GDT: R2G4 - Stars @ Avs - The Gang makes a GDT

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
A god damn shame this is a team run by Joe Sakic. All the shit happening with the club, hiding bullshit like whatever Nichushkin does, trying to ensure Girard didn't get the help he needed, having Toews play game 3 after getting clocked in the head.

Love the guy but he's the f***ing head of this ship. He's got a lot of god damn explaining to do.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
A Babcock coached team wouldn't have laid that egg. That was the worst playoff game I've watched in probably 25 years.
Out of all the coaches you could have listed, you went straight to him blud? That's like saying, we can win any war in the future and you disregard Caesar, Napoleon, Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan, Ulysses Grant, etc. as great leaders and went straight to mentioning how Stalin would help. I mean, like sure, Babcock and Stalin would win wars, but there are so many better options you could have listed there lol. Like Gallant.

Reactions: katfude

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
A god damn shame this is a team run by Joe Sakic. All the shit happening with the club, hiding bullshit like whatever Nichushkin does, trying to ensure Girard didn't get the help he needed, having Toews play game 3 after getting clocked in the head.

Love the guy but he's the f***ing head of this ship. He's got a lot of god damn explaining to do.
If Toews has a concussion, this is the same shit they've done before - and it pisses me off to no end. Not only do they risk messing up the players health/future, but they also prevent the league from taking any action for cheap shots since the league only punishes results. Are the spotters just that bad or is it systemic where they force the players to play through it?

Reactions: MacKaRant

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Out of all the coaches you could have listed, you went straight to him blud? That's like saying, we can win any war in the future and you disregard Caesar, Napoleon, Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan, Ulysses Grant, etc. as great leaders and went straight to mentioning how Stalin would help. I mean, like sure, Babcock and Stalin would win wars, but there are so many better options you could have listed there lol. Like Gallant.
There are plenty of options. I'm just over Bednar. And yes Babcock is even a better option at this point.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Gonna say it here too but just having a ranty soapbox night...

I have always been a big Mikko Rantanen defender. When he wants to be he is one of the 10 best players in the NHL. With his size, hands, and ability to shoot the puck he should be tickling 50 goals and 110 points easily each season. But the dude is the definition of a passenger. He is Colorado's Mitch Marner. And I am getting tired of this shit, even as someone who would defend him constantly, and I just can't do it anymore.

He has long stretches where he plays completely on talent. Where his effort would make PLD blush and he just disappears. This series has just condensed what Mikko Rantanen is down to a single bullet point.
  • Extremely talented winger who puts up points despite his effort.
So what do we do? We need to move on from him. How do we do it? I don't know? Do we chase someone similar age and maybe less skill but more effort? Probably. Do we trade for futures? Probably not. But all I know is we need to do something. I can't take a lazy asshole having the gall to be frustrated when he only gives half effort.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
What? Why are you saying that?

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Yeah after that comment from JJ and that his nameplate has already been replaced you have to think Nuke is gone and with good reason. I have been one of the biggest Nuke supporter here mentioning multiple times how our record is so much better with him in the lineup. But no more from me. He has lost me as a fan as well. It's one thing to do this to your teammates once but doing twice in playoffs in two consecutive years his absolutely disgusting to me.

I will also be very disappointed in our FO if they don't take the opportunity this summer to trade Mikko. However with Nuke most likely off the team for good they will most likely extend him now. That is going to one hell of a contract.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Bednar hinted that Val may not be with the Avs anymore. He said he’s wishing him and his family the best whether he’s with the Avs or another team
Unless you are referring to something else that's not what he said.

Reactions: the_fan

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
Bednar says the team was atrocious tonight.

Wonder if they've just straight up quit on the guy.
I mean...maybe?

I can only imagine the intermissions are probably like:

MacK and co.: "Bedsy we can't get it past the neutral zone!"

Bednar: "Gotta move our feet."

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I believe it was RIAL who mentioned it earlier that the Avs did not want Girard to come out publicly with his issues/use the player assistance program.
I guess I missed that.

It's Drouin that convinced him to do it.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
This game tonight should be the wakeup call the organization needs. Big changes are needed.

Bednar has to go. It's not even close. The guys are severely underperforming. He can't get them going. Time to get someone new. They are not responding to the message. Not even sure who to target, but not Bednar and the piece of shit assistants. Maybe my personal feelings are coming into play but I'd be calling Carle down the road and see if he has interest. Hate to say it but even Babcock would be worth a call. Keefe wouldn't be awful not his fault that his core is somehow softer than ours.

Rantanen has to go.

George has to go.

Don't know what to do about Nuke.

Don't know what to do about Landy.

Drouin is a must re-sign.

A top tier goalie is a must.
Yes. The Avs need a new coach. Bednar's system has taken this team as far as it can go. The players need new ideas, a new approach, new creativity and enthusiasm. There is so much $$ wrapped up in the existing roster (composed of many elite level player) that blowing it (the roster) up will likely result in a long term rebuild.

Somehow Winnipeg managed to exchange a few players, tossed in a new coach and philosophy and gained a successful season. A lot of that had to do with ridding oneself of prima donna players who don't perform well in pressure situations and introducing a new voice and system.

It can be done. I don't know if CMac is capable of it however and I am afraid that he (and Sakic) are going to keep Jared.

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
Yes. The Avs need a new coach. Bednar's system has taken this team as far as it can go. The players need new ideas, a new approach, new creativity and enthusiasm. There is so much $$ wrapped up in the existing roster (composed of many elite level player) that blowing it (the roster) up will likely result in a long term rebuild.

Somehow Winnipeg managed to exchange a few players, tossed in a new coach and philosophy and gained a successful season. A lot of that had to do with ridding oneself of prima donna players who don't perform well in pressure situations and introducing a new voice and system.

It can be done. I don't know if CMac is capable of it however and I am afraid that he (and Sakic) are going to keep Jared.
If the Avs don't want to fire Bednar fine, but at least get some new assistant coaches. We have become lifeless on special teams after game 1.

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
This game tonight should be the wakeup call the organization needs. Big changes are needed.

Bednar has to go. It's not even close. The guys are severely underperforming. He can't get them going. Time to get someone new. They are not responding to the message. Not even sure who to target, but not Bednar and the piece of shit assistants. Maybe my personal feelings are coming into play but I'd be calling Carle down the road and see if he has interest. Hate to say it but even Babcock would be worth a call. Keefe wouldn't be awful not his fault that his core is somehow softer than ours.

Rantanen has to go.

George has to go.

Don't know what to do about Nuke.

Don't know what to do about Landy.

Drouin is a must re-sign.

A top tier goalie is a must.
Under no circumstances do you call Babcock.

Reactions: S E P H

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

I honestly think a new coach, getting rid of George and Rantanen would do wonders for this franchise.

Like just get the dead weight out and move on. You can't continue with the current core and coaching staff.

Under no circumstances do you call Babcock.
I'd take him over Bednar right now. I hate him but I hate Bednar more. The guy had straight cost us 2 straight game because he absolutely sucks.

Reactions: paganini11

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019

I mentioned earlier, in hyperbole (partially) that was missed by some here but I do believe it to an extent: this team can get a new coach, but changing player personnel should be of equal concern. The shitshow that this locker room was all season with all the drama? And that’s with a tight lipped group, how much do we not know as well? And then we have the “effort” that some of our stars have put in, they try harder complaining than playing the damn game.There needs to be a culture change. Not just the coach. IMO. They don’t need to completely blow it up but they need more than just the coach gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad