Prospect Info: Shane Wright (Round 1, Pick #4, 2022 draft)

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
I think it's less than 50%, since he does need some seasoning in the AHL.
Why?

Plenty of guys make the jump after an extra year in junior.

50 games between OHL and AHL isn't enough to change a playing style. If the concern is that he's not carrying the puck or driving the play, then another season in the OHL might not be a bad thing for him. He'll be expected drive the play there.

Mind you, I thought he was good enough to play wing at the NHL level, he shoots well and knows where to go. But a couple of posters here pointed out that he never carried the puck at all, and didn't do it enough in juniors as well. Francis is the type of guy that wants the center driving the play, because that's what he did.

Best case scenario is that Francis somehow manages to sweet talk the OHL into letting him play in CV, but I'm not holding my breath for that.
No but another year of training is enough to make the jump for a lot of guys.

Making the league at 19 after have some experience is a lot different than at 18 experiencing it for the first time.

If wright is smart he’s been working on exactly his flaws for a year.

More time in the OHL is useless. He should be looking at Europe if he doesn’t have an AHL option.

Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Sports leagues pretty much don’t have to bother with obeying laws around worker rights or anti-trust.

If they did then they draft wouldn’t exist. Restricted free agency wouldn’t exist.

There is a huge difference between sports rules restricting options to play in their league and a rule that tells adult players that they can only play in one place and, oh yeah, they can't get paid. It is the single instance of this in professional sports that I am aware of.

If the NBA set rules where any drafted player could only play in the G league and not be paid, would that be legal? If the NFL made arrangements with all football leagues around the world where all drafted players could only play on NFL practice squads for 3 years and the would not be paid, would that be legal?

We are talking about one extreme outlier in all of professional sports here.

Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
There is a huge difference between sports rules restricting options to play in their league and a rule that tells adult players that they can only play in one place and, oh yeah, they can't get paid. It is the single instance of this in professional sports that I am aware of.

If the NBA set rules where any drafted player could only play in the G league and not be paid, would that be legal? If the NFL made arrangements with all football leagues around the world where all drafted players could only play on NFL practice squads for 3 years and the would not be paid, would that be legal?

We are talking about one extreme outlier in all of professional sports here.
NBA draft age is 19, the can't even join the league at 18 like the NHL. So yeah, they have a set rule.

Give it a rest dude, you are not a legal expert.

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
More time in the OHL is useless. He should be looking at Europe if he doesn’t have an AHL option.
He can't go to Europe because his NHL club has him under contract and needs to loan him. The CHL agreement forbids them to loan him anywhere but the OHL.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
NBA draft age is 19, the can't even join the league at 18 like the NHL. So yeah, they have a set rule.

Give it a rest dude, you are not a legal expert.

Age has nothing to do with my point once payers are 18. The NBA is not preventing any players from being payed to play - anytime, anywhere.

18, 19, 24... does not matter. And for the record, I was responding to the poster that quoted me, I have no clue why you felt it necessary to post an irrelevant point that doesn't make any sense in the context of the discussion

Your lack of reading comprehension skills continues to amaze me, and your efforts to once again misdirect a discussion into an irrelevant direction to distract from the point at hand is starting to look like some sick obsession.

I have asked you politely three times to refrain from quoting my posts if you are going to misrepresent what was said, so I once again say, "Dude, Give it a rest" and please stop responding to my posts.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Time to place your bets (before we get the results). Shane Wright, on the Kraken roster this season or not?

I say he's on the roster.

Reactions: deleted user

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Don't see it happening. Wright is going to have to play his way onto the Kraken roster.
Ya, I don't see that happening either. He's not that special or important for them to fight league rules. I see him starting on the 4th line and then moving up or down (out) by his on ice play.

I'm not worried. I think he will be able to hold his own and stick on the roster and then we will see steady improvement and eventually a leap forward.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
That's definitely good, but I still think he's on the Kraken roster to start. They will be patient and let him grow and learn.
If he hits a wall or struggles, having the AHL option is perfect though.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That is great news and probably the best decision for the CHL. They didn't have to do this but good look for them.

Would like to see SW make the NHL squad.

I think they might have had to do it, in other words the NHL might be more inclined to pursue a change in the relationship with the CHL if they screwed over Wright. The CHL can't play their cards too far. At the very least this gets them out of a PR headache.

Either way, nice we don't have to worry about it anymore.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
If the news is true its great news for the Kraken and the faithful and of course with Shane Wright! Thank goodness sanity prevailed! All the best to Shaner wishing the year to be a most memberable one

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't think so. Wright's just not that important.
Agree. Shane Wright isn't more important to the NHL than the CHL. The NHL needs the CHL as a development league for Canadians, one player alone does not change the relationship. I think the fact that he was only 1 game short, they decided to just let him go instead of dealing with negative PR.

I'm a bit surprised, but I think this basically locks Shane into a season in CV. It makes more sense for him to be a leader there than playing 4th line limited minutes in Seattle unless he lights it up in preseason and drives the play. I think that's highly unlikely, players don't change their playing style overnight.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Agree. Shane Wright isn't more important to the NHL than the CHL. The NHL needs the CHL as a development league for Canadians, one player alone does not change the relationship. I think the fact that he was only 1 game short, they decided to just let him go instead of dealing with negative PR.

I'm a bit surprised, but I think this basically locks Shane into a season in CV. It makes more sense for him to be a leader there than playing 4th line limited minutes in Seattle unless he lights it up in preseason and drives the play. I think that's highly unlikely, players don't change their playing style overnight.
I know I'm in the minority here but I think bottom of the roster (and even not dressed for some games) but up with the big team will be better for his development than a CHL year. CHL he will think he's all that and he will get lazy and bored at this stage. With the big club he will see how good the competition is and how hard he has to work. It'll either bring out his competitive work ethic or he will bust.

Working with his NHL coaches and getting veteran guidance will also help more than another year of CHL imo.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

That makes sense to me, the club isn't in a hurry to do anything. I think Shane might actually be pretty helpful on the Kraken powerplay immediately, but they'll probably not make that much of a priority.

I know I'm in the minority here but I think bottom of the roster (and even not dressed for some games) but up with the big team will be better for his development than a CHL year. CHL he will think he's all that and he will get lazy and bored at this stage. With the big club he will see how good the competition is and how hard he has to work. It'll either bring out his competitive work ethic or he will bust.

Working with his NHL coaches and getting veteran guidance will also help more than another year of CHL imo.

That might be true, but I can't really relate to that. It seems to me that if I was in a league where I'd never firmly put my stamp down as the best player and never made it to the league finals, that I'd feel some serious unfinished business.

And the big thing we want him to learn - how to hold pucks under pressure - is something he has yet to master at the OHL level. It's not like he's great at it in the OHL and just trying to figure out how to do it in the pros.

In any case, AHL is the best of both worlds.

Reactions: Gniwder

bmore236

Mar 3, 2004
I I also think losing a year to COVID, where he had no chance to play in the OHL helped the cause of sending him to the AHL.

Reactions: Hocktopus

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
In any case, AHL is the best of both worlds.
Yup, they can always call him up and waive Bellemare if necessary.

I'd rather have Shane start in the AHL then get a call up instead of what happened last season. Sitting in an NHL press box does nothing for him. If there are certain deficiencies in his game, it's up to the Kraken front office to communicate that to the farm team.

Shane is eligible for another ELC slide, so that has to factor in as well. I assume he'll get 9 games though. There's no roster limit after the trade deadline, so they won't even have to waive anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad