Salary Cap: Qualifying Offers (deadline July 11 @ 5 PM EST)

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Maybe the org wants to do that now? Hard to do a mid-season change when things are working fine but offseason makes sense to give opportunities to young talent in low leverage roles such as 4th line or 13th forward.
The way to do it is to fill out your NHL lineup with proper players, and then let guys earn jobs to beat them. Jack Johnson for example came in on a PTO and stole the #6 job from Murray who had been signed to be the 6D.

If Kaut/Ranta/etc want the job they've got to show they deserve it by being better than the next guy. Bednar has for the most part been fair with giving opportunities, like Ranta getting 10 games, Maltsev 18 games, etc, and then rewarding whoever deserves it.

Reactions: MacKaRant

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
The way to do it is to fill out your NHL lineup with proper players, and then let guys earn jobs to beat them. Jack Johnson for example came in on a PTO and stole the #6 job from Murray who had been signed to be the 6D.

If Kaut/Ranta/etc want the job they've got to show they deserve it by being better than the next guy. Bednar has for the most part been fair with giving opportunities, like Ranta getting 10 games, Maltsev 18 games, etc, and then rewarding whoever deserves it.
In theory yes, but if you sign guys for 500k or more above the minimum like NAK would have been then you really can't give those guys real roles. You just end up using their options because you can. If it's young guy versus PTO guy making minimum I'm all for a vigorous competition. Also I think the org knows where these guys were at the end of the season and have some idea of how much they might improve over an offseason. They probably are counting on at least a player or two to fill a role and only if they fail at it will other options with veterans be considered. Besides a guy like NAK quality always seems to show up on waivers, they can do this again or make a trade for one.

Reactions: Richard88

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Logic isn't your strong suit, bud. You want to let an RFA who was a legit difference maker in the playoffs go to UFA so the Avs can *maybe* retain their other UFAs, who are free to sign anywhere they want. You want to NOT qualify him today with no guarantee or already signed deal with any of those UFAs? It is comical that you tried to call out someone else for math skills or how to manage a team. They are not walking away from Lehkonen. Full stop. So your entire argument is video game hockey lunacy.
You are clearly clueless how the QO and Arbitration process works so yes go learn math .He will refuse his $2.65MQO # and force the Avs to arbitration where he will demand 4.5 million and the Avs will offer his QO # , the comparables are making 4 million plus so the arbitor can and probably will side with him , we will get to choose whether it is 1 or 2 years but we will not be able to walk away so congratulations Einstein you just stuck us with Lehky for 4.5 million . Do your homework before beaking . It' s far better to sit down and tell him we can afford to pay you 3M + a little maybe and give you a couple of extra years of term if you want them but we can' t afford to play the Arbitration game . Be straight with him and let him choose his path .

I still stand by that!
Except that was never said so you stand by a false statement , speaks volumes there bud .

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
You are clearly clueless how the QO and Arbitration process works so yes go learn math .He will refuse his $2.65MQO # and force the Avs to arbitration where he will demand 4.5 million and the Avs will offer his QO # , the comparables are making 4 million plus so the arbitor can and probably will side with him , we will get to choose whether it is 1 or 2 years but we will not be able to walk away so congratulations Einstein you just stuck us with Lehky for 4.5 million . Do your homework before beaking . It' s far better to sit down and tell him we can afford to pay you 3M + a little maybe and give you a couple of extra years of term if you want them but we can' t afford to play the Arbitration game . Be straight with him and let him choose his path .
All of that sounds great except the part about letting him go to UFA status. That is the brain dead part of your idea.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
All of that sounds great except the part about letting him go to UFA status. That is the brain dead part of your idea.
Hey its the price of salary cap hockey .At no time have I said he wasn' t valuable or worth keeping , I just said we can' t afford to pay him 4 plus million a year and not QOing is the only way to avoid being trapped by the process .The same three ft×$!s have misread my statements from the get and 2 of them are mad about other threads but thats beside the point , If its between him and Bura at the end of the money line are you going to be happy we paid him too much because of an arbitration award ? Plus who says he won' t choose to stay at a price we can afford when given the straight choice ?

Hey its the price of salary cap hockey .At no time have I said he wasn' t valuable or worth keeping , I just said we can' t afford to pay him 4 plys million a year and not QOing is the only way to avoid being trapped by the process .The same three t×$!s have misread my statements from the get and 2 of them are mad about other threads but thats beside the point , If its between him and Bura at the end of the money line are you going to be happy we paid him too much because of an arbitration award ? Plus who says he won' t choose to stay at a price we can afford when given the straight choice ?

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
Hey its the price of salary cap hockey .At no time have I said he wasn' t valuable or worth keeping , I just said we can' t afford to pay him 4 plus million a year and not QOing is the only way to avoid being trapped by the process .The same three ft×$!s have misread my statements from the get and 2 of them are mad about other threads but thats beside the point , If its between him and Bura at the end of the money line are you going to be happy we paid him too much because of an arbitration award ? Plus who says he won' t choose to stay at a price we can afford when given the straight choice ?
You don't let Lehkonen go to UFA over $125k - $250k. That's a really bad gamble. The risk vs reward are not even close to considering. If we have to pay him $4.250m then so be it. Losing him to UFA because of a brain dead gamble is a fire-able offense.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I liked Aube-Kubel. He was a great waiver pickup.

Unfortunately there’s just not really room for him. You’d have to overpay him to be an extra forward.

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Nichushkin
Lehkonen - XX - Rants
Newhook - Meyers - JTC
Cogliano - XX - LOC

He’ll be an everyday player for someone.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
You don't let Lehkonen go to UFA over $125k - $250k. That's a really bad gamble. The risk vs reward are not even close to considering. If we have to pay him $4.250m then so be it. Losing him to UFA because of a brain dead gamble is a fire-able offense.
We're talking 1.5 million + or - not 125k bud . the last posted number that the team can't walk away from was 4.538m and that was from 2020 when the cap was frozen , the cap went up so that number will be up a little more . He can get us for 4.5 in arbitration easy its not a brain dead gamble its a business decision , some of these guys will not be part of this years team unless they take the haircut . Nuke just signed for 6.125 , you know he wanted 8 but its not there to pay him with so he made the smart choice and took the term instead before all the money is gone to the guys that do take the deal .

Last edited:

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I liked Aube-Kubel. He was a great waiver pickup.

Unfortunately there’s just not really room for him. You’d have to overpay him to be an extra forward.

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Nichushkin
Lehkonen - XX - Rants
Newhook - Meyers - JTC
Cogliano - XX - LOC

He’ll be an everyday player for someone.
Not really he knows we were the only team that wanted him off waivers , he already cleared once before when nobody wanted him so he will probably re- sign for the same deal as long as its one way and maybe a piece of it is in a first year signing bonus . Poor guy has spent so much time in the minors he has only like 3.8M in career earnings .

Sorry for the stupid question but has Lehky been qualified? I'll assume yes, but I have not read that he has been.
No official announcement posted from the Avs yet , theres a thread in the FA section of the main board showing all the guys left unqualified by each team .

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
NAK was pretty good for us, but he's replaceable for cheaper. Thanks Philly for the free depth forward, but moving on was the right call when we're already pretty full on bottom six wingers. Gotta start nickel and diming on the bottom six now with league minimum contracts, and it's gonna get even worse when MacK and Byram's extensions kick in.

Reactions: Tommy Shelby

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
We're talking 1.5 million + or - not 125k bud . the last posted number that the team can't walk away from was 4.538m and that was from 2020 when the cap was frozen , the cap went up so that number will be up a little more . He can get us for 4.5 in arbitration easy its not a brain dead gamble its a business decision , some of these guys will not be part of this years team unless they take the haircut . Nuke just signed for 6.125 , you know he wanted 8 but its not there to pay him with so he made the smart choice and took the term instead before all the money is gone to the guys that do take the deal .
Source, please? Unless it is you brain. If he wanted 8 million, he wouldn't sign for 6 million.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I can't believe he's still going

Crazy concept here but I'm just tossing out an idea...

What if... bare with me here. What if, Lehkonen and the Avs agreed to a contract before arbitration for 4x4M instead?

Insane, I know. But what if they did that?

• Wow
Reactions: RoyIsALegend

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Anyone know until when team or player can file for arb? Really praying that's not the case. No one wants to spoil this great day of re-signing Nichushkin.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I can't believe he's still going

Crazy concept here but I'm just tossing out an idea...

What if... bare with me here. What if, Lehkonen and the Avs agreed to a contract before arbitration for 4x4M instead?

Insane, I know. But what if they did that?
As long as it happens before the hearing starts its allowed but wtf would we pay him 4 million ? have you seen the list of guys left unqualified so far ? He's a 3 million dollar player in this market , why would we pay him 4m for 1 good playoff ? He's a 30 point player not a 30 goal scorer ffs you guys act like he's Gretzky because he scored a couple of big goals this playoff .
As for the" What If" well as of today paying him 4m would leave us 10.9 to sign 5 guys that's what if . Three of those guys are named Kadri , Burakovsky and Manson all of whom I would gladly pay 4M too before I gave it to Lehky , in fact I would personally buy him a bus ticket if this 4m you want to give him was split between these three to keep them .

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Lehk will bet on himself. 4x4 million is not enough to buy out three UFA years. I'd imagine he will sign for max three years total, and at just north of $4 million.

Reactions: ljb4

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Jonas Johansson wasn't qualified by FLA ... watch him come back here.
It's times like these when I wish we had a dislike button.

Also, yeah, let's totally throw away our team-controlled top 6 forward who scored two series-winning goals to UFA so we can lose him on Wednesday along with Kadri and Burakovsky. Sounds like an excellent plan. Let's see if CMac will do this. Big decision for a first time GM upcoming :help:

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
As long as it happens before the hearing starts its allowed but wtf would we pay him 4 million ? have you seen the list of guys left unqualified so far ? He's a 3 million dollar player in this market , why would we pay him 4m for 1 good playoff ? He's a 30 point player not a 30 goal scorer ffs you guys act like he's Gretzky because he scored a couple of big goals this playoff .
As for the" What If" well as of today paying him 4m would leave us 10.9 to sign 5 guys that's what if . Three of those guys are named Kadri , Burakovsky and Manson all of whom I would gladly pay 4M too before I gave it to Lehky , in fact I would personally buy him a bus ticket if this 4m you want to give him was split between these three to keep them .
We’ll see what happens. If the Avs let him go to UFA this offseason I’ll never come back to this site. If they do let him go to UFA then will you please do the same? Please, seriously consider this because nobody here agrees with you.

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
I can't believe there is still this discussion about not qualifying Lehkonen when, in doing so, they would rob themselves of at least 1 more year a reasonable price *after* giving up a 2nd rounder a top defensive prospect. That would be patently absurd. At the absolute worst you qualify him and if it goes to arbitration and he gets awarded a 1-year deal that would be a cap buster (highly unlikely) or far more than he is remotely worth then *maybe* you walk away from it. Better is to get him to a 3-4 year deal that reflects his value. And saying all he did was "score some big goals in the playoffs" ignores that the Avs PK improved noticeably after his arrival, as did their overall team defense, He is tenacious on the puck and showed that when needed he can actually play a Top 6 role even if he might ultimately be better suited for a 3rd line role, Again, the entire notion is stemmed from an idea of cap savings on hypothetical assumptions that the UFAs mentioned (Manson, Kadri, Burakovsky) aren't going to test free agency because they say to themselves, "Oh, look, management with the Avs is so boneheaded they didn't qualify Lehkonen on the hopes I might sign." The opportunity to potentially get massive offers from multiple teams doesn't come very often. Those players mentioned have earned it. You don't let the talent you can keep go on wishful hopes or thinking.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Wait... So you think 30 Goal scorers are only worth $4M?

Man you just keep coming up with brilliance in this thread. Lehky is easily worth $4M. I mean what the f*** you yourself keep going on about how "his comparables are making $4.5M so if he goes to arbitration he'll get rewarded that kind of money"

You're making less and less sense with each reply here honestly. And the first post set a pretty low standard.

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
To be fair those "big goals" included one that clinched the conference finals and one that won the Stanley Cup. He also scored the conference winning goal last year for the Canadiens to propel them into the finals.

Reactions: Nihiliste

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad