Prospect Info: Senators Rookie Camp / Prospect Challenge gets underway this week

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Ostapchuk seems too slow to me, lacks a 2nd gear.
I watched him up close in the 2nd game against the Pens and he's definitely not slow. He's not a burner like Formenton is/was but he has decent speed for a big man. He just needs to play with good players. He didn't have much help in that game. I think he'll eventually make the show as a 3rd line workhorse or even a 2nd line scoring power forward. He just needs some skill around him.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
From Scott Wheeler, on tournament standouts:

Greig only played in the first of the Senators’three games of the tournament, but he was enough of a standout that I still wanted to include him here.

He was excellent centring (which is noteworthy, considering he played mostly on the wing at the pro level last year) the team’s top line with Roby Jarventie and Tarun Fizer (who, to my eye, had the best showing in the event for an unsigned and undrafted player). Greig scored twice, helped set up another (which he didn’t get credit for on the scoresheet), got hit hard and bounced back up, delivered a huge open ice hit of his own, and was just generally around it. The Senators, who had the most invitees among the six teams in the tournament, looked like a different team when he wasn’t out there, both in the game he played and in their tough losses to the Penguins and Habs without him. He looked like a player who was ready to compete for NHL minutes.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
You're right regarding the rest they are not at least at this time top 6 forwards or top 4 D but a number of them will be NHL players. It's doubtful, unless through trade, that anyone else in the org suddenly becomes a top player however, given our team is so young over the next few yrs there will be several drafts where they could get lucky & add a player who becomes elite, it's not out of the question, but they would need some draft luck. For example, I would love for them to find another Batherson, or Norris, or Tkachuk in the draft, how much would that help this team? Guys who can elevate the 3rd line to challenge the 2nd line, anything is possible.
I think people are far too caught up in top 6 and top 4.

We've got Chabot, Chychrun, Sanderson and Zub signed for 2 years minimum and Chychrun looking like he's interested in re-signing. I suspect one of those guys gets moved along the way. But do we need a homegrown top 4 any time soon? No.

We've got Stuetzle, Norris and Pinto. We don't need a homegrown top 2 C for half a decade

We've got Tkachuk and Batherson signed with term. TaraSENko for one year and Giroux maybe aging out. Luckily for us, the easy thing to acquire in hockey is top 6 wingers. Not elite ones obviously, but the 60-80 point variety are always available as UFAs or via trades.

Reactions: bert and aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Best player in this tournament for the Sens was Merilainen, who played two really good games & kept Ottawa in it especially against Montreal. A very close second, was Greig who only played one game but is clearly knocking on the NHL door with the Sens as is Kleven who IMO could step in as a 3rd pairing defenceman today. Ostapchuk is a guy who will need a yr in Belleville to fill out his all around game, he will make his money making big hits, protecting teammates & scoring right in front of the net in the NHL. He is going to be a very good 200' player, good defensively & on the PK. He could end up replacing Formenton on the 3rd line as a good young defensive depth player who can add a little offence. I also liked Donovan who has the size, skating & skillset to make it to the NHL someday, although I'm not sure it will be Ottawa given their depth at LD.

A couple of guys who I expected would be disappointing is Jarventie & Hamara given what I had seen from them at development camps. They both don't like the rough style & are easily pushed around by lesser players who get in their face. Jarventie has the skating, size & skillset package that you want, but I'm not sure he has the drive or determination & at times plays scared. If he showed more drive he could be an excellent top six player but just seems too lackluster. Both could end up being trade fodder for the GM. We'll see how Fizer & Turne do at main camp & whether they can get an invite to Belleville or not, I don't see either as NHL players.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
If you want a laugh, you can listen to Scott Wheeler's assessment of Tyler Boucher's performance at the rookie tournament. Apparently he keyed in on his footwork during the games and it still looks below average. Starts around 42:30 in that link.

Can you believe this f***ing guy gets paid to watch and write about hockey?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If you want a laugh, you can listen to Scott Wheeler's assessment of Tyler Boucher's performance at the rookie tournament. Apparently he keyed in on his footwork during the games and it still looks below average. Starts around 42:30 in that link.

This is unbelievable.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

He’s talking about a game he didn’t play in? Saying he watched him?

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Scott Wheeler is such a nerd. Biggest tool around. Garbage writer. Garbage takes.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Lmao you have to be kidding me

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

Yikes.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
How do you say goodbye to something that was never really there...
Somebody must have wrote a love song about the girl that never really loved him.

Wait now, that kinda sounds like half the country songs I've heard. If you can work your dog dying into it, it probably hits #1 on the charts.

Reactions: Nova Stutzlia

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Somebody must have wrote a love song about the girl that never really loved him.

Wait now, that kinda sounds like half the country songs I've heard. If you can work your dog dying into it, it probably hits #1 on the charts.
Bit off topic, but made me think of this...

Reactions: Dan Patrick

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Toure, Fizer, Clattenburg and Jackson Stewart only rookie camp guys to receive main camp invites. Sokolov attending even though he isn't signed, Pinto not.

Boucher and Ostapchuk injured.

Didn't they say before the rookie tourney that Boucher was just a lil tweak and he'd be there for main camp?

Or is listing him injured right now just a technicality (needing to pass a physical or something)?

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

Holy shit! lmfao
That’s muy no bueno

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

It's hilarious he gets paid to write about hockey

Not even write about hockey, that would be perfectly fine.

He gets paid to make evaluations of players, with no working knowledge himself

The fact he churns out Draft Rankings is absolutely hilarious, wouldn't trust him to evaluate a Jr. C blue and white game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Icelevel

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
In defense of Wheeler... he never said in that clip that he watched him. He was asked about Boucher and went right into an assessment of his game which I thought was pretty spot on.

Reactions: StoicSensFan

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Pretty
In defense of Wheeler... he never said in that clip that he watched him. He was asked about Boucher and went right into an assessment of his game which I thought was pretty spot on.
Sure he said "skating still looks below average" with the implication being he'd seen him

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I think people are far too caught up in top 6 and top 4.
I think the idea as it applies to a prospect is that it's some means to identify, or attempt to identify the ceiling of the prospect. Its not a precise science and where a player ultimately slots (which line or pair) also depends on team, how deep it is, the existing players, etc.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think the idea as it applies to a prospect is that it's some means to identify, or attempt to identify the ceiling of the prospect. Its not a precise science and where a player ultimately slots (which line or pair) also depends on team, how deep it is, the existing players, etc.
I posted the other day, we've got a core of 7 or 8 guys and they pretty much fill those top 6 and top 4 spots. I think everyone else is just an interchangeable part. When you look at the rosters of teams that have won multiple cups over short time frames, you see cores that win and significant turnover everywhere else in the roster.

Our core is pretty Locked in. It's either good enough or not. We'll see how it plays out.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hilarious. A rant, but funny and with elements of truth embedded.
His channel as a whole is well worth a look, not so much the podcast stuff where he brings on a guest and chats, but the in depth song breakdowns. The long format ones are the best imo, and if you're like me, you'll love the August is Falling series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad