Draft Round 6 #178 Dylan Roobroeck - Center - OHL

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Does Roobroeck go back to juniors for his 4th season or does he start in the AHL in 24-25 season?
He'll be in camp with the Rangers, then attend camp in Hartford, and they'll make an evaluation from there as to whether or not they think he needs an overage year. I seriously doubt he goes back to the OHL, though.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
He’s got a real shot at being a player.

Rempe to me is still a 13th forward until proven otherwise. Roobroeck has top 9 potential.
Well at 21, and a definite work in progress, Rempe is a 13th forward on a team as good as ours. I'd say he will be a SOLID 4th liner within a couple of years, and maybe a borderline 3rd liner in his prime.
I agree Roobroeck has more top nine potential, but I think we will know more after seeing him for a season in the AHL.

Reactions: E-Train

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Rempe is the 13th forward on this team because the coaching staff inexplicably views him that way.

He isn’t (and hasn’t been) ready to be in the NHL and with the group fully healthy right now he’s pretty clearly the 16th best forward on the current playoff roster.

Reactions: tiggles

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Rempe and Edstrom both look like contributors.

We're doing well with these guys.

I mean, the size is super obvious, but we're doing a good job identifying guys who can play at that size. It gives them a nice high floor.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Rempe and Edstrom both look like contributors.

We're doing well with these guys.

I mean, the size is super obvious, but we're doing a good job identifying guys who can play at that size. It gives them a nice high floor.

And in fairness, they just missed on Gettinger who was and is a good AHL player in general. These bigger guys, if they can be tracked and trained for specific roles, can create mis-matches on lower lines and be effective at the NHL level.

I've said this a few times, even before Rempe established himself at the NHL level a bit, but if a bigger forward can skate and is willing to go to the dirty areas, in todays NHL, he will likely find MORE room at the NHL level than lower levels. That is because there is a very high value placed on smaller puck moving d-men. And there is of course good reason for that. In saying that, a group of 6' d-men is going to have a very hard time dealing with Edstrom and Rempe over a long series if those guys can keep up.

And that's probably a bit counter to what those bigger guys face in the AHL as those bigger d-men, who perhaps don't skate as well, are capped at that level. Think of guys like Harpur and McIlrath as examples of this. Those guys patrol the front of the net as a method for survival but can't hang at the NHL level.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
There also aren't that many really tall forwards. We've seen a fair amount of tall defensemen. Some of the tall ones don't put on the bulk either. Most don't play BIG like the big defensemen do. Like Rempe does.
Tall forwards I can think of: Blake Wheeler, Adam Lowry, Kevin Hayes, Jordan Greenway, Eric Daze, Brian Boyle, Nick Bjustad, Mike Rupp.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
There also aren't that many really tall forwards. We've seen a fair amount of tall defensemen. Some of the tall ones don't put on the bulk either. Most don't play BIG like the big defensemen do. Like Rempe does.
Tall forwards I can think of: Blake Wheeler, Adam Lowry, Kevin Hayes, Jordan Greenway, Eric Daze, Brian Boyle, Nick Bjustad, Mike Rupp.
detroit tried to run a massive bottom 6 line last year. Söderblom etc. wasn't very good

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Well at 21, and a definite work in progress, Rempe is a 13th forward on a team as good as ours. I'd say he will be a SOLID 4th liner within a couple of years, and maybe a borderline 3rd liner in his prime.
I agree Roobroeck has more top nine potential, but I think we will know more after seeing him for a season in the AHL.

Well 13th at best.

We have what, 15 forwards on the roster right now? He's a clear 15th out of those guys. We have guys on the AHL roster who are much better players than him too.

The areas where he needs to improve are... really, really tough to improve as his baseline is so bad in those areas that he would have a long way to go to get to even below average in those spots.

We're likely looking at a ceiling of a player like the one whose career he just extended in NJ or a guy who shuttles back and forth between Hartford and NY when need be. I could see him being the guy who wears the C and ends up making decent money down in Hartford as a long term guy ala McIlrath in Hershey.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Well 13th at best.

We have what, 15 forwards on the roster right now? He's a clear 15th out of those guys. We have guys on the AHL roster who are much better players than him too.

The areas where he needs to improve are... really, really tough to improve as his baseline is so bad in those areas that he would have a long way to go to get to even below average in those spots.

We're likely looking at a ceiling of a player like the one whose career he just extended in NJ or a guy who shuttles back and forth between Hartford and NY when need be. I could see him being the guy who wears the C and ends up making decent money down in Hartford as a long term guy ala McIlrath in Hershey.
Rempe has tools but his turns and pivots are so unbelievably bad that it will legit cost him an NHL career if he doesn't dramatically improve on them.

I'm really hopeful for him because he'd be a tactical nuke that no other team will have in a long time but he has a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Well 13th at best.

Well we just disagree what the upside is for a 21 year old who is nowhere near done growing into his body. A guy who is 6'8" at 21 is about as close to his potential as a normal sized player is at 18 or 19. WAY more time needed to develop, though of course no guarantees. The fact that the kid REALLY seems to want to be coached and will do pretty much ANYTHING asked of him in order to improve will go a long way, IMO.
Rempe is already better than MacDermid, and is a way better/faster skater. He won't be shuttling between Hartford and NY, NYR have plans for him... AND the second he's waiver eligible he'd be claimed anyway. Regardless of how worthless you think he is. He will be an NHL regular, if not here, then somewhere else. That's my prediction. If it turns out I'm wrong you can bust my balls about it. Hahaha. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad