• Parekh

• Eiserman

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Plus what’s the ultimate goal? The Habs have so many picks next year. Do they want even more to make a big trade? Is it worth it? I’m of the opinion that this is no draft to try and play cute. Just take your man at 5 and call it a day.

I think the goal would be to try to trade up with the Jets pick and see if they can leave with more quality than quantity.

It's only worth it if a team is offering you another late 1st to move up, or a very high 2nd.

You just have to be confident you are getting paid to take your guy, not that you're getting paid to miss out on your guy.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I don't like the idea of trading down.
You see a Tkachuk, or a Keller, you take them. Don't trade down 3 or 4 spots and end up with Alex Nylander/ Tyson Jost just so you can add another 2nd rd pick.

Alex Nylander was ranked ahead of Keller on McKenzie's poll and on many mock drafts.

You're only trading down if you have guys in your next tier that you are comfortable moving down for.

If the worst case plays out and Demidov is gone at 2 and Lindstrom is gone at 4, then you do your calculus.

The team who wants to move up would likely be targeting Silayev, you'd ask who they were looking to take before you made the trigger, it's pretty common practice. So then you see who is making that offer, and if you can deduce, well if Silayev goes at 5, Utah goes Parekh, and Ottawa is gonna go Dickinson, then you can slide back to 8 for example, still get who you were going to take at 5 and get paid to do so.

But you have to be sure about your calculus, which is why they never entertained trading down last year because they knew the targeted player was Reinbacher and if they moved down beyond Arizona, he'd be gone by them too. They couldn't move back and get who they wanted.

I don't think this is actually why teams trade down. Teams trade down when they're comfortable they can get a guy (or the guy) in the same tier.

And I'm pretty sure if Montreal's in a position where they think a D-man is the best choice (i.e. there's no comparable forward), they'll take the D-man. Which is the correct move (you can always try to swing a Gauthier/Drysdale or Byram/Mittelstadt trade in the future).

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Alex Nylander was ranked ahead of Keller on McKenzie's poll and on many mock drafts.

I don't think this is actually why teams trade down. Teams trade down when they're comfortable they can get a guy (or the guy) in the same tier.

And I'm pretty sure if Montreal's in a position where they think a D-man is the best choice (i.e. there's no comparable forward), they'll take the D-man. Which is the correct move (you can always try to swing a Gauthier/Drysdale or Byram/Mittelstadt trade in the future).

Nah they already said if the situation is where the BPA is clearly LD that they'll explore trading down. They don't want to take a LD and those types of trades are the exception not the norm.

Reactions: Rozz and Pat Riot

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022

Yes, you can try . . . but they happen infrequently. An we're not drafting a left D at 5, so . . . as long as as two D go in the top 4, say hi to Lindstrom or Demidov (probably Lindstrom), which would be excellent.

Reactions: Rozz

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Yes, you can try . . . but they happen infrequently. An we're not drafting a left D at 5, so . . . as long as as two D go in the top 4, say hi to Lindstrom or Demidov (probably Lindstrom), which would be excellent.

Of course. Same with moving Romanov to acquire Dach. But the reason those types of moves happen infrequently isn't because the offensive players are unavailable, its because no one wants to move young D.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I think Parekh will surprise some of you once he hits the NHL. But honestly I'm a fan of most of the D in our range. Buium, Levshunov etc.
Maybe.

But let him surprise some other team. In a rich/deep draft like this, one shouldn't be banking on surprises at 5 OA. You draft for probability. And if Hughes and team should somehow decide to draft Parekh ahead of one of Dickinson, Levshunov, Buium or Yakemchuk, my disappointment would approach illness.

Taking Parekh at 5 OA with all the other available options, isn't a question of being governed by the principle of calculated risk but a matter of incompetence.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I think the goal would be to try to trade up with the Jets pick and see if they can leave with more quality than quantity.

It's only worth it if a team is offering you another late 1st to move up, or a very high 2nd.

You just have to be confident you are getting paid to take your guy, not that you're getting paid to miss out on your guy.

Step 1 - Habs pick 5th OA.

Step 2 - Trade #27 + #58 to move up in the 1st round, preferably between 18-21.

Conclusion - Leave the draft with a Top-5 pick and maybe a late teens or early 20s pick.

But also wouldn't be surprised if they simply use the Jets' pick to trade for a young established player a la Dach and Newhook.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
One option might be to trade the Jets pick for a 2025 1st+3rd, if some playoff team really wants a player in that range.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Or we could just draft him. He’s a RD.

Yup, as much as I want a forward, it would be nuts to pass on him because he's a D at 5. I highly doubt he makes it to us, but if he did, you have to take him in that scenario IMO.

Unless the offer to trade down is so enticing you can't refuse.

A RD like Levshunov has massive value. To me he'd easily be the BPA at that spot under these conditions.

As much as I like our D prospect pool, we don't have a guaranteed #1 just yet, we may have one already in the stable, but there's nothing wrong with securing that bet.

You can never have too many great dmen. NEVER.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rozz and FloJack

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yup, as much as I want a forward, it would be nuts to pass on him because he's a D at 5. I highly doubt he makes it to us, but if he did, you have to take him in that scenario IMO.

A RD like Levshunov has massive value. To me he'd easily be the BPA at that spot under these conditions.

As much as I like our D prospect pool, we don't have a guaranteed #1 just yet, we may have one already in the stable, but there's nothing wrong with securing that bet.

Say we could pick between Demidov and Levshunov, who is your pick?

What about Lindstrom or Levshunov?

Reactions: HabbyGuy

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Say we could pick between Demidov and Levshunov, who is your pick?

What about Lindstrom or Levshunov?

We were talking about a scenario where Demidov and Lindstrom were already off the board leaving Levshunov remarkably available to us at 5. Under any other scenario I'm taking one of 1st - Demidov or 2nd - Lindstrom.

If all of Levshunov, Demidov and Lindstrom are gone by our pick, than we can discuss moving down, or just grabbing the foward management covets at 5 (Iginla?) and be done with it. LD should not be a consideration for our team.

So for me if any of these guys are available at 5 it's...

Demidov
Lindstrom
Levshunov in that order

I'd be too hardpressed to pass on the RD of Levshunov's value at 5 if both Demidov and Lindstrom are gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rozz and Shutdown

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We were talking about a scenario where Demidov and Lindstrom were already off the board leaving Levshunov remarkably available to us at 5. Under any other scenario I'm taking one of 1st - Demidov or 2nd - Lindstrom.

If all of Levshunov, Demidov and Lindstrom are gone by our pick, than we can discuss moving down, or just grabbing the foward management covets at 5 and be done with it. LD should not be a consideration for our team.

So for me if any of these guys are available at 5 it's...

Demidov
Lindstrom
Levshunov in that order

I'd be too hardpressed to pass on the RD of Levshunov's value at 5 if both Demidov and Lindstrom are gone.

Dobber prospects are really high on Tij Iginla.
See them glow about him here:

In their recent mock draft, they have Iginla going to us even though Lindstrom is on their board, because they have Columbus taking Saliyev:

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002

Robinson, Savard and Lapointe would all agree with you.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Dobber prospects are really high on Tij Iginla.
See them glow about him here:

In their recent mock draft, they have Iginla going to us even though Lindstrom is on their board, because they have Columbus taking Saliyev:

Yeah, I like Iggy, just have Lindstrom as my personal preference between the two. Either way, I love that we didn't drop after the lottery, we're going to get a great prospect there no matter how it shakes out. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rozz and 26Mats

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Maybe.

But let him surprise some other team. In a rich/deep draft like this, one shouldn't be banking on surprises at 5 OA. You draft for probability. And if Hughes and team should somehow decide to draft Parekh ahead of one of Dickinson, Levshunov, Buium or Yakemchuk, my disappointment would approach illness.

Taking Parekh at 5 OA with all the other available options, isn't a question of being governed by the principle of calculated risk but a matter of incompetence.
I don't get this. If anything, it's Sennecke that is more a boom a bust. Every top end draft pick, usually, ever year, crushes the stats in their draft year compared to the previous year. Look at Catton, Parekh, Iginla, Yakemchuck etc. Look at Buium insane NCAA numbers. Or Levshunov. Taking Sennecke IS the riskiest pick. Not saying a bad one. Kid does have things going for him.

Why in the world would you not be able to work with Parekh defensively while you will have nothing else to show him while you might want to refine every single aspect of Sennecke's game 'cause he's far from a finished product?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't get this. If anything, it's Sennecke that is more a boom a bust. Every top end draft pick, usually, ever year, crushes the stats in their draft year compared to the previous year. Look at Catton, Parekh, Iginla, Yakemchuck etc. Look at Buium insane NCAA numbers. Or Levshunov. Taking Sennecke IS the riskiest pick. Not saying a bad one. Kid does have things going for him.

Why in the world would you not be able to work with Parekh defensively while you will have nothing else to show him while you might want to refine every single aspect of Sennecke's game 'cause he's far from a finished product?

Agreed.

Iginla has earned 5-12 consideration. Sennecke has earned 8-15 consideration.

Parekh scares me a bit too. But I do see the offensive potential. He is definitely in the 3-10 conversation. I just don't see real BPA in a way where if we take Iggy, it's a big reach. Do you think he has Q Hughes in him?

Good drafting teams target skating/skill/size. Iggy has all 3 and is not doing this as a later 18 year old either. Look his resume. International numbers are very good (both U17's and U18's). Draft year is very impressive with his goals, points, and playoff numbers. Already at 185 lbs and one of the youngest. Already has a NHL shot.

He's standing there right in front of our face. I've asked several times... what is his flaws?

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002

Its rather simple. At 5 OA you should be taking the best player available. Parekh won’t even be the best defenceman who will be available at 5 OA.

If the draft goes as it should the first three picks after Celebrini should be Demidov, Lindstrom and Levshunov. It would take a bold person indeed to take Parekh ahead of Dickinson, Buium or Iginla. In this writer’s opinion there are at least half a dozen other players, including Yakemchuk, Silayev, Catton and Sennecke who should (will) go before Parekh.

In following Beck’s progress this year, I have had the opportunity to watch Parekh’s level of play and in this writer’s opinion I have doubts about the transferability of his game to the NHL. I may be wrong. Perhaps with work, as you note, he can develop the skills necessary to play effectively in the NHL.

But at 5OA I want to draft a surer option. And the depth of this draft, particularly in the top 10, offer much surer options than Parekh. Much surer. If we miss at 5 OA, we are setting back the pace and course of our rebuild significantly.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad