Confirmed with Link: Sens re-sign Jacob Bernard-Docker (2 years, $805,000 AAV)

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
You think he wasnt a stud for years? You prove the point our fanbase and team has the memory and foresight of a fish

crapping on your own fanbase to defend the honour of Mike Hoffman is why the internet was invented because no one would be listening to you otherwise

Sensatauro

Dec 30, 2012
crapping on your own fanbase to defend the honour of Mike Hoffman is why the internet was invented because no one would be listening to you otherwise

Oh look, captain gaslight is speaking. Bruh, you keep proving my point. I'm sorry your life is miserable and you need to feed negativity and shit over our players.

JBD is our player and he's developing nicely. That's great, yet on this board our team shits all over him. But yeah, keep on keeping on the negative Nancy train.

I mean this thread was bumped needlessly to Dump on the guy that's improving every game. It's ridiculous

Reactions: Mars

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
It be such a classic Sens move to give up on JBD. Our team is one of the most short sighted visions in league.

. The amount of players we've given up on that turned to be players, as one mentioned, Englund. Remember how he sucked and would never play an NHL game. Turns out he's a pretty good 6/7 d-man. Who knew?! Stefan Noesen, remember that bum and bust of a pick? Boucher is our modern version of Noesen btw. You all throw him under the bus, but he will be a player in this league.
Because waiting for a player to turn 28 to turn into a marginal NHL D men, carrying through all though years and not exposing them to waivers just is not good asset management. nor waiting, investing in a guy until he is 30 to finally produce is not great management. Noesen is on his 6th team for a erason.

For every player like that I can give you 20 players we had that did not pan out. Even if you knew which of the 20 off the start, are you prepared to hold that spot for 10 years? Its the nature of the game.

Each team is allowed 50 contract spots only. Each team can carry max 23 players on the roster. There comes a point with every team that they have a number of players not progressing some have to go.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Oh look, captain gaslight is speaking. Bruh, you keep proving my point. I'm sorry your life is miserable and you need to feed negativity and shit over our players.

JBD is our player and he's developing nicely. That's great, yet on this board our team shits all over him. But yeah, keep on keeping on the negative Nancy train.

I mean this thread was bumped needlessly to Dump on the guy that's improving every game. It's ridiculous

You made up an imaginary scenario where the Sens trade JBD and he becomes the next Anton Volchenkov to get yourself and mad at the fanbase for a move that never existed, and you did this to defend Hoffman and JBD.

go buy yourself a IBD jersey and you can tell this story for the rest of your life to anyone who cares to listen being berated by you for being a fan

• Haha
Reactions: Sensatauro

Sensatauro

Dec 30, 2012
You made up an imaginary scenario where the Sens trade JBD and he becomes the next Anton Volchenkov to get yourself and mad at the fanbase for a move that never existed, and you did this to defend Hoffman and JBD.

go buy yourself a IBD jersey and you can tell this story for the rest of your life to anyone who cares to listen being berated by you for being a fan
The only one making anything up here is you. You keep proving my point. I never made a trade claim. I didn't defend Hoffman. I used him as an example of a player every team passed on in 2013 before going on to score 20-36 for the next 6 seasons. Which you replied to me saying I was an idiot thinking he was ever a stud. 6 straight years of over 20 goals is a stud of a player in the league.

Look how mad you are, because you know you're an angry bird and want to deflect. You keep digging though mate. You're a true happy fella. Sorry you work jobs you don't like and stuck in misery. You too can choose happiness. But by your lack of reading comprehension I'm gonna guess that you won't. It's too bad. We got some great times ahead.

Sensatauro

Dec 30, 2012
Because waiting for a player to turn 28 to turn into a marginal NHL D men, carrying through all though years and not exposing them to waivers just is not good asset management. nor waiting, investing in a guy until he is 30 to finally produce is not great management. Noesen is on his 6th team for a erason.

For every player like that I can give you 20 players we had that did not pan out. Even if you knew which of the 20 off the start, are you prepared to hold that spot for 10 years? Its the nature of the game.

Each team is allowed 50 contract spots only. Each team can carry max 23 players on the roster. There comes a point with every team that they have a number of players not progressing some have to go.
Very true, and great points. The sens though have a much higher percentage of giving up on players then most. We traded zibby for Brassard ffs. Our list of guys we quit on is long. Bad management was a big reason. Fortunately we've got some solid leadership being created and better times are coming.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Very true, and great points. The sens though have a much higher percentage of giving up on players then most. We traded zibby for Brassard ffs. Our list of guys we quit on is long. Bad management was a big reason.
There can be reasons. Zibby was not given up on, he was a solid 50 point player, but the team wanted to make the next step up. The following season Ottawa did get to within 1 goal of the Stanley Cup finals, to me thats a hockey trade.

Overall though I believe because Ottawa has largely been a non contender for 15 years now they have stockpiled younger players with better than average draft picks and not been trading them away for a shot at the cup (with an obvious few exceptions), there are simply more examples. Look at Vegas, they have traded the majority of the first round picks, Suzuki, Glass, Brannstrom, Krebs and Dean. They did not give up on those players, they just built to win a cup. And realistically other than Suzuki they obviously traded high on those players. If they hung onto them, they would not be near as a good a team and likely would be losing some to waivers or contract situations.

Also there is the familiarity aspect. Every teams fan probably think they are the worst at this because they do not know other teams fringe prospects that may have made it 6 years down the road.

Reactions: Sensatauro

Sensatauro

Dec 30, 2012
There can be reasons. Zibby was not given up on, he was a solid 50 point player, but the team wanted to make the next step up. The following season Ottawa did get to within 1 goal of the Stanley Cup finals, to me thats a hockey trade.

Overall though I believe because Ottawa has largely been a non contender for 15 years now they have stockpiled younger players with better than average draft picks and not been trading them away for a shot at the cup (with an obvious few exceptions), there are simply more examples. Look at Vegas, they have traded the majority of the first round picks, Suzuki, Glass, Brannstrom, Krebs and Dean. They did not give up on those players, they just built to win a cup. And realistically other than Suzuki they obviously traded high on those players. If they hung onto them, they would not be near as a good a team and likely would be losing some to waivers or contract situations.

Also there is the familiarity aspect. Every teams fan probably think they are the worst at this because they do not know other teams fringe prospects that may have made it 6 years down the road.
I definitely disagree on Zib. As the team was not happy with him behind the scenes. I can't go into details here, as it be against the TOS, but lets just say management had some ego issues and I'll leave it at that.

Trading picks isn't the same as giving up on prospects. Vegas didn't give up on Stone, Ottawa gave up on Stone and sold low again because our management was less then stellar.

That said, of course as you get closer to being top tier you move quality prospects for some immediate help. That's the game. Look at who Vegas has dumped vs who they received. Night and day.

Vegas was ruthless and you need that to a degree. But the list of young guys we've given up vs the league is disproportionate. I fully expect that changing as we move forward as many issues that lead to so many terrible decisions is gone.

Part of this boards toxicity is also because our management has been shit. It bleeds out. That said, outside the leafs, our fanbase on these boards is considered the worst and that's because we're insanely negative on this board. Of course there are still some great posters here, just the percentage of good, positive fans, vs the negative nancies is very tilted.

This bump is just one example. In what world did the poster who bumped this need to do this? Literally none, but got to find away to channel that negativity in life somehow. Got to keep slinging that mud though. It's shameful.

JBD is going to be a very good bottom six D who will be able to fill in top 4 in a pinch as he grows. Nothing in his game shows he is plateauing, yet here we are on the board slamming him like he's terrible and a finished product. It's beyond lame.

I'll call it out, and happily take the backlash from the folks who are triggered because they know they're guilty.

Great chat. Have a great day

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
There's a difference between guys like Englund and Noeson, and JBD.

Englund and Noesen were not ready to contribute at the NHL level, so they bounced around. JBD is currently a 6/7 Dman at the NHL level. He's nothing special right now, but at 805k, you don't get anything special, you hope for replacement level or slightly better.

With JBD, we'll likely continue to develop him until someone in the system surpasses him, or we sign someone, and he gets pushed down the depth chart below that 8th D spot.

He'll be 24 next season, the same age as DeMelo was when SJ opted not to extend him his qualifying offer and anybody could have signed him. I don't think he's going to turn into as good of a player as DeMelo has, but there's nothing odd about how he's developed so far,

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
At the midpoint of the season I remember posting that I was disappointed that JBD just didn’t seem to have what it takes to be NHL player. Decision-making was too slow, too many pucks up the boards to an opponent waiting, etc.

I thought the last 25% of the season (or so) he was finally putting it together and looked like a serviceable bottom pair RHD, even if he found himself up the lineup at times due to injury. Probably a combination of the game slowing down for a bit and the Martin effect with better support in the forwards giving him outlet options more often than not. But he also looked more calm and composed with the puck and even showed some elusiveness at times, which wasn’t something I noticed before.

Gives me hope he will continue to progress to the level of a good third line D on a good team, so I’m not sure I would toss him yet (not that you suggested this). There are other areas that desperately need to be addressed, JBD will not cost extra $$.

I remember thinking at midpoint, we should probably waive him and try Lassi Thomson for a stretch just so we could say we have both 1st round picks a chance.

Now he's not at all what we needed haha but it couldn't have hurt.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I remember thinking at midpoint, we should probably waive him and try Lassi Thomson for a stretch just so we could say we have both 1st round picks a chance.

Idk why we'd want to try Thomson at this point, he isn't even living up to what he's supposed to be in Belleville, how we would ever justify giving him a chance at this point while waiving the guy who's just plain been better is beyond me... Guénette, sure, maybe even Mantipalo, but guys need to earn their chances, and Lassi really hasn't done that imo.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Zibanejad was better than brassard in the playoffs. Post obsolete?
And just because you want to move a player doesn’t mean you throw him away for peanuts.
Zibanejad AND a 2nd for a soon to be washed up brassard.
Don’t make me post their points since the trade.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Zibanejad was better than brassard in the playoffs. Post obsolete?
And just because you want to move a player doesn’t mean you throw him away for peanuts.
Zibanejad AND a 2nd for a soon to be washed up brassard.
Don’t make me post their points since the trade.
The whole point of the post was pointing out why we did not trade Zib because we thought he'd never be an NHL player. He already was a very effective NHL player, our number 1 center. That is entirely different than letting Noesen and Englund go.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
There's a difference between guys like Englund and Noeson, and JBD.

Englund and Noesen were not ready to contribute at the NHL level, so they bounced around. JBD is currently a 6/7 Dman at the NHL level. He's nothing special right now, but at 805k, you don't get anything special, you hope for replacement level or slightly better.

With JBD, we'll likely continue to develop him until someone in the system surpasses him, or we sign someone, and he gets pushed down the depth chart below that 8th D spot.

He'll be 24 next season, the same age as DeMelo was when SJ opted not to extend him his qualifying offer and anybody could have signed him. I don't think he's going to turn into as good of a player as DeMelo has, but there's nothing odd about how he's developed so far,
JBD is fine as a 6th or 7th Dman with what he is paid. But they need to find a solid RHD above him in order for JBD not to have to play in key minutes. Basically don't ask him to be 2nd pair shutdown guy when he's not capable to do so.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
JBD is fine as a 6th or 7th Dman with what he is paid. But they need to find a solid RHD above him in order for JBD not to have to play in key minutes. Basically don't ask him to be 2nd pair shutdown guy when he's not capable to do so.
I mean, ya, pretty much everyone agrees our top priority is a RHD to play in the top 4. It's that our upgrading our goaltending, which is admittedly much more difficult to do

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I mean, ya, pretty much everyone agrees our top priority is a RHD to play in the top 4. It's that our upgrading our goaltending, which is admittedly much more difficult to do
If the Sens could get a capable RHD and quality goaltender combined with a proven coach I say they could be better than the Bruins.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
JBD was on waivers and no claimed him - not even San Jose

It doesn't mean much, a ton of players get put on waivers at that moment of the year, it is the best timing to get players to pass through waivers, the less risky moment of the season. I was surprised no one took him though. It's him they should have picked instead of Thomson

Jacob Markstrom, Martin St. Louis, Daniel Briere, Paul Byron, Michael Grabner, Nick Paul, Mike Hoffman, Chris Kunitz, Devan Dubnyk, Ray Whitney, Pat Falloon, Richard Panik, Ilya Bryzgalov, Craig Anderson, Chris Osgood, Thomas Hickey, Rich Peverley, Jason Pominville, Jussi Jokinen, Steve Sullivan, etc all guys that cleared waivers or were picked up on waivers

It is stupid and risky to waive young players to not waive BAD veterans though, just like when Dorion waived Balcers, Chlapik and Jaros (IIRC) to NOT waive Paquette, Anisimov and Galchenyuk lol (or any other bad vet, we had plenty)

I guess it was very important to RESPECT Galchenyuk as much as possible!

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

Lassi is our 6th or 7th DMan in Belleville. He's been handily passed by Sebrango, Matinpalo and Kleven this year and was already behind Guenette and Larsson. Lost his spot on the PP, even when he is in the lineup. I would be kinda surprised to see him in NA next year.

Reactions: DrEasy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Lassi is our 6th or 7th DMan in Belleville. He's been handily passed by Sebrango, Matinpalo and Kleven this year and was already behind Guenette and Larsson. Lost his spot on the PP, even when he is in the lineup. I would be kinda surprised to see him in NA next year.
He’s already signed in Finland isn’t he?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
JBD has had a nice season for us this year. Sure he isn’t the guy to take the top for RD spot yet, or maybe ever, but he took steps and the UND coaching has him in the right spot for the most part. All he has to do is keep taking a few small steps forward in his game and he’ll be a guy like DeMelo who many wish we had been patient with.

We have seen JBD lay some big hits, and we have seen him fearlessly block a ton of shots. He’s got good positioning instincts as well.

He’s a guy that I absolutely need to see with the new coaching staff before considering giving up on him.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Pwople like to call players good 6/7s but not sure he’s that. He’s adequate. But if we want to start winning. Doesn’t bring enough

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad