Player Discussion Sam Colangelo

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Guessing PV isn't 100% sold on him, offered for him to play some games down there and see where the chips fall. In exchange, I think Colangelo would sign with Anaheim if the offer comes, but PV wants an extra look and it can't hurt Colangelo to showcase himself a little bit more.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Actually, in an article (I can't find that article now), Colangelo had thoughts of going pro last year, but decided to stay an extra year in college. D Ian Moore didn't have a great season this year, but Verbeek wanted to sign him. Moore is staying, as of right now, for his senior year with Harvard.
I think Colangelo would have had a difficult time getting a pro contract from any NHL team last year and really needed to up his game. He made a potentially career saving decision to transfer to WMU and it paid off. Moore is smart to stay at Harvard next year as well for several reasons.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I see what you mean. Because he can't sign until the 15th of August with another franchise then that means the year can't be burned. This is true.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I have no idea what this means. Is there some permutation where this makes him easier or more attractive to trade him to a team that would offer an ELC?

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Maybe I just have trouble getting into the mindset of a 22 year old future pro athlete but if I was in his situation theres no way I would fly across the country to try out for a spot if I had no intention of signing. It would just be an awkward work environment otherwise.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Maybe I just have trouble getting into the mindset of a 22 year old future pro athlete but if I was in his situation theres no way I would fly across the country to try out for a spot if I had no intention of signing. It would just be an awkward work environment otherwise.
I don't know, if I was a 22-year-old hockey player whose prospects were fine, but not great, and someone said we'll fly you to San Diego to play more hockey for a couple weeks, I would do it whether I planned to sign with Anaheim or not. I suppose there's always a chance I could hurt myself, but as a 22-year-old hockey player, I can't see myself thinking that way. Mostly I'd be thinking: San Diego + hockey = win.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think Colangelo would have had a difficult time getting a pro contract from any NHL team last year and really needed to up his game. He made a potentially career saving decision to transfer to WMU and it paid off. Moore is smart to stay at Harvard next year as well for several reasons.

No other NHL club matters. What you said doesn't preclude that Verbeek, the Ducks' GM, was willing to sign Moore this year on record. Which opens the possibility of Colangelo being signed last year, but, like Moore, opted to stay another year in college.

Verbeek signed C Josh Lopina after two years in college, one year after he was drafted. None of us saw that happening.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I don't know, if I was a 22-year-old hockey player whose prospects were fine, but not great, and someone said we'll fly you to San Diego to play more hockey for a couple weeks, I would do it whether I planned to sign with Anaheim or not. I suppose there's always a chance I could hurt myself, but as a 22-year-old hockey player, I can't see myself thinking that way. Mostly I'd be thinking: San Diego + hockey = win.

Colangelo could have taken notes from Nesterenko. As you pointed out, Colangelo could get injured during that PTO and then what?

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
No other NHL club matters. What you said doesn't preclude that Verbeek, the Ducks' GM, was willing to sign Moore this year on record. Which opens the possibility of Colangelo being signed last year, but, like Moore, opted to stay another year in college.

Verbeek signed C Josh Lopina after two years in college, one year after he was drafted. None of us saw that happening.
Well let me be more specific then...I think Colangelo would have struggled to get an NHL contract from Anaheim last year. Better?

Moore is a good prospect so I'm not surprised that PV wants to sign him. But Moore will hopefully benefit by staying another year in college (and hopefully sign with the Ducks after that).

Regards Lopina, I don't think many of us cared. Still don't.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Well let me be more specific then...I think Colangelo would have struggled to get an NHL contract from Anaheim last year. Better?

Moore is a good prospect so I'm not surprised that PV wants to sign him. But Moore will hopefully benefit by staying another year in college (and hopefully sign with the Ducks after that).

Regards Lopina, I don't think many of us cared. Still don't.

You're missing the point. And no, you cannot exclude a data point b/c you don't like how it doesn't fit into what you're thinking.

• Event A: Lopina, a 4th round pick, was signed by Verbeek after his sophomore year in college.
  • Event B: Verbeek stated he wanted to sign Moore this year, his junior year, despite Moore not having a great season. It looks like Moore is returning to college next season.

Since Events A and B occurred, Verbeek probably offered a contract to Colangelo last year for Colangelo to consider going pro. Colangelo was probably in the same situation as Moore this year, bypassing a contract offer from Verbeek and going back to college because he wasn't satisfied with his junior season.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
You're missing the point. And no, you cannot exclude a data point b/c you don't like how it doesn't fit into what you're thinking.

• Event A: Lopina, a 4th round pick, was signed by Verbeek after his sophomore year in college.
  • Event B: Verbeek stated he wanted to sign Moore this year, his junior year, despite Moore not having a great season. It looks like Moore is returning to college next season.

Since Events A and B occurred, Verbeek probably offered a contract to Colangelo last year for Colangelo to consider going pro. Colangelo was probably in the same situation as Moore this year, bypassing a contract offer from Verbeek and going back to college because he wasn't satisfied with his junior season.
sure

• Haha
Reactions: MCB

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Maybe PV still has some interest in current college/future college(Frozen Four)/CHL/euro free agents and wants to keep some flexibility?

Reactions: spuddy

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I guess at least he is giving the Ducks a chance...I find it hard to believe Verbeek didn't offer him an ELC.
Hopefully he makes the most of his time with the Gulls here.
Well lets not hope he doesn't notice how dysfunctional the Gulls are and realize that the Ducks are even worse...

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Ok I've noodled this one around long enough to form an opinion. I do feel pretty confident that he'll be signing an ELC with us. If not signing with us I think he'd be on a tryout agreement anywhere else but here.

Here's the thing, I believe he's eligible to sign a two year ELC based on age. So signing this year to burn one, essentially leaves him on a one year ELC for next year. We've discussed how that can be to a player's benefit, if they make the NHL and succeed right away, they get into bigger money a year earlier.

In Colangelo's case, perhaps him and his agent realistically felt that he'll likely spend the better part of next year in the AHL, in which case there isn't much benefit to advancing his RFA clock. Or both sides agreed to a short trial to evaluate his game at the AHL level, before making that call.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Ok I've noodled this one around long enough to form an opinion. I do feel pretty confident that he'll be signing an ELC with us. If not signing with us I think he'd be on a tryout agreement anywhere else but here.

Here's the thing, I believe he's eligible to sign a two year ELC based on age. So signing this year to burn one, essentially leaves him on a one year ELC for next year. We've discussed how that can be to a player's benefit, if they make the NHL and succeed right away, they get into bigger money a year earlier.

In Colangelo's case, perhaps him and his agent realistically felt that he'll likely spend the better part of next year in the AHL, in which case there isn't much benefit to advancing his RFA clock. Or both sides agreed to a short trial to evaluate his game at the AHL level, before making that call.

I was thinking it had to be something like this. It doesnt really make sense, but there are a bunch of different reasons as to why. RFA status, money, contract years, protections, etc, etc. We just have to see how it hashes out, but odd none the less.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

He can't sign any contract (PTO, ATO, ELC) with any team other then the Ducks until August 15th.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
With our org, I hope he doesn't get ECL before his ELC :sarcasm:

PS
His top pinned post on Insta is still him in a Ducks hat after being drafted, expressing his joy to join the org

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
He can't sign any contract (PTO, ATO, ELC) with any team other then the Ducks until August 15th.

All that noodling and that didn't occur to me.

But my point still stands in a way, I don't think we would have him join SD if it looked like he was about to test the open market. Would rather give that development time to one of our "own" prospects. I have confidence there's some sort of agreement in place, beyond the tryout.

Reactions: Static and Boo Boo

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013

But my point still stands in a way, I don't think we would have him join SD if it looked like he was about to test the open market. Would rather give that development time to one of our "own" prospects. I have confidence there's some sort of agreement in place, beyond the tryout.
The fact that he wasn’t traded like thrun was is enough to make me reasonably confident in signing him

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012

Exactly. Unless he was just totally unwanted around the league, which I don't think is the case, he doesn't stand to gain anything by playing a few weeks for the Gulls. It's not like he needs to showcase himself. beyond what he's already done in college. And if he had already decided to go the free agent route, there would be no reason for him to continue to play just a few more games for an organization he isn't committed to.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
He took a dump his second year, decided to leave his school (and his family, according to HD) behind, to take a chance and hope he could salvage something for an NHL future. You could squint one way and see that as a confident kid betting on himself, or you could squint another way and see it as a desperate kid taking any chance to keep his dream alive. Only one of those Colangelos is really a risk to walk away and accept the uncertainty of free agency, a new team where he has no relationship with the scouts and management, having to find his place amongst other established prospects, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad