OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: New season of plundering begins

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

This is the first real step I think we've seen towards Tellez finally being DFA'd. With the LHP going tomorrow, this almost certainly means two full off days for him and then who knows for the remainder of the road trip.

I imagine that we will still attempt to ride it out for a few more weeks, but this could turn into the kind of thing where if Joe hits today and tomorrow, Joe starts Friday no matter who the pitcher is and what his splits are. Then Tellez maybe gets a shot as DH at some point, but this has the look of "full reset / last chance" that potentially ends before the month turns to June.

There's not much that needs to be said in terms of the pointlessness of running out Tellez given how bad his ABs have been game in and game out. It's not a fair comparison, but Cruz looked very lost at the plate, to the point where I was even wondering if you had to consider getting him a few weeks in AAA to get locked in or something. But even in his worst games, he was still showing some occasional signs of life.

The main thing Tellez has going for him is that Ben Cherington has created no depth behind him. Joe is better as a platoon and rotation player, but there's not really a companion player for him in the organization, unless we want to go on a lark and see what Jake Lamb can do. It should be priority #1 for Cherington to try and acquire a bat for 1B right now. Bell's stats don't look that good on paper but he still has 5 HRs and maybe the Marlins would pay most of his expiring contract to get a marginal prospect. It's not that inspiring on paper, but we don't exactly have a ton of options, especially at this point in the season.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

This is the first real step I think we've seen towards Tellez finally being DFA'd. With the LHP going tomorrow, this almost certainly means two full off days for him and then who knows for the remainder of the road trip.

I imagine that we will still attempt to ride it out for a few more weeks, but this could turn into the kind of thing where if Joe hits today and tomorrow, Joe starts Friday no matter who the pitcher is and what his splits are. Then Tellez maybe gets a shot as DH at some point, but this has the look of "full reset / last chance" that potentially ends before the month turns to June.

There's not much that needs to be said in terms of the pointlessness of running out Tellez given how bad his ABs have been game in and game out. It's not a fair comparison, but Cruz looked very lost at the plate, to the point where I was even wondering if you had to consider getting him a few weeks in AAA to get locked in or something. But even in his worst games, he was still showing some occasional signs of life.

The main thing Tellez has going for him is that Ben Cherington has created no depth behind him. Joe is better as a platoon and rotation player, but there's not really a companion player for him in the organization, unless we want to go on a lark and see what Jake Lamb can do. It should be priority #1 for Cherington to try and acquire a bat for 1B right now. Bell's stats don't look that good on paper but he still has 5 HRs and maybe the Marlins would pay most of his expiring contract to get a marginal prospect. It's not that inspiring on paper, but we don't exactly have a ton of options, especially at this point in the season.

Change the second L in Bell to a T and I am all for acquiring that player.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I don't see a lot of difference between signing Belt and giving Lamb some run in MLB. Given that Bell makes 16.5M, option A should probably just be a few weeks of Lamb.

I think even the worst case scenario for Lamb is significantly better than the status quo with Tellez. Lamb has really been hitting in AAA, so you can assume decent regression in the jump back to MLB and he would still be playably mediocre, even if he's not inspiring as the solution.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Shelton killed another career

Nah Fleming has always been ass. Glad to see him gone.

I figure Falter moves to a bullpen role once he starts struggling.

With us not hearing any news about Roansy though, I wonder if he actually cleared waivers and may be added back to the 40 man roster with Fleming being DFA'd.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
We need as much help as possible as Priester forgot how not to give up six hits in an inning

0*ZjYSm_q36J4KChdn

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah I think on paper, Falter is a better candidate for middle relief and uncomfortable ABs out of the bullpen, but I'm not really sure Priester is viable in the rotation.

I think I read that Eric Lauer has an opt-out in his contract very soon, so maybe there's some more roster shuffling in order, but it's not like he's been tearing it up in AAA and German only just pitched for affiliate ball for the first time tonight.

At least we gutted out last night's win. Let's just hope we can get some offensive momentum and that this doesn't get too crazily out of hand.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Two very good innings there from Priester. It will be an interesting opportunity for a step forward if he can keep this game within striking distance. You don't want 4 runs in 6 innings, but that's a lot more palatable than 4+ runs and an insanely taxed bullpen.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The vibe I get from Priester at this point is that he's a decent #5 option that won't kill you, but anything beyond that is probably expecting too much. He's not a problem in the rotation if a "poor" start is him giving up 4 runs in 6 innings, but he's also not really a "good" starter either.

I really hope Gonzales continues to hit. I'm still skeptical due to his issues making contact in the past, but he has all of the tools you want out of a good 2B if he can just make consistent contact with the ball.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Was good to see priester get himself back under control after that inning

Joe puts us within one... Can we go back to back to tie with suwinski?

Nope. Swinging strikeout to put the nail in the coffin

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Suwinski just drives me nuts. Whiffed 3 times at meatballs. If you can't make contact with fastballs why are you here? He also abandons his patience completely at 3-2 all the time. Selective at 0-2 but hacking at ball 4? Bring Bae up.

I do think there was some bad luck in this game. Brewers made some sparkling defensive plays.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Priester is being sent down in addition to Fleming being DFA'd. Mlodzinski is one of the guys coming up but I'm curious to see who the other guy coming up is.

Looking at the Pirates 40 man roster, it looks like Dautlon Jefferies is now on their 40 man, so it seems like the 40 man roster is full now. The only pitchers on the 40 man that are in the minors are Ashcraft, Burrows, Hernandez, Jefferies and Priester. I don't understand why Jefferies is on the 40 man over Contreras, but it is what it is.

I figure that Hernandez will be coming up to replace Priester after Mlodzinski replaces Fleming. Still though, I'd substantially prefer Roansy staying on the MLB team and Jefferies not being on the 40 man roster.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Priester is being sent down in addition to Fleming being DFA'd. Mlodzinski is one of the guys coming up but I'm curious to see who the other guy coming up is.

Looking at the Pirates 40 man roster, it looks like Dautlon Jefferies is now on their 40 man, so it seems like the 40 man roster is full now. The only pitchers on the 40 man that are in the minors are Ashcraft, Burrows, Hernandez, Jefferies and Priester. I don't understand why Jefferies is on the 40 man over Contreras, but it is what it is.

I figure that Hernandez will be coming up to replace Priester after Mlodzinski replaces Fleming. Still though, I'd substantially prefer Roansy staying on the MLB team and Jefferies not being on the 40 man roster.
Ryan got called up yesterday

Reactions: Empoleon8771

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

I don't put tons of stock into Law and it's way early still, but I do like seeing Montgomery mocked to the Pirates.

It seems like an absolute certainty that Condon and Bazzana will be the top 2 picks, and I am surprised by seeing anyone but Condon at #1, but I have seen a few people mention Bazzana. Anyways, it doesn't really matter which is the top pick for us.

Law's next 5 picks - Smith, Kurtz, Caglianone, Burns, and Wetherholt - are all college guys who right now I would be very happy to see end up as Pirates. I haven't seen the pitcher Yesavage mocked quite this high but I guess Pipeline does have him 11th.

It would be a slight departure from the recent norm to see 3 college arms go so high, but that might just be the way the board breaks this year. Based on drafting patterns, I think it's a pretty good bet that the Rockies will take the arm that they like the most, but the next 4 teams are a little tougher to predict. I think the Angels are a good bet to take a quick moving college player.

For me, in terms of wanting a college player, the biggest x-factor is hoping that one of the A's, White Sox, or Cardinals will want to be in high upside / long-term mode and take the best prep player in the draft. I know very little about Yesavage, but taking the 4th best pitcher is not an appealing prospect given our depth. But if one prep player goes in front of us, then that should guarantee us one of Kurtz, Caglianone, Wetherholt, or Montgomery, and if that doesn't work out, I would not be upset to take either Smith or Burns and just add another absurd pitcher (I really doubt either will make it to 9 though, the Rockies will take one and someone else will take the other, at minimum the Angels).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad