Request -- OT win % when winning opening face-off

bigdaddio

Jan 22, 2019
^ that - and also, wouldn't you want a qualifier of there being no other stoppages between the opening faceoff and a goal...? Otherwise, the opening faceoff is irrelevant, no?

Yes and no. If we were to play a game where we flip a coin and I take heads you take tails. If I win the coin toss, I win 80% of the time. The other 20% of the time we flip again and the winner of that wins 80% of the remaining times and so on. Whoever wins the first coin toss has a significant advantage.

So you could just look at opening face-off no other face-offs but end result should be similar.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
^ that - and also, wouldn't you want a qualifier of there being no other stoppages between the opening faceoff and a goal...? Otherwise, the opening faceoff is irrelevant, no?

Counterpoint: if the Avalanche win the opening faceoff against the Kraken to start overtime (and a goal is not scored before the next whistle), is there an additional marginal chance that the next faceoff is in the Avalanche's offensive zone? (Which would correlate with an additional chance to win on the second faceoff?)

I'm trying to think this out as a Markov process.

(I also guess that 80% is way too high under the conditions stated in the opening post, and my best guess would be 60%).

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Yes, yes, a Markov process...of course...sorry, I have to take this call real quick *furiously googles that term*

Yeah, I had considered that too...like, what if winning that draw draws a penalty...so, now you have an attack zone draw and a man advantage. I just felt like that was such a rabbit hole given the prompt that I didn't want to distract too much from the OP's question haha

I think 80% is exorbitant too.

Someone has a bunch of good faceoff stats out there...handedness and zones and what not. But unless there's a faceoff log in there, I think you'd have to string this together from play by play data, right? The initial query is probably pretty easy, but like most things, a better answer is harder...

• Haha
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
I witnessed the following gambit by CBJ:
Start - Jenner-Laine-Werenski. Jenner wins the starting draw to Werenski and bolts off the ice, letting Voracek in. It paid off.

Once I rebuild my db with the new API, I can run the stats. I assume only the 3v3 OTs are relevant, right?

bigdaddio

Jan 22, 2019
I witnessed the following gambit by CBJ:
Start - Jenner-Laine-Werenski. Jenner wins the starting draw to Werenski and bolts off the ice, letting Voracek in. It paid off.

Once I rebuild my db with the new API, I can run the stats. I assume only the 3v3 OTs are relevant, right?

Yes.

bigdaddio

Jan 22, 2019
There have been 2218 regular season games that went to OT and beyond since the 2015/16 season.
Out of these 1458 ended in OT.
Out of these 751 (51.5%) were won by the team who won the opening faceoff as well.

HTH.
That is surprising and may kill my hypothesis, but do you have data from the last 4 years? I don't recall when the current meta took over of skating around waiting for the other team to tire out or make a bad change, but it's certainly in the last 4 years.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I was expecting this to be more or less random, but basically 50/50 on the nose...that really shows you how worthless NZ faceoffs are (I just got kicked out of the coaches' union)...

And yes, the last four or so years is when it got over-coached.

bigdaddio

Jan 22, 2019
Since 2019/20 (included) we have 1091 games, 723 of them ending in OT, and in 399 of them (55.2%) the winner of the opening faceoff won the game.
Thank you. Awesome stuff.

There is clearly a relatively large advantage to winning opening FO in OT, but not nearly as large as I expected.

LT

XXXX - XXX_ - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Why just the opening faceoff? Wouldn't overall OT faceoff % be an even better indicator for the answer you are trying to get?

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Why just the opening faceoff? Wouldn't overall OT faceoff % be an even better indicator for the answer you are trying to get?

Their premise is that teams win the opening faceoff and then play keep-a-way until they're best positioned to score.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Right. I think a better way to phrase what I'm asking is: what makes the opening OT faceoff different from any other OT faceoff?

I'm genuinely curious what percentage of overtime non-opening faceoffs occur somewhere other than one's team's offensive zone.

Reactions: LT

LT

XXXX - XXX_ - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
I'm genuinely curious what percentage of overtime non-opening faceoffs occur somewhere other than one's team's offensive zone.

In the same vein, I've wondered how much faceoff wins at the start of a PP affects the result of the PP.

Stuff I've thought about but never bothered to actually crunch the numbers for.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
I'll check later, but I'd assume offsides are the main cause.

There supposed to be an advantage of stick last in the faceoff. The home team gets that advantage in the opening faceoff of overtime. I'll need to check if there's any correlation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad