Prospect Info: Roman Kantserov 44th Overall

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Can’t wait to talk about him MAYBE coming stateside nine years from now.
Most Positive Poster

Based on interviews and the general situation in general can’t imagine any player wanting a player to stay in Russia and their inflation filled economy than pretty much anywhere else at this point

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Safe to say our scouts in Russia have improved significantly.

Kantserov and Safonov both look very very promising.
Nothing has changed in regard to scouting Russia, other than Andrei Nikolishin getting fired.

Nikolishin was there to draft Safonov, but not there to draft Kantserov.

I don't think any improvements have been made at all, other than overall scouting improvements (Kelley getting fired, Doneghey taking over), but nothing exclusive to Russia.

Reactions: ello

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Nothing has changed in regard to scouting Russia, other than Andrei Nikolishin getting fired.

Nikolishin was there to draft Safonov, but not there to draft Kantserov.

I don't think any improvements have been made at all, other than overall scouting improvements (Kelley getting fired, Doneghey taking over), but nothing exclusive to Russia.
That's already a solid improvement.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
That's already a solid improvement.
Okay but there's no tangible proof of improvement since he was fired.

If you're going to cite Safonov and Kantserov as successes, Nikolishin was involved with one of those picks so you can't have it both ways.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Okay but there's no tangible proof of improvement since he was fired.

If you're going to cite Safonov and Kantserov as successes, Nikolishin was involved with one of those picks so you can't have it both ways.
Pretty sure it was stated that Safonov was Semenov's guy, although I suspect that Nikolishin likely was involved too, still I think it is hard to find a less ethical and professional guy than him for that role, so it is an improvement in my eyes.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I think it's peculiar people want to argue with the Russian guy watching our Russian prospects about who's the better prospect.
We aren't arguing about it in this thread though I think, more like about the impact of firing Nikolishin.

However if talking about Safonov vs. Kantserov, I also don't think that anyone is arguing about that, as at this point Safonov is notably better as a player yet Kantserov might have a higher upside, so he might be better in the future.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
I think it's peculiar people want to argue with the Russian guy watching our Russian prospects about who's the better prospect.
Be honest no one is surprised it’s Musto lol.

Vlassic could become a Norris level defenseman and he would still say he’s trash while pumping up Ian Mitchell who is more likely to be working at the speedway on 183rd and Harlem than he is to become a top 4 D

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
Who cares who scouted him, all that matters is the kid has great upside and he is Blackhawks property for years to come. That is the nice luxury of having multiple second round picks

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Who cares who scouted him, all that matters is the kid has great upside and he is Blackhawks property for years to come. That is the nice luxury of having multiple second round picks
Great upside is a stretch.

The path from undersized MHLer to NHL top 6 forward is slim.

You've got like Kucherov... that's kind of it.

And Kantserov is not a Kucherov level prospect.

• Haha
Reactions: ColbyChaos

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
"Kantserov is not a Kucherov level prosoect"..WHAT?

Let me see ...Kucheriv drafted in 2nd roubd at #58...Kantersov drafted in 2nd roubdof his draft at #44...Logic dictates that Kanterov should be even higher regarded than Kurcherov was by the doubters especially since the 2023 draft was so deep and highly regarded as a special drFt..

Therefore do not make silly judgements yet...NOBODY KNOWS how things will turn out...Maybe Kantserov is capable of duplicating or exceeding what Kucherov has done...you just do not know..The drFtmaft is crapshoot ...but off the draft positions it looks like Kantserov was even higher regarded thN Kucherov was ..

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
"Kantserov is not a Kucherov level prosoect"..WHAT?

Let me see ...Kucheriv drafted in 2nd roubd at #58...Kantersov drafted in 2nd roubdof his draft at #44...Logic dictates that Kanterov should be even higher regarded than Kurcherov was by the doubters especially since the 2023 draft was so deep and highly regarded as a special drFt..

Therefore do not make silly judgements yet...NOBODY KNOWS how things will turn out...Maybe Kantserov is capable of duplicating or exceeding what Kucherov has done...you just do not know..The drFtmaft is crapshoot ...but off the draft positions it looks like Kantserov was even higher regarded thN Kucherov was ..
Fidster, using draft position as justification is silly.

Besides, it doesn't support your argument anyway. Kantserov was projected to be an early 3rd round pick. Whereas Kucherov was being eyed as a late 1st/early 2nd.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Great upside is a stretch.

The path from undersized MHLer to NHL top 6 forward is slim.

You've got like Kucherov... that's kind of it.

And Kantserov is not a Kucherov level prospect.

He's got all the attributes the team covets and wants to build around. I don't think anyone is expecting him to be Kurcherov. If he can be a middle-six guy, great. The biggest issue with Russians is getting them over here.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
He's got all the attributes the team covets and wants to build around. I don't think anyone is expecting him to be Kurcherov. If he can be a middle-six guy, great. The biggest issue with Russians is getting them over here.
I'm not worried about that.

Seems like both parties want that to happen next year.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Is he as talented as Michkov? f*** no (their numbers in the MHL are night and day) but he is a very talented young winger. And not fair to judge his projection in his draft year considering this draft is considered one of the deepest in years and he was still a 2nd round talent based off Hawks scouts and likely other team(s) too. I can see him having a Kerfoot like career. A solid playmaking middle 6 winger who can play up in the lineup.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Sorry but you cannot call Kucherov being considered as a firstrounder at his draft if 57 teams passed on him before he was picked.. That is too far off any "consensus"" he was thought of as a 1st round material...Maybe early 2nd...where Hawks could have drafted him instead of who they took.

I recall th we shoukd have targeted Kucherov as our choice with the first pick we had in round 2 of that drFt..but alas .

ANYWAY no guarantee Kantserov will be as goid as Kucherov ..but one never knows ..it also us a matter of tge suppirt cast and the opportunity(eg. Does he play o PP1)..If these 2 elements not there then no way will Kantserov be close to the poi to producer Kucherov has been..but if they are present then you never know how good he might turn out.

P.S. ...as I recall I wanted Kucheovat #36 with our first pick of round 2...Starkey took AdamClendennibg instead= but.

I still wanted Kucherob at #43.. We too BrandonSadd i stead...decent ngl wi gwr...but no Kucherov.

In Stanley's defense,we had Kane as 1RW.. so Kucherov on our teamwork have had to play 2nd fiddle RW and not be onthe Pp1..

So there is that.

We simply do not know who will be Po1 in 2 or 3 years when Kantserov maybe gets his shot on the Haws.

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Kucherov went 3 PPG at the Under-18s. It’s pretty ridiculous he went so late. Of course, that’s easy to say with complete hindsight.

Anyways, Kucherov has been a top 5 forward in the world for many years, so a standard of Kucherov or Bust for a mid-2nd round pick ridiculous… but it’s Musto we’re talking about here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad