Sarnia Sting 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019

Screenshot_20240513-001618.png
Let me know if I forgot someone, but here's how I'd say the Sting depth chart looks before the import draft. (Ignore what side they are didn't really care what there exact wing/side they play)

Crazy thing is if the lineup shook out like this (first 4 lines, 3 pairs, 2G) the teams average age would be 17.90 (would change as guys probably turn 18/19 by season start) but that would've been the youngest team in the league this past season.

So while I anticipate us being better it's still gonna be an incredibly young team. In saying that I really look forward to seeing them, especially if they get a real dynamic F with the 6th pick in the import draft.

Like we keep saying the D battle at camp will be a crazy one. Should drive guys in the summer as those final couple spots will be a dog fight to get. Up front there will be a big battle too & some of the returning guys better come in ready to go or they could lose their spot.

Goalie will be a big thing to watch come camp too. Can 1 guy seperate from the rest & show he's a starter. I've said it 100x but I won't be surprised if they add one (import or trade).

Excited to see this group when late August finally arrives. A lot of youth, but a lot of exciting young guys with talent on F & D.

Last edited:

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
There will be off season trades plus new guys come in at camp.
Missing a tough forward atleast 1 if London didnt show everyone anything toughness is needed. We are too soft of a team.
Need at 20 year old D as well, Vet with grit that can steady this D Core.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
I wouldnt be surprised if guys that were there last year won't crack this years team Sarnia Legionnaires will be really good from what I see. they will get some pretty good players
Does it sound like any of the 2024 draft picks will be playing with the Legionnaires?

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
"Work is moving along at Progressive Auto Sales Arena, as we install new NHL approved rink boards and glass for Rink 1 and complete rubber floor replacement throughout the lower level.

It’s not all we’re doing to revitalize the arena, with $1.8 million allocated for the facility in 2024 funding elevator upgrades, refrigeration plant re-design, and exterior improvements; including railing replacement at all gates, and concrete repairs at all entrances."

Wow more serious money going into the arena. Fricken love to see it! NHL boards & glass will be nice as will the floor. Entrance gates getting work is nice to see too.

Man have they ever sunken some money into this team the last decade since the owner change. Nice to see the city chipping in now too.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
"Work is moving along at Progressive Auto Sales Arena, as we install new NHL approved rink boards and glass for Rink 1 and complete rubber floor replacement throughout the lower level.

It’s not all we’re doing to revitalize the arena, with $1.8 million allocated for the facility in 2024 funding elevator upgrades, refrigeration plant re-design, and exterior improvements; including railing replacement at all gates, and concrete repairs at all entrances."

Wow more serious money going into the arena. Fricken love to see it! NHL boards & glass will be nice as will the floor. Entrance gates getting work is nice to see too.

Man have they ever sunken some money into this team the last decade since the owner change. Nice to see the city chipping in now too.
Great to see, I also heard they were making a new tunnel out to the ice that would be closer to their new dressing room not sure if that’s still a go. Something they need to do is get rid of those ugly ass maroon seats and put nhl quality black ones in.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Great to see, I also heard they were making a new tunnel out to the ice that would be closer to their new dressing room not sure if that’s still a go. Something they need to do is get rid of those ugly ass maroon seats and put nhl quality black ones in.
Definitely need new seats. But I'll take one step at a time haha.

Reactions: robp1219

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
man... Saginaw has the be the worst Memorial Cup hosts ever.... many empty seats when Saginaw are playing ... just a brutal arena/atmosphere.... Sarnia could do much better imo.... That being said Saginaw may be the 2nd best team in the tourney.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
man... Saginaw has the be the worst Memorial Cup hosts ever.... many empty seats when Saginaw are playing ... just a brutal arena/atmosphere.... Sarnia could do much better imo.... That being said Saginaw may be the 2nd best team in the tourney.
Yah maybe it's how Tsn has the audio set up, but the atmosphere has sounded terrible. If it's as bad as it sounds on TV then yikes. Have said it before but if SAG can host it I can't see why we can't if ownership is willing to spend the money. Especially with all the work they've put into the arena.

And yah I'm pretty surprised how bad drummondville looks. Really slow team. Lack legitimately dangerous Fs. Moose Jaw we'll see tn vs LDN, but vs SAG they looked slow too.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Yah maybe it's how Tsn has the audio set up, but the atmosphere has sounded terrible. If it's as bad as it sounds on TV then yikes. Have said it before but if SAG can host it I can't see why we can't if ownership is willing to spend the money. Especially with all the work they've put into the arena.

And yah I'm pretty surprised how bad drummondville looks. Really slow team. Lack legitimately dangerous Fs. Moose Jaw we'll see tn vs LDN, but vs SAG they looked slow too.
im watching the pre game and like even the carpets on the ice are Mickey Mouse. TSN production seems cheap too ... I dunno ... just not a fan and I said earlier Sarnia could do so much better. lol ok ill stop complaining... MJ LDN should be good.

Reactions: Jason M

Jason M

Nov 13, 2019
im watching the pre game and like even the carpets on the ice are Mickey Mouse. TSN production seems cheap too ... I dunno ... just not a fan and I said earlier Sarnia could do so much better. lol ok ill stop complaining... MJ LDN should be good.
I'm also watching and the Dow looks like it's about half empty. Can't help but think if we hosted a mem cup the arena would be full every game. Just my opinion.

Reactions: davewheeler

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
You do tend to see empty seats when the home team isn't playing. I did think we'd see more LDN fans there. Not to far a drive. But week night I suppose. In prior years the cost of tickets for this tournament was also outrageous.

Sarnia's a good spot with being at the border & being so close for so many teams too. Kitchener is heavily rumored to be bidding for the next one & there's no way we'd win that one haha. Way bigger arena. Solid spot. Franchise way more well known. That's if we have any interest in it anyways. I remember reading Regina lost so much money hosting there's. U gotta be very comfortable lol.

Tsn is doing an okay job but it certainly could be a lot better. I don't find that the hockey has been all that great either frankly. Looks like SAG & LDN are quite a bit better than MJ & DRU.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Sorry boys, not enough hotels in town to host something like that. Lots of quality stuff going on here outside of the game broadcast. You ought to come to a game & have a look

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Sorry boys, not enough hotels in town to host something like that. Lots of quality stuff going on here outside of the game broadcast. You ought to come to a game & have a look
Yah I've heard the other stuff outside the games are really well done at mem cups. Might try & go to the semi final or final if it works out. Tho I imagine getting a ticket rn (especially with it looking like a potential SAG LDN rematch) might be hard.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Thought of that first part too. They have been adding quite a few down by the bridge. But don't they gotta be relatively close to the arena to host?

As cool as it would be Sarnia would probably pull off something no other host has done before & not in a good way. Like get shutout in all 3 games lmao.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Wednesday game will be huge. Winner goes straight to finals. Loser plays Friday, and anything can happen. Only about a dozen tickets left in the rink + standing room.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Wednesday game will be huge. Winner goes straight to finals. Loser plays Friday, and anything can happen. Only about a dozen tickets left in the rink + standing room.
The OHL teams certainly appear to be the best 2 teams there. The game should be really good. Saginaw gonna have to hold their emotions in check vs the team that eliminated them.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
ur not wrong... you'd like to see them occupied tho. rows and rows open in the memorial cup isn't a good look especially when the home team is playing.
A lot of people coming from out of town bought the full week package. Some people skipped so games. I know a few people that are knights fans that did that. Went to see Moose Jaw and London lastnight, mostly full but it was a fun game. Moose Jaw has a ridiculous amount of fans there.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Thought of that first part too. They have been adding quite a few down by the bridge. But don't they gotta be relatively close to the arena to host?

As cool as it would be Sarnia would probably pull off something no other host has done before & not in a good way. Like get shutout in all 3 games lmao.
No I stayed roughly 8 minute drive from the rink lastnight, they had a shuttle going to hotels from the rinks strictly for the tournament, our hotel was packed with different CHL jerseys mostly Moose Jaw. Lots of cool stuff set up outside the rink. That sarnia could easily set up aswell. Saginaw is roughly the same size arena as sarnia but set up differently and I’d say the seats were 80% full. But it was definitely sold out, just people who had a week pass skipping a game or two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad