Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Djibril Toure to ELC

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I thought it was funny, don’t worry.

I also don’t think it‘s fair to directly compare him to Xhekaj even if the similarities are there. Wouldn’t be fair to Toure to have those expectations.

I get paid with likes so... :sarcasm:

It's far fetched to expect Toure to play in the NHL as of now but the parallel was a 20 y/o coming out of nowhere. Both are big and intimidating so took the opportunity to give Toure a related nickname lol

We'll have to deal with a lot of Habs fans during the next decade so we need all the weapons we can get! Like "dude, you can't have Wifi without the Router"

Okay I'll stop lol

Wasn't sure if it was somewhat of an anagram of his last name Toure or a play at the 'WiFi' nickname that Xhekaj was given last year.

If you had both in mind, it is clever I will give you that.

Yeah an anagram with Toure (an additional "r" though) related to Xhekaj's nickname

Reactions: PatrickEaves

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I get paid with likes so... :sarcasm:

It's far fetched to expect Toure to play in the NHL as of now but the parallel was a 20 y/o coming out of nowhere. Both are big and intimidating so took the opportunity to give Toure a related nickname lol

We'll have to deal with a lot of Habs fans during the next decade so we need all the weapons we can get! Like "dude, you can't have Wifi without the Router"

Okay I'll stop lol

Yeah an anagram with Toure (an additional "r" though) related to Xhekaj's nickname
Maybe the better nickname would be “Browser” because of the dark web Tor browser, which is pronounced exactly like how his name is.

Reactions: milkbag

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Maybe the better nickname would be “Browser” because of the dark web Tor browser, which is pronounced exactly like how his name is.
Huh, I'd have assumed his named would be pronounced closer to "Too-Ray" with the accent on the "é" at the end, then again, some places I look don't have the accent so maybe it's not supposed to be there.

Reactions: DrEasy

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Clever nickname but I’d rather not propose a nickname which would associate him with Xhekaj.

First it suggests he was signed as a response to Arber and gives too much importance to that bottom pair guy. Toure was signed based on his own tools and merits, he’d have been a good signing regardless of Xhekaj’s presence in the division.

Second, it sets us up for failure in the event of an eventual confrontation between the two as I’m pretty confident Xhekaj would feed him his lunch.

Reactions: swiftwin

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Honestly, he gives me Sutton vibes,

Undrafted,
Super tall
Tough but not really a goon
Good skater for his size (and relative to the era)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Huh, I'd have assumed his named would be pronounced closer to "Too-Ray" with the accent on the "é" at the end, then again, some places I look don't have the accent so maybe it's not supposed to be there.
You’re probably right to be honest, I’ve just been assuming It’s pronounced as if it would be English when he is French.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Honestly, he gives me Sutton vibes,

Undrafted,
Super tall
Tough but not really a goon
Good skater for his size (and relative to the era)
Sutton was big, wide & heavy. Toure looks tall, thin and light weight. He is not afraid of fighting, so that is good and he did fairly well due to his size against that other player known to be a fighter.

To me he looks like a young Darnell Nurse.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sutton was big, wide & heavy. Toure looks tall, thin and light weight. He is not afraid of fighting, so that is good and he did fairly well due to his size against that other player known to be a fighter.

To me he looks like a young Darnell Nurse.
Thats fair, Sutton was already something like 240 as a rookie, Toure isn't that.

Both guys were late bloomers though,

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Thats fair, Sutton was already something like 240 as a rookie, Toure isn't that.

Both guys were late bloomers though,
I'm hoping Toure can turn into a player like Nurse with some development time in Belleville. Hopefully we have a good D coach that can work closely with him in Belleville.

Touré needs to get on a diet of Big Macs, large fries & a coke, no pepsi.
don't forget the poutine and gravy!

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Skates well, but yeah lots of work to do. Looks like a junior player.
He is.

Kid was playing Junior A 2 years ago. His first time on ice with pros was a week ago (I am assuming anyway).

He is project but he has the physical attributes to be molded into a pro over time. Let's see how he does in junior this year and then in the A.

Either way, that moment he shared with his mom is priceless and I don't care if he becomes an NHL player for us. Seeing those families realize a goal like that is very special. What a great memory and validation of his work and sacrifices.

Love those videos, but this one seemed a little more special.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
The Angel Djibril looks to be 4 years away from getting noticed for the big team. Speedy, tall, rangy guy with a range of potential. Loved his signing video.

Reactions: aragorn

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
The Angel Djibril looks to be 4 years away from getting noticed for the big team. Speedy, tall, rangy guy with a range of potential. Loved his signing video.
I will borrow a line from an NBA analyst on the night the Raptors picked Bruno Caboclo in the 1st round of the 2014 NBA draft:

"He's 2 years away from being 2 years away"

Hopefully Djibril turns out better than Caboclo did.

• Haha
Reactions: OD99 and bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad