GDT: R2G4 - Stars @ Avs - The Gang makes a GDT

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
I don't think DeBoer is truly some genius mastermind that is tactically pulling shit out of his ass to beat Bednar. I simply think DeBoer's teams have just been better than the Avs teams. At least their players give effort.
Eh, I don't think 3 times is a coincidence. DeBoer makes the adjustments and Bednar doesn't. DeBoer's players can make simple plays, Bednar's can't. He just has his number, doesn't make him a mastermind, just that he knows how to break Bednar's system.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
I'm certainly not giving the players a pass. I think lines 3 and 4 tried to bust down walls to win this game. But the jump in the top guys legs is not there. Their hockey sense has disappeared and frankly, we know they can play better.

So I conclude they are in acute need of a new messenger. Either that or blowing it all up. Problem is replacing top end talent is very, very difficult to do. Replacing a coach is not.
I don’t think I’m entirely for blowing it up either, but the amount of drama that has went along with this season is a huge red flag imo. It’s not like two players getting heated in practise dropping the mitts, but real animosity towards one another. Very concerning imo, and not sure a new voice fixes that.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Eh, I don't think 3 times is a coincidence. DeBoer makes the adjustments and Bednar doesn't. DeBoer's players can make simple plays, Bednar's can't. He just has his number, doesn't make him a mastermind, just that he knows how to break Bednar's system.
I don't think you can point to anything in this series pointing towards Bednar being outcoached. His team has played like ass and failed to finish. Game 1 was a slugfest and both teams looked great at times. Games 2 and 3 were huge letdowns but had huge chunks where the Avs looked like the better team despite being unable to finish. Keep this is mind, finishing is not on the coach to do but the players, and tonight they just looked like deer in the headlights and like nobody gave a shit.

Nothing here makes me believe DeBoer is any better than Bednar. Just that his players and depth actually execute. Does Bednar make them pass the puck 40 times before shooting on the PP?

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
How about ...."I really ef'd up?" lol
When I first dialed into this board a few short years ago, quickly saw Bednar almost always differentiated. "The players", "the players". He rarely, like I cannot recall a definitive time he said "I am responsible". Was quite off put by that. Which went on for several years.

Landeskog's maturation as a captain meant a great deal.

Been seeing more reverting by Bednar to the Beds of yore. Even tho he said 'we', it was "The players", "the players". Agree with littletonhockeycoach... that part of the organization experience ain't working. Glaring imnsho.

Bummer to me is careers getting wasted in this circling the 2 and out culture BC before cup and AC after cup.

They miss Landy in the worst-er way.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
And he's not the only NHL coach who knows how to do so.

Side light comment...... why do the Stars win most of the close in puck battles over the Avs?

1. They outnumber the opponent (Hockey coaching 101)
2. They take away the opponent's stick allowing F2 to capture the puck.

They don't back off and try to defend the Avs AFTER the Avs have taken possession. They make sure the Avs never get possession.

That's fundamentals. Hockey 101. That's what DeBoers assistants coach.

The Avs play the puck. The Stars play the Avs sticks.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
It was embarrassing the number of times that Dallas had the puck and just had zero pressure until they get to the Avs zone.

Two that burn my mind the most is the play that led to the SHG and when Duchene didn't even have a stick and was able to make it all the way to the offensive zone before an attempt to check him was even made.

Reactions: Iceberg

James G

Jan 1, 2018
Bednar and CMac have a mess on their hands now. It's not going to get better with just a few tweaks. It's been taken as far as it can go. Things need to change.

Oh, I'm not a drinker. Just an old hockey coach who has seen this situation many, many times at various levels of play.

OMG............

That's all I can say then........
My bad, apologies. Perhaps it’s just me that poured a stiff one.

I don’t know how ‘various levels of play’ relate to men who get paid upwards of $12mm a year. Or your experience with them (which you may have).
Bednar and CMac have a mess on their hands now. It's not going to get better with just a few tweaks. It's been taken as far as it can go. Things need to change.

Oh, I'm not a drinker. Just an old hockey coach who has seen this situation many, many times at various levels of play.

OMG............

That's all I can say then........

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
People are always talking about how Rantanen is a 100 point player. But here is a question. How many points does he get on a team without MacKinnon and Makar?
I mean, how many points does MacKinnon score on a team without Makar and Rantanen is the exact same question.

James G

Jan 1, 2018
Martin “f’ing” Jones had a better SV% and let in less goals than grubauer that series. Of course PDB might have played Jedi mind tricks on the Landeskog too many men penalty. These are some class act adjustments.

I don’t know if some haven’t been around long enough, or if their (or perhaps my) memory is failing them/me.

2019 - Sharks were 2nd in the west. Avs we’re the #8, second wild card team that beat the #1 seed flames.

I can’t imagine how that particular loss to the Sharks makes PDB a hockey genius.

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
And he's not the only NHL coach who knows how to do so.

Side light comment...... why do the Stars win most of the close in puck battles over the Avs?

1. They outnumber the opponent (Hockey coaching 101)
2. They take away the opponent's stick allowing F2 to capture the puck.

They don't back off and try to defend the Avs AFTER the Avs have taken possession. They make sure the Avs never get possession.

That's fundamentals. Hockey 101. That's what DeBoers assistants coach.

The Avs play the puck. The Stars play the Avs sticks.
I do notice this a lot, especially on the PK. When the Stars defend they swarm players as the puck is getting to the offensive player. With the Avs, they wait until the other team has possession before they decide what to do next.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I see we're doing the time-honored tradition of the eeking out of a relationship exit plan. ROR got it, Stastny got it, Landeskog got it when he got close...

Y'all started dieting and took up pilates again.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
People are always talking about how Rantanen is a 100 point player. But here is a question. How many points does he get on a team without MacKinnon and Makar?
Last year he was fantastic when MacK and Makar were out.

But I too am heavily leaning towards trading him. I think we need to take his probable asking price of 13M and split it between two top six forwards.

Rants and Mack were as bad. All 3.
They are definitely focusing on keeping MacKinnon from having any space. That's when the others need to step up.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
That Cup in 2022 cost as our soul. First Landeskog, then this former russian winger and AVS player shitting on his team 2 years in a row, last year one injury after another.....Girard entering the program.... And the list goes on and on.

This series shows it again:

This team has no leader and captain. When everything is going their way they can play like a very good team. The moment this team faces some adversity, they are basically done.

As i said it on Sunday: This is the Vegas-Series all over again. Only this time it ends in 5 games and looks even worse.

At this point we are the Washington Capitals of the west:
Got it done once, thank you, thats enough.

Without some major changes, even on the core, and coaching staff, this will continue again and again. Book it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad