20-21 years old.

2.62 GAA
91.1 sv%

Given a 3 year bridge @ $3.5 mil on July 1, 2016. A year before his ELC expires

Knight's first 36 games:
19-20 years old

2.74 GAA
91.4 sv%

Given a 3 year bridge @ $4.5 mil on September 27, 2022. A year before his ELC expires

Also the cap proposed to go up as much as $10 million by 2025-26, Florida is setting up to retain on Bob.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Vasi's first 40 games:
20-21 years old.

2.62 GAA
91.1 sv%

Given a 3 year bridge @ $3.5 mil on July 1, 2016. A year before his ELC expires

Knight's first 36 games:
19-20 years old

2.74 GAA
91.4 sv%

Given a 3 year bridge @ $4.5 mil on September 27, 2022. A year before his ELC expires

Also the cap proposed to go up as much as $10 million by 2025-26, Florida is setting up to retain on Bob.
Good bye 2027 first lol

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Zito's been puttin up some stinkers after his great 1st year.

Yup. The TDL trades were his lowest point thus far but I think that this one can be determined to be yet another bad move only if SK doesn't develop into a ~top5 tendy in the league when he's on his last year of his contract.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Yup. The TDL trades were his lowest point thus far but I think that this one can be determined to be yet another bad move only if SK doesn't develop into a ~top5 tendy in the league when he's on his last year of his contract.
Paying SK that much money forces the coach to play him to a large extent. This should put also pressure on Bob that he has to perform so that he does not lose his spot. On the sports side, I don't think the move is that bad. On the financial side, we will know in 3 years

Reactions: harv33173

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Paying SK that much money forces the coach to play him to a large extent. This should put also pressure on Bob that he has to perform so that he does not lose his spot. On the sports side, I don't think the move is that bad. On the financial side, we will know in 3 years

Well, a coach doesn't exactly look at the payroll and allocate the TOI based on the dollars spent per player. This just determines how valuable SK is regardless how many games he plays for the Cats. I don't think Bob really cares whether he's the starter or the backup as much as trying to maintain a good save%.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Well, a coach doesn't exactly look at the payroll and allocate the TOI based on the dollars spent per player. This just determines how valuable SK is regardless how many games he plays for the Cats. I don't think Bob really cares whether he's the starter or the backup as much as trying to maintain a good save%.
No, he does not look at the payroll. Nevertheless, it still supports Zito's vision and SK's claim to be a true starting goalie at some point.
Bob is a true pro and does a lot for the team, even if it means spending more time on the bench. But he is also a true pro that wants to play and make a difference on the ice. I doubt he is only stat watching - which is anyway a ridiculous thing to do for a defensively challenged team like ours - or would accept SK to be the better goalie stealing his ice time.

Reactions: Jean Luc Discard

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
would accept SK to be the better goalie stealing his ice time.

If SK plays better than him then he's going to steal aka earn his ice time. Then Bob would just have to accept the status quo instead of acting like a prima donna in front of Maurice, demanding that he'd be the starter regardless how much better SK might be. Therefore, he'd have to, as a pro, just accept the situation. For an instance, SK might go on a beast mode and accrue like a .960 save% while Bob has a measly .925 save%... can't do much about it in that case.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Good to have him signed, but it's least 500k too high IMO; would have hoped for something like 3.5x3. As promising as Knight is, he's played 38 NHL games so far; his AHL stats are decent but not great.
I don't hate this, but it's another Zito move that feels kinda meh. Would be nice to have another "home run" like we had in his first season.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
He should change his name to Spencer King with all that cash.
So for next year, we currently have the #2 and #20 in terms of cap hit. That is some cap allocation. I think everybody can see that it's an over-payment, but he's one of a couple of guy I'm somehow okay with overpaying a little.

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
Somehow it looks like that this was a good contract if Bob earned $6m a season but now because of Bob's huge contract, also this contract is a bad one. Bob's contract honestly has nothing to do with Spencer's contract. When it comes to numbers, we have to take into consideration that once a goalie plays one season really well his value skyrockets. I'd rather pay a little bit too much for potential than face a situation where the price gets too high to pay. We've seen several cases in the NHL where even top teams haven't been able to keep their goalies. Of course $14.5m is too much for the goalie tandem but there are other money pits. This season Panthers is still paying $5.4m for Yandle and Hörnqvist earns $5.3m, which is too much. Next season there are more $$$s to spend.

If we take a look at other goalies, then of course Shesterkin is an exception. His performance is in 8 figures but he gets paid only $5.67m. That's a steal. Also $5m that Saros is earning is quite a cheap contract. He is a nr. 1 goalie in Nashville and plays really well. There are, however, goalies that earn almost as much as Knight is going to earn without potential that Spencer has. I'd take anytime Spencer for $4.5m compared to Driedger for $3.5m just to mention one example. Spencer is young, talented and has potential for becoming a star. Especially I like the fact that he seems to be mentally tough.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Zito's been puttin up some stinkers after his great 1st year.

I don’t think this is a steal today but it’s not garbage either.

If Knight shows he’s ready to be a starter next year those 3 years at 4.5M will be very valuable to Florida.

Just need to get rid of Bobs contract to get the full benefit.

I gotta say.. Thank god Lundell has 2 more years left. Zito would signed him to 8x8

Honestly that 8x8 would probably be a steal at that point.

Stutzle just signed for that and in 2 years time Lundell could be a 1C and far superior to Stutzle at the time of signing.
He already was more valuable as a rookie

Reactions: BabyBennettov

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
To be fair, Knight is a starting caliber goalie, and might become an elite goalie in 2 years. So in the end the price tag of 4.5 mil for Knight might be a lot more acceptable in 2 years than it looks like right now. If Bobrovsky wasn't paid such a ludicrous amount, would anyone have a problem with this deal? I believe this contract actually gives the Panthers more flexibility when it comes to shipping out Bob's contract; his deal will end concurrently with Knight's.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Don't like this deal, at least at this point of time. That's a lot of cap hit for a guy who has shown signs of being elite but also struggling at times.

Reactions: I am not exposed

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
First 14 games, got sent down to AHL.
Weird because 4 of his 7 wins are:

2 vs TB, 1 vs CAR and 1 vs WSH but also had two games where he gave up 6 and 8 respectively.

GAA = 3.00

Screenshot_20220929-155353_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last 18 games, pretty decent numbers.

Screenshot_20220929-155316_Samsung Internet.jpg

GAA just above 2.16

He gave up 5 twice in this stretch but to CGY and TB.

He was facing more non playoff teams during this last stretch but helped us secure top spot in the Atlantic over the Leafs who played TB first round.

Reactions: BabyBennettov

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I’m okay with this deal. Zito knows that playoffs require players who are tough under pressure. Knight is one of them and will be even more so.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I think it was on TSN that LeBrun or someone else mentioned this deal was done now in part to stave off any potential offer sheets down the road. Not sure how much truth is in that but thought it was interesting nonetheless.

Was gonna post the same. It does make sense in that light. You know he'd get offer sheeted for sure

Necrobutcher

Sep 20, 2018
Tampere, Finland
I've been pondering about the possible destinations for Bob next summer and Buffalo does make some sense. A three way deal would be the optimal choice with us retaining 20-30% and the middle man 50%. The Sabres would be on schedule to start getting competitive and Bob could be a great mentor for Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen in a possible 1A & 1B situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad