There's an article titled: "A lot has happened since we saw the Kings raise the Stanley Cup in June. So we decided to pick the 11 best events..." blah, blah, blah...

GD that still looks great!! Kings raise the frickin' Stanley Cup!!!

:stanley: for :kings2 will never get old! :cry:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Because the west is largely underwhelming (on paper), and it's so tough to repeat?

Travel.

It already favors the East, but this year it's that much more exaggerated if the schedule is basically a game every other day for 5 months. You put on the skates for the game that's in front of you, and there's no crying at the end of the day whatever the result, but the travel this season almost has to come into play even more than usual.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Travel.

It already favors the East, but this year it's that much more exaggerated if the schedule is basically a game every other day for 5 months. You put on the skates for the game that's in front of you, and there's no crying at the end of the day whatever the result, but the travel this season almost has to come into play even more than usual.

I agree that an East team will win, but travel isn't the reason. The Kings for example will have roughly 32 of their 48 games either at home, or a 1 hour flight (at most) to PHX, SJ, or a bus ride to ANA away.

Oct 5, 2010
San Diego
I agree that an East team will win, but travel isn't the reason. The Kings for example will have roughly 32 of their 48 games either at home, or a 1 hour flight (at most) to PHX, SJ, or a bus ride to ANA away.

How about those other 16 games where Western Conference teams will have SIGNIFICANT travel? No significant travel for the Eastern Conference.

We're talking 16 out of 48 games of real travel for WC vs. 0 of 48 games for EC. I consider that to be a large advantage for the East.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
How about those other 16 games where Western Conference teams will have SIGNIFICANT travel? No significant travel for the Eastern Conference.

We're talking 16 out of 48 games of real travel for WC vs. 0 of 48 games for EC. I consider that to be a large advantage for the East.

True.

But a lot of those are going to be bunched up into february. Because of the Grammys, and a pretty full schedule in february. Knowing that, the Kings will probably play only 5 or 6 home games in January and february, roughly 20-25 games.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

The availability of arenas comes into play too. Who knows how crazy the schedule may be. And other than Winnipeg, every eastern team, especially in the NE and Atlantic divisions, barely have any travel at all.

Plus you have to add in the playoffs. It'll be a normal playoff schedule, but when added to what amounts to a playoff schedule in the regular season for an additional 3 months, it's going to take its toll.

I'm not saying an Eastern team will win. I'm just saying it'll be impressive if one doesn't. If the Kings were to win another one this year, and had to go through San Jose, Vancouver, and Phoenix, that's not too bad with the travel. But if the Kings had to go through Chicago, Detroit, and Nashville, plus an Eastern team, on top of the condensed regular season schedule in the West, that would be damn impressive. Same goes for the Blues, or Sharks, or Canucks, or whoever comes out of the West.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
TSN's power rankings came out and the Kings are 10th...the fact the Flyers are rated higher said all I needed to know. 10th, really???

Yeah, apparently Kopitar's injury knocked us down.

I'm fine with not being 1st, but I figured 4th. How many teams have had the luxury of returning with their entire line up from last season since the 2004-2005 lockout, nevermind the defending Stanley Cup champions?

Scott Cullen has some really weird math formula he uses to derive his rankings. I get that and support it, but he leaves zero room for adjustments when the math doesn't add up (like in this case).

When was the last time a cup champion started the next year 10th? It's insulting.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA

I'm fine with not being 1st, but I figured 4th. How many teams have had the luxury of returning with their entire line up from last season since the 2004-2005 lockout, nevermind the defending Stanley Cup champions?

Scott Cullen has some really weird math formula he uses to derive his rankings. I get that and support it, but he leaves zero room for adjustments when the math doesn't add up (like in this case).

When was the last time a cup champion started the next year 10th? It's insulting.

Has to be. Now here is what I don't understand, Vancouver is #5 without Kesler? Is that not very similar to the Kings losing Kopi? Has to be because TSN is a Canadian network.

Ron*

Mathematics is a very precise language.

Mathematics does not account for those intangibles like team chemistry as well as injuries (in the future, during the season). Predicting standings in this manner is for fools.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Has to be. Now here is what I don't understand, Vancouver is #5 without Kesler? Is that not very similar to the Kings losing Kopi? Has to be because TSN is a Canadian network.

I think that has a lot to do with it, though like I said, Cullen has some really weird math formulas he uses. Even when the Houston Texans were like 8-1 or something, he had them ranked I think 8th in the NFL (I can't find the rankings from back then) due to his math. He's never really shown his formula that I'm aware of, just alludes to it from time to time, but he factors in strength of competition played, the players on the roster, past performance, etc.

I do agree though, Vancouver without Kesler is very similar to us losing Kopitar (though I do think us losing Kopitar is more severe). How it knocks us down to 10th I don't get. Not to mention that Kopitar's loss knocks us to 10th while Detroit losing Niklas Lidstrom (and Brad Stuart) is still ok enough to keep them at 7th, A Suter and Weber-less Nashville gets 8th and a Bruins team without Tim Thomas gets 3rd.

It really doesn't add up (pun intended).

Mathematics is a very precise language.

Mathematics does not account for those intangibles like team chemistry as well as injuries (in the future, during the season). Predicting standings in this manner is for fools.

I agree 100% and is why I usually only look in on his ranking occassionally to get a laugh, not to take them as serious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad