Referee Wes McCauley has a major conflict with Keefe, shouldn't be reffing Leafs Games

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Isn't hockey one big old boy's club? A brother-in-law as a connection seems shockingly mundane.

I don't remember or care anything about where Colin Campbell is from or whose aunt's best friend's wedding he attended and was spotted talking to Sheldon Keefe who previously had dinner with a business banker who was the son of Lee Harvey Oswald who was a patsy for the people who faked the moon landing whose descendants operate a cabal out of a Lethbridge pizza shop that run the humanoid robot we know as Gary Bettman in order to commercialize the league to fund the Church of Scientology in preparation for the return of Xenu.
I am sorry. I hope your day gets better friend.

Reactions: Goose

Azazel

Jan 2, 2016
Sorry if someone else posted this image from scouting the refs, but im going to reference it.
FuFXf1hXgAEEBqA.jpeg

So last year Wes in an elimination game, 2020 Elimination game(covid so like ok but still) ,2019 elimination game, 2018 elimination game. Thats a lot of elimination games, seems like the league is having a pretty large say in who makes it to the second round

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Do people care about their brothers-in-law?

Isn’t it 50/50 whether it’s someone you like or some clown you have to tolerate at family functions and listen to ramble on about the engine in his new Kia he’s so proud of?

This is the stupidest non-controversy I’ve ever seen posted on these boards.
Funny question. Why wouldn't you care about the brother of your wife or husband of your sister and father of your nieces and nephews. Not saying that everyone cares about their inlaws, but can't see why it seems odd if someone would.

Reactions: vpasla1

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Funny question. Why wouldn't you care about the brother of your wife or husband of your sister and father of your nieces and nephews. Not saying that everyone cares about their inlaws, but can't see why it seems odd if someone would.

I said it was a toss up. It’s not a given that you’ll like or dislike the person your sibling ends up with.

My sibling’s current partner is a degenerative idiot. I liked her previous partner a lot. I dunno, it’s a toss up.

It’s just such a weak link it seems preposterous to use that to say that someone shouldn’t be able to ref.

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
From a reddit thread discussing the subject making a strong case that Keefe testified to help Frost:

Also while I'd like nothing more than to blame McCauley for the bad officiating, it seems it was Frederick doing most of the damage against the Leafs according to another post in that thread:

Let's go through the calls actually

1st period

McCabe high stick called by Frederick

Brodie hold was Wes

2nd period

Cernak rough was Wes

Schenn cross check was Frederick

Colton slash was Wes

Kampf slash was Frederick

Bunting major was also maybe Frederick but a bit irrelevant

Delay of game is essentially by the review booth

3rd period

Sergachev slash was Frederick

Cirelli trip was Wes

So all in all Wes called 3 penalties against the lightening and one against the leafs.... And the slash that killed your momentum? Called by Frederick...

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Lets not go that far, but that was the worst officiated playoff game I've ever seen. Basically they blew 5 of the last 6 penalty calls of the game. And the 1 that was okay was the Bunting one. They completely destroyed the game at 3-2. And yes, Refs have personal vendetta's with players and staff, but I just think Wes is an asshole rather than anything to do with David Frost.
Yet Keefe got fined for yelling at Wes this year. Personal 100%

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
In that we suepect that he is throwing games or in that in that in order to avoid any appearance of inproprietity, he should not be allowed to officiate Leaf games?

In which case, if the NHL limits involvement , they are saying you can't trust a ref to be impartial regardless of any personal feelings, yes? That's a slippery slope there. Either he's a ref or not.
I don't know man Paul Maurice has a particular ref that calls him pretty poorly every time; They caught a ref on hot mic manufacturing his calls; Alex Burrows got told by a referee "I am going to get you and make you pay for what you did"; Calgary sending the league video evidence of refs f***ing them after the wiseman debacle with Burke threatening to make a big stink about it.

Maybe the slope isn't so slippery. the leafs sucked last night but the refereeing has been an egregious problem and only getting worse; Look at the games today Nosek threw an elbow at Staals head and not even a penalty.

they're known to be very close; not commenting on the controversy but David Frost took the McCauley last name and goes by Jim McCauley now and those in the know say they are pretty much weekend beer buddies-Anyone who would hang out with scum like that is unprofessional
Do people care about their brothers-in-law?

Isn’t it 50/50 whether it’s someone you like or some clown you have to tolerate at family functions and listen to ramble on about the engine in his new Kia he’s so proud of?

This is the stupidest non-controversy I’ve ever seen posted on these boards.

Reactions: slozo

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
From a reddit thread discussing the subject making a strong case that Keefe testified to help Frost:

Also while I'd like nothing more than to blame McCauley for the bad officiating, it seems it was Frederick doing most of the damage against the Leafs according to another post in that thread:

Testifying and testifying well for someone are two different things.

Regardless of whether people are focusing on this trial, the trial may be irrelevant. Wes' sister is married to a man who has to use a new name because his life is so terrible, and it is because of a time that is closely tied to Keefe. There are a whole bunch of reasons why Wes could dislike or even like Keefe, but regardless it is probably a conflict.

I personally just think Wes is a terrible ref and he holds no bias.

And whether people want to believe me or not, apparently the players think there is a conflict and they are pretty pissed about some of the calls.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Interesting

I wonder if there is legal repercussions to allow game management calls now that single game betting is legal. Maybe now more then ever the league may have a legal obligatio to call the game according to the rule book and not feel.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Interesting

I wonder if there is legal repercussions to allow game management calls now that single game betting is legal. Maybe now more then ever the league may have a legal obligatio to call the game according to the rule book and not feel.
Good one :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Seriously, all this ref talk and Parros bias is nothing more than a trend in a league where the more refs you put on the ice, the more cameras, the more people at the end of a phone you get, the more bad calls happen...THE NHL does not care. Yes Bunting is a target, yes Carolina is a darling team, yes Perry could be called every shift for slashing. THE NHL DOES NOT CARE.
Today the only thing that matters is money and betting. Today every broadcast, every period devotes time to something that if Don Cherry had even hinted about it, he would have been walked out of the studio. If Ward Cornell even uttered the words " I betcha" the earth would stop.
The NHL does not want to get it right.

Reactions: BayStBullies

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I’m thinking from a perspective that the NFL takes on their games.

I don’t know much about football at all TBH. Do referees ignore pass interference or holds depending on the score/situation?
Some people believe they do.
With any judgement type infractions you'll always have questions when it goes against your team.

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
Shocking, exactly what the fans claimed would happen... did happen. There is no chance this league isn't corrupt. If you waste money on sport betting, avoid this sport.

It's a boys club. They're all sharing the same plan.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Conflict on Interest...hmmm, not sure. Lets err on the side of caution and not let Keefe or McCauley participate in the rest of this series, or anything else Maple Leafs related ever again.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Conflict on Interest...hmmm, not sure. Lets err on the side of caution and not let Keefe or McCauley participate in the rest of this series, or anything else Maple Leafs related ever again.

That's crazy.
Thank you.
I love it.

Dubas may not renew Holl, so Keefe has no purpose to coach anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad