RD Carter Yakemchuk - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2024 Draft)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
1662787298793.png

6 foot 2 / 185 / Calgary, AB

has so far played only in Calgary area in his career.
- maybe flames will draft this guy

played a full season last season, in a minor role
this season i assume his role is bigger?

22-23 preseason opener, 4 primary apples with 4 sog
3 pp points

Reactions: d rake

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
For those interested; Here is his EP:

He should get a lot more opportunities this year could even run the Hitman’s PP1. He is at worst their #3 defender but Could definitely play his way up the lineup. I like this kids chances of being drafted.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
I’ve seen him play lots since he was very young. Good player but his pre season production likely an outlier. Guess we will see.

Part of a group of some very strong 05’s out of west Calgary who I expect to sneak into the draft.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I’ve watched only a few Calgary games so far. And only a couple Brandon games. But Yakemchuk is rally outshining Elick for me. That was especially apparent in the head to head this weekend. Yakemchuk looked to be way, way ahead of Elick. Different tier.

I disagree. They are quite close actually. Yakemchuk is a bit better in the offensive part.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I’ve watched only a few Calgary games so far. And only a couple Brandon games. But Yakemchuk is rally outshining Elick for me. That was especially apparent in the head to head this weekend. Yakemchuk looked to be way, way ahead of Elick. Different tier.

He should be ahead. As a late-birthday he's a year ahead of Elick in development.

Reactions: Blueston

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I disagree. They are quite close actually. Yakemchuk is a bit better in the offensive part.
Elick handles the puck like a hand grenade from what I’ve seen. Big time spazz. I was happy to look past this last season as he was D-1 but I was hoping to see improvement. I haven’t yet. But it’s still early. There’s time for him to take a step. His puck management is really bad. Too many turnovers and just dumping the puck into space. He acts much more quickly than he processes. He looks like a kid who wants to be anywhere in the world other than skating with the puck on his stick. I can relate. I’m also a panic prone spazz with the puck. We can smell our own. ;)

Yakemchuk is supremely capable and confident with the puck. And I don’t think he’s less physical, honestly. He’s certainly more involved in all the extra curriculars after the whistle. Yakemchuk is also more sneaky dirty. He never misses a chance to lay the lumber when nobody is looking. Other teams want to tear his head off for a reason, and it’s not only because he has punch me face. There’s a little bit of Cory Perry blood in his veins.

I see Yakemchuk make a lot of mistakes too. But it’s not unthinking, panicky mistakes like Elick. It’s too much thinking and too much confidence. Trying to be too slick. And he also gets tired. Which is understandable because Calgary sends him out just about every other shift. I don’t think he even sits down.

There’s an obvious caveat here, which is I’m basing this mostly on 2nd half of last season and just a handful of very early games this season. Watching them head to head this weekend though, Yakemchuk looks like a kid who should go at least 20 spots higher in the draft. A full tier or two ahead. Totally different animals. A thoroughbred versus a packhorse.

He should be ahead. As a late-birthday he's a year ahead of Elick in development.
This can be a feature or a bug depending on your outlook and the specific players. For me, given their play styles and tools, I’d actually be glad for this if I’m picking Yakemchuk over Elick at the NHL draft.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Perhaps I’ve picked the wrong games to start focusing on Yakemchuk. But my goodness, these games have me questioning his rankings and his brain. His defense has been very inconsistent. His pokechecks have been pretty, but his lows have been downright atrocious. Served up a major pizza last night with a backhand pass up the slot to a thunderbird.

Along with mistakes throughout the games, he had critical mistakes in both overtimes, leading to the GWGs. Vs Lethbridge, he thought he had a clean pokecheck and blew the zone past the opposing player, but it wasn’t clean and turned into a 2 on 1 against. Then last night, he was quite literally swimming and flopping around like a sea lion on the OT goal, panicked and went down so early that he didn’t cover the shot or the pass on the 2 on 1.

Also concerning is his passing. He seems to have a very low conversion rate and/or poor vision.

Anyone else seeing this? Or have these games been outliers?

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Perhaps I’ve picked the wrong games to start focusing on Yakemchuk. But my goodness, these games have me questioning his rankings and his brain. His defense has been very inconsistent. His pokechecks have been pretty, but his lows have been downright atrocious. Served up a major pizza last night with a backhand pass up the slot to a thunderbird.

Along with mistakes throughout the games, he had critical mistakes in both overtimes, leading to the GWGs. Vs Lethbridge, he thought he had a clean pokecheck and blew the zone past the opposing player, but it wasn’t clean and turned into a 2 on 1 against. Then last night, he was quite literally swimming and flopping around like a sea lion on the OT goal, panicked and went down so early that he didn’t cover the shot or the pass on the 2 on 1.

Also concerning is his passing. He seems to have a very low conversion rate and/or poor vision.

Anyone else seeing this? Or have these games been outliers?
He’s had a few stinkers, recently. Calgary is really bad. His passing is superb, IMO. I see him make some amazing passes that don’t convert because his teammates are brutal. He does make a lot of mistakes. He also plays like 30+ minutes per game. I’d love to see him traded.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
How do people like this kid? IQ is bad and his skating isn’t good also, it’s a terrible combo…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad