News Article: Sens announce changes in Hockey Ops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
A certain local podcaster has just said Peter Chiarelli is about to be hired as POHO.
1695081327351.gif

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
A certain local podcaster has just said Peter Chiarelli is about to be hired as POHO.
I'm not too worried. Dorion held Melnyk at bay and was able to do a good job. I'd be more worried if we also brought in an inexperienced GM like Staios.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
I'm not too worried. Dorion held Melnyk at bay and was able to do a good job. I'd be more worried if we also brought in an inexperienced GM like Staios.

New owner seems to be bringing people he has ties to. I think it’s unlikely they keep Dorion around. I bet Chiarelli will to want a younger GM under him that he can “mold”, like the Rutherford/Alvin or Gorton/Hughes relationships.

That’ll probably be Staios.

These guys have egos. Anyone coming in as POHO will want their “guy” in place.

Keeping the guy who used to make all the decisions and telling him he can no longer make the final decisions is probably untenable. Basically a demotion that could cause a lot of tension. You’ll end up with a split front office. Dorion loyalists and Chiarelli guys. But Chiarelli would be in charge.

It’s one thing to keep an owner who has other businesses and is hardly around “at bay”. It’d be another thing having a boss who’s next to you every day, has been a GM himself, and who’s only focus is on the hockey team.

Honestly I don’t think Dorion will care to stick around if someone is hired above him, and that seems likely.

The rest of the league doesn’t follow the minutiae of the Sens and doesn’t remember the 2018 season PR fiasco. They see Dorion more as the guy who drafted and signed very good young players. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a “mutual” parting so he can go get a job somewhere else when the new regime is brought in.

And there may be an opening in Columbus soon…

Last edited:
Reactions: gab6511 and DrEasy

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I think Staios will probably end up as some sort of advisor or something like that in the short term. Next spring Dorion is canned - that seems inevitable - and Mathieu Darche becomes GM. Not sure if the new regime will keep Bowness around.

Not thrilled about it, but I think Andlauer's management team ends up looking something like this...

POHO/President - Peter Chiarelli
GM - Mathieu Darche
AGM - Steve Staios
AGM - Ryan Bowness?

Reactions: BondraTime

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Graeme Nichols said he heard the same thing of Simmer. Steve poho at the start and Darche Gm eventually

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Oops I was thinking Leeder…. Why would we bring Chiarelli in?

I really hope this stuff doesn’t screw with team mojo.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
Oops I was thinking Leeder…. Why would we bring Chiarelli in?

I really hope this stuff doesn’t screw with team mojo.

I mean if we’re bringing in Chiarelli it’s probably because Andlauer doesn’t want Dorion making the final decisions on this team moving forward.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If Darche is in the mix to be our next GM it’s likely to happen soon. I can’t see Darche still being available in the spring.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
^
held Melnyk at bay? Melnyk is the only reason Dorion ever got a GM job.
^
^
I'm not sure how to take some of these comments, and if they are really serious. I do think some people like to stir the pot.

On a different subject, I'm hoping that the Chiarelli thing is just a rumour.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Chirelli coming back to Ottawa would only be in a POHO role, which would "make sense" for the Sens.

They are still incredibly, embarrassingly barebones. GM and AGM, that's it. That won't be the case this season, Andlauer will be putting someone of his choosing in charge asap, even without making any subtractions immediately.

A guy that's been around the block in Chirelli, whether I agree with it or not, makes sense in a POHO role, especially if they plan (which they very, very likely do), on going with a green management group with a combo of Staios and Darche.

I'm very disappointed with the pro scouting reshuffling though, that was a huge aspect that needed to be completely overhauled

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Chirelli coming back to Ottawa would only be in a POHO role, which would "make sense" for the Sens.

They are still incredibly, embarrassingly barebones. GM and AGM, that's it. That won't be the case this season, Andlauer will be putting someone of his choosing in charge asap, even without making any subtractions immediately.

A guy that's been around the block in Chirelli, whether I agree with it or not, makes sense in a POHO role, especially if they plan (which they very, very likely do), on going with a green management group with a combo of Staios and Darche.

I'm very disappointed with the pro scouting reshuffling though, that was a huge aspect that needed to be completely overhauled
They haven’t really changed the pro scouting. My understanding is Clarke asked to be relieved of his role.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
That's what I mean, they are just reshuffling the deck, it needs a complete overhaul
I’d expect that comes with the new regime. I’m on board with Darche as GM and having him poach some of the Tampa scouts. Darche runs the cap in Tampa.

Reactions: DJB

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Why do you expect that changes to those positions would happen now and not before the new ownership takes charge?
I would expect no changes or promotions, that's what I'm saying.

I wouldn't expect a guy to be promoted to Head Pro Scout a week prior to an ownership change, that makes zero sense unless it's gone through ownership

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I would be shocked, if heads began to roll, between the (rumoured) announcement today, or tomorrow , of the ownership change…and the beginning of the season.

1695130313694.gif
1695130343327.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad