Salary Cap: Salary Cap - next season 2022-23

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Just a quick look on the future.

Our cap situation is gonna be just unreal.

First of all, there's no real pressure for raises at all at next off-season. Zadina and Fabbri will need new deals, but those will be moderate. They are not setting the world on fire with their current production.

I looked to evolving-hockey contract estimations, and went "Yzerman-styled", with short-term contracts.

Fabbri is ufa after next year, so I pushed his deal to 3 years, which will eat 2 UFA years.
- This was estimated to be 3.6M at 3-4 year range.
- So I took the shorter one. 3.6M for 3 years.

Zadina is RFA, and will be for another 4 years. Still, here was a possibility to take lower cap with shorter term. Zadina hasn't proved himself yet, so I go again "Yzerman-styled" a bot shorter term that many would predict. - 2 year extension only.
- This was estimated to be 2.4M for 2 years.

So that's it!

There's no other RFAs getting big raises. I would extend Mitchell Stephens, but doesn't get over 1M anyhow. He is good, still developing young depth, who doesn't really mean anything against cap.

1. Larkin 6.1M
2. Vrana 5.25M
3. Bertuzzi 4.75M
4. Fabbri 3.6M (own estimate)
5. Suter 3.25M
6. Zadina 2.4M (own estimate)
7. Erne 2.1M
8. Rasmussen 1.4M
9. Stephens 1.0M (own estimate)
10. Raymond 925k ELC
11. Berggren 925k ELC
12. Veleno 894k ELC
---------------
13. "gagner" 850k (some cheap vet)
14. Smith 750k

Vrana - Larkin - Bertuzzi
Fabbri - Suter - Raymond
Veleno - Rasmussen - Zadina
Berggren - Stephens - Erne

(Smith, "vet")

At defence I did extend Leddy, evolving hockey did show smaller salary for him than in the past, at 5M range. So 5M for 3 years would be it.

Then he should be able to fill the holes with some LhD to replace Staal and DeKeyser, but I'll leave that totally open. But other spot will be filled with Simon Edvinsson. I just espect he comes in and steal NHL spot like Seider and never looks back.

1. Leddy 5M (own estimation)
2. Hronek 4.4M
3. Edvinsson 925k ELC
4. Seider 863k ELC
5. Lindström 850k
6. XXX
---------------
7.Oesterle 1.35M

So we get:
Leddy - Seider
Edvinsson - Hronek

XXX - Lindström
Oesterle

I'll expect us carry 7D at this time.

As for Goalies, there are other options, but I did just picked easy option and extended Greiss, short term again, only 2 years for 4.5M. He could walk whatever, but think we could find carbon copy contract to be brougth in on the same slot, that doesn't change the cap numbers anyway.

1a. Greiss 4.5M
1b. Nejdelkovic 3.0M

So there is the roster, almost full completed.

This includes only 59.3M in caphits.

It still includes Richard panik dead caphit + Andelkader/Nielsen buysout = Total 4.18M of dead caphits for 2022-23. But after that season, there's only 1.055M of these left.

The total cap space:
- Salary cap 2022-23: 82.5M
- Red Wings caphits: 59.3M
--------------------------------
Total cap space: 23.1M :eek::cheers:

So the roster was for 22 players, only one LhD defenceman missing.

Should we go after some big fish? With 23.1M cap space. :D:nod:

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I mean, the attached roster is possible.

Attachments

• 990A6F7A-A58A-4250-932A-F16EB4A73FB0.png
    990A6F7A-A58A-4250-932A-F16EB4A73FB0.png
    180.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Ristolainen and Hampus Lindholm are young and best pending UFAs atm.

Some list of UFA defencemen

- RD PK Subban, 33
- RD Kris Letang, 35
- LD Mark Giordano, 38
- LD Nick Leddy, 31
- RD Rasmus Ristolainen, 27
- LD Hampus Lindholm, 28
- LD DeKeyser, 32
- RD John Klingberg, 29
- RD Josh Manson, 30
- RD Justin Schultz, 31
- LD Nikita Zadorov, 27

Lindholm could be really ideal to be the young "vet", mentoring our swedish kids at defence. And of course, being a legit Top4 guy.

There seems to be deep UFA defenceman market at next summer.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
If we can get a top C this draft, I’d sign Lindholm and start to try and compete. Imo Savoie is NHL ready next year so failing Wright that’s who I’d like

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think they’ll sign Lindholm.

This could really be it.

Hope he sees our rise on the top more probable than Ducks are gonna do. They have their swedish mafia too, with, Rakell, Lundström and Silfverberg.

But if he really likes to join the the next rising power, join Detroit with all our Raymonds, Söderbloms, Berggrens, Niederbachs, Edvinssons, Lindstörms and Johanssons.

One Hampus Lindholm can fit in too. :)

Evolving-hockey estimates him ~6M deal at 5-6 year range. 6.8M at highest for 8 years. This sounds like a bargain?

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If we can get a top C this draft, I’d sign Lindholm and start to try and compete. Imo Savoie is NHL ready next year so failing Wright that’s who I’d like

I would also give a shot for Evgeny Malkin for 1 year - big bucks. "We can fit you under the cap, with this money, no one else can."

Then this kid top C could wait a year.

Because we can handle something like this short-term, until the kids take those bigger deals.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I would also give a shot for Evgeny Malkin for 1 year - big bucks. "We can fit you under the cap, with this money, no one else can."

Then this kid top C could wait a year.

Because we can handle something like this short-term, until the kids take those bigger deals.
With the amount of cap space available, it makes sense to upgrade on all UFAs, both D and Fabbri. I think Gagner and Namestnikov lose their spots to Veleno and Berggren. Rowney could be replaced by just about anyone, including Pearson.

Upgrading Fabbri's spot with someone like Forsberg makes sense. Fabbri isn't playing well defensively this season, and I say that as a Fabbri fan.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
With the amount of cap space available, it makes sense to upgrade on all UFAs, both D and Fabbri. I think Gagner and Namestnikov lose their spots to Veleno and Berggren. Rowney could be replaced by just about anyone, including Pearson.

Upgrading Fabbri's spot with someone like Forsberg makes sense. Fabbri isn't playing well defensively this season, and I say that as a Fabbri fan.

Could think Yzerman still will want an asset of Fabbri. He could do exactly that kind of move, maybe will replace him with Filip Forsberg. But for almost sure he trades Fabbri for some other asset at the deadline and signs Forsberg at summer just for money.

Fabbri <> something
nothing <> Forsberg

Then it would be Fabbri <> something + Forsberg. Insane asset management again.

BTW I did made a thread at capfriendly Forum with all these signings + 6.8M Hampus Lindholm added.

Detroit 2022-23 20M in cap space - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Reactions: avssuc

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Malkin's an interesting thought. I'm not sure why he'd want to sign here but this is a pretty deadly team IMO:

Bertuzzi-Malkin-Raymond
Zadina-Larkin-Vrana
Erne-Veleno-Berggren
Smith-Suter-Rasmussen
Stephens

Leddy-Seider
Lindholm-Hronek
Edvinsson-Lindstrom
Oesterle

:popcorn:

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Besides the Lindholm option, which I like, I would also be a big fan of signing Klingberg and trading Hronek for forward help. Hronek is not developing like I thought he would, trading him while he still has potential is something that should seriously be considered.

Reactions: Ricelund

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Besides the Lindholm option, which I like, I would also be a big fan of signing Klingberg and trading Hronek for forward help. Hronek is not developing like I thought he would, trading him while he still has potential is something that should seriously be considered.
I think Hronek will be traded within the next year.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
I think Hronek will be traded within the next year.

I hope so, even though he just played his best game of the year against the Oilers. It seems like Hronek has plateaued, not sure how much more is left in his game.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
179gp...context. just turned 24yo. RHS-PMD, grit, mobile, PP1/2, some PK. He's still learning.

Not even @ the start of the 200-300gp & we're gonna ship him off (for parallel/lesser) value? So we can sign older & $$ + term Klingberg?

Klingberg is better now, but give Hronek til at least the end of the season or next, then reassess, unless we get overpayment.

& to a lesser degree, Fabbri. decent value now, at worst top9 when we're a contender.

Last edited:

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
179gp...context. just turned 24yo. RHS-PMD, grit, mobile, PP1/2, some PK. He's still learning.

Not even @ the start of the 200-300gp & we're gonna ship him off (for parallel/lesser) value? So we can sign older & $$ + term Klingberg?

Klingberg is better now, but give Hronek til at least the end of the season or next, then reassess, unless we get overpayment.

It is a risk, no doubt about it. One of my biggest gripes with Holland that doesn’t get talked about near as much as the free agency/contracts is his reluctance, scratch that, refusal, to trade prospects until their value had cratered. Hronek still has value, if you think he is done growing, like I do, trade him now while he still has that potential attached to him and the rest of the league isn’t clued in.

It is a risk, but with Yzermans trade record it is one I am more than comfortable with.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Malkin's an interesting thought. I'm not sure why he'd want to sign here but this is a pretty deadly team IMO:

Bertuzzi-Malkin-Raymond
Zadina-Larkin-Vrana
Erne-Veleno-Berggren
Smith-Suter-Rasmussen
Stephens

Leddy-Seider
Lindholm-Hronek
Edvinsson-Lindstrom
Oesterle

:popcorn:
Malkin's out with a knee injury, we'll see how he bounces back.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
It is a risk, no doubt about it. One of my biggest gripes with Holland that doesn’t get talked about near as much as the free agency/contracts is his reluctance, scratch that, refusal, to trade prospects until their value had cratered. Hronek still has value, if you think he is done growing, like I do, trade him now while he still has that potential attached to him and the rest of the league isn’t clued in.

It is a risk, but with Yzermans trade record it is one I am more than comfortable with.

Agreed w/logic -->My trade candidate would be Rasmussen as the "big shutdown C w/ top6 upside"

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Leddy: $6M x 5
Real solid defensemen at a level we haven't had since our top 4 SC defense days of Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, Stuart.

Zadina: $1.5M x 2
Hasn't really shown he's grown in offense, and that's what he was drafted for. $1.5M is still a raise since I doubt he hit his performance bonuses.

Nastyman: ????
Not sure yet. I'd have a hard time believing he tried to play the best he could last year. This year he is off to a fantastic start but it's a contract year so yeah.....

Gagner: Can walk
He tried to alter his play style once the realization set in he's not young anymore and his scoring touch is on the decline. Our PK is horrible and he is averaging 2:30 of PK time.

Rowney: Can walk
Dime a dozen 4th line guy who doesn't really bring anything special to the dance. Try to find a younger grinder or a heavier play style veteran.

Stephens: Can walk
Somewhat same as Rowney. He is younger but doesn't really play a grinding game, I at least haven't noticed it.

Fabbri: Can walk
He can provide offense but at the cost of poor defensive play. And his offensive output totals might drop once he plays on the 3rd line, on a SC contending team IMO.

Let's be real our bottom 6 needs a complete revamp.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Ristolainen and Hampus Lindholm are young and best pending UFAs atm.

Some list of UFA defencemen

- RD PK Subban, 33
- RD Kris Letang, 35
- LD Mark Giordano, 38
- LD Nick Leddy, 31
- RD Rasmus Ristolainen, 27
- LD Hampus Lindholm, 28
- LD DeKeyser, 32
- RD John Klingberg, 29
- RD Josh Manson, 30
- RD Justin Schultz, 31
- LD Nikita Zadorov, 27

Lindholm could be really ideal to be the young "vet", mentoring our swedish kids at defence. And of course, being a legit Top4 guy.

There seems to be deep UFA defenceman market at next summer.

Ristolainen is trash. I want nothing to do with him on this team.

I'd take Leddy back on a 4 year deal. Lindholm on a 4-6 year deal, or Zadorov on a 3-4 year deal.

Klingberg would be a solid pickup on RD and would allow us to move on from Hronek, but in 2023 there is probably a better pool of free agents.

2023 NHL Free Agents Tracker
Not many high scoring Dmen in that year but a lot of good depth guys that can fill the 4 thru 6 spots on a team, which by 2023 with Seider, Edvinsson, possibly Johansson, Hronek and whoever else that's all we need to fill.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Our entire L2 would be a L3 on a Contender.

Seider-Ray-Bert + Larkin are carrying us. Vlad chipping in.

Until a legit 2C & (2) 2W's reveal themselves, we're a 1 line team playing above our win%. Hoping Fabbri+Suter+Zadina can pull that off, still early/TBD. Veleno is the only other possibility & Berg. hasn't cracked the NHL yet.

This is why unless we get a 2nd+decent prospect for Fabbri, I'd hang onto him & sign for ~3-4max, team friendly deal. We have ZERO Top6 secondary scoring & bottom 6 depth beyond L1. Same for Zadina, give him 1yr to improve. (barring an overpayment of young top4 LD/young 2C).

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I can definitely see Yzerman trying to sign Lindholm if he hits the market. Yzerman while GM of Tampa tried to trade up in the first round to get him but couldn't. Him and Verbeek really wanted Lindholm and were disappointed when the Ducks too him.

Don't ask me how I know that it is a long story, too long to type out but trust me it's true.

Reactions: Henkka

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Ristolainen is trash. I want nothing to do with him on this team.

I'd take Leddy back on a 4 year deal. Lindholm on a 4-6 year deal, or Zadorov on a 3-4 year deal.

Klingberg would be a solid pickup on RD and would allow us to move on from Hronek, but in 2023 there is probably a better pool of free agents.

2023 NHL Free Agents Tracker
Not many high scoring Dmen in that year but a lot of good depth guys that can fill the 4 thru 6 spots on a team, which by 2023 with Seider, Edvinsson, possibly Johansson, Hronek and whoever else that's all we need to fill.
Agree with all of this, except for Zadorov. Never understood the love for Zadorov. Never scored more than 20 points in the NHL and the amount of his TOI usually comes with a greater number of penalty minutes. So you play him greater minutes at your own peril. He has no room in our top 4 D, so he becomes fairly useless as a 5/6/7 d-man.

Reactions: 14ari13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad