Rumor: Ryan Miller to TB

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Hope to hell all this talk about Miller to TBL is just that, talk.

the-sweet-pickles-bus-831405-albums-do-not-want-pic61294-do-not-want-dog.jpg

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I think a change of scenery will do a lot for Miller. He has had a lot of disagreements with the Sabres coaches and roster over the past couple of seasons, so maybe a change could bring him back to elite form. This guy is a former Vezina winner and silver-medalist (still hate that goal he gave up...), he's a top 10 in the league easily, probably top 5 when he's on his game. As long as we don't give up too much, I wouldn't mind.

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
Miller for Brett Connolly rumor seems good for us if we do it salary cap wise

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
I can think of 6,250,000 reasons why I wouldn't want him in Tampa. That cap hit next year is ridiculous.

Buffalo could retain some of it. And we have money coming off the books.

It's one year it's not a cap killing contract. There is plenty of room for it if Yzerman is smart.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
I like miller and think he would be a great asset for us, but I too am worried about the cost (more what we would have to give up than cap wise.)

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Yzerman has put his faith in and invested in Lindback. I don't think it's Yzerman's thing to acquire a goalie who he hopes to be a starter, and tells him such, and then tell him, sorry, we're going in a different direction.

Plus, Miller is a prima donna to the media, something I don't think Yzerman would like.

And he's overrated. I'm not saying he's a bad goalie, he's good. He's just criminally overrated.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
What I get from this thread is everyone is perfectly fine with craptastic goaltending for the foreseeable future.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Yzerman has put his faith in and invested in Lindback. I don't think it's Yzerman's thing to acquire a goalie who he hopes to be a starter, and tells him such, and then tell him, sorry, we're going in a different direction.

Plus, Miller is a prima donna to the media, something I don't think Yzerman would like.

And he's overrated. I'm not saying he's a bad goalie, he's good. He's just criminally overrated.

I wouldn't say that one of the best goalies over the past decade is criminally overrated. He hasn't won less than 30 games since 05-06. He's a former Vezina winner, Olympic silver medalist, and a game changer. I'd take him for the right price.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Buffalo could retain some of it. And we have money coming off the books.

It's one year it's not a cap killing contract. There is plenty of room for it if Yzerman is smart.

Garon: 1.3m
MAB: 1m
Pouliot: 1.8m
Beener: 1m
Nacho: .525m

5.625m coming off the books. Probably not keeping Nacho or MAB, but MAB is seriously feline. Keeps hanging around. Probably not gonna keep Beener either.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I'm on the fence now after reading some opinions. The coaching change will perhaps bolster our D. If it is just as bad though, Miller won't look good. SFY committed to Lindback as well. So I don't know. I'm on the fence.

Plus, Lindback showed flashes on brilliance before he went down. Can we count on that to be the norm when he returns from injury? Perhaps. Perhaps not.

All that being said, I hope we don't overpay if we are to get him.

tl;dr - SFY will do what SFY feels like. We are mere mortals.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I don't hate Miller and I think he'd be a good addition.

I don't want to pay something ridiculous for a short term stopgap, though. For once we have prospects and I don't want to raid that. Especially at the expense of guys like Palat, Killorn, Barberio. I mean, Killorn isn't untouchable - nobody is - but it'd be silly to pay a bunch for Miller without possibly picking up another defender.

CSampson

Apr 8, 2009
What I get from this thread is everyone is perfectly fine with craptastic goaltending for the foreseeable future.

Lol same here.

If ( a BIG IF) somehow this ends up coming to fruition, you ****ing better be happy we would finally have a competent, bonafide #1 goalie.

I don't think it will happen though, but **** people...come on now! Miller is a great goalie.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Would Miller be a great goalie behind our D? Who/which picks we'd have to give up would be the rub for me. The cap hit is manageable if more than what I think he's worth.

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
Would Miller be a great goalie behind our D? Who/which picks we'd have to give up would be the rub for me. The cap hit is manageable if more than what I think he's worth.

I think we could handle Connolly and a 2nd or 3rd. That's what I would give.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
So lets acquire a goalie who is playing worse than the goaltender.we.acquired to be our #1. Plus he makes 3 times more than said goalie, would cost us good.assets to acquire and will most likely walk after next year. Sounds like a really good idea.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
I think Miller's a fantastic goalie, but I question the timing of making such a deal. I know Cooper's dead set on trying to get us to the playoffs, but I really feel that it won't matter how good the goalie we get is, until we address the defence. I'd prefer to see Cooper come in first and evaluate how far this team really is from the playoffs and if he can actually make the immediate impact he's claiming he can.

I would loathe seeing us finish 10th or 11th again this year and miss out on an elite prospect in the top 3. However, I love seeing us win too so I'm torn. Hopefully Miller would be able to provide us the stability we need in net, but he hasn't made a difference in Buffalo with their defence, so I can't see him doing much better in Tampa (unless the change of scenery was all he needed).

Trading Connolly would be a huge risk since he's developing very nicely in the AHL right now and would look great in our top 6 (especially once St.Louis eventually retires). I would prefer to package two offensive prospects like Namestnikov and Kucherov, opposed to giving up a more sure thing in Connoly.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad