Sports commentators doing other sports

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
We all know Al Michaels doing Hockey during the Miracle on Ice. But did you know Mike "Doc" Emrick did at least 1 NFL game during the 1992 season for CBS? I have the video evidence:

Emrick was the Flyers' in-house commentator going back to the 1980s. Part of his departure was over his demand he'd be allowed to call sports on a national level, not limited to the NFL, which would have required a second voice to call games for the team.

As far as Al Michaels, he was the Reds' announcer back in the 1970s and was in essence replaced by Marty Brennaman who remains the team's radio voice.

Here is Michaels calling one of the most famous home runs of that era.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Sam Rosen calls football games on FOX although he's much more known as the Rangers' announcer.

Al Trautwig, the studio host on MSG for a few decades is somehow an analyst for gymnastics in the Olympics. It's the weirdest ****.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
John Forslund has called some NCAA football games in the past. I'll see if I can find any audio. Can't recall him doing it in a while though.

Sep 19, 2008
A lot of the commentators you see on TV do other sports, they don't stick to one. Jack Edwards did nesn red Sox hosting while Bruins play by play voice... Joe beninati did college football on btn the week before hockey started. I think it's kind of cool and the geek in me is always looking forward to it. I watched a fair amount of Polo just for Emrick during the last Olympics lol.

DyerMaker66*

Well, he tries to. Unfortunately he's been in a bunch of NHL vedo games. Chris Cuthbert does CFL as well as the NHL, as did Dave Randorf before he left TSN. I think Jim Hughson used to call baseball.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Matt Devlin, the raptors play by play guy, occasionally calls Jays games

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Ed Olczyk

_MG_5685.jpg

Sep 19, 2008
Yeah, Jack Edwards used to be a national broadcaster for ESPN NHL hockey and soccer. Wish he'd do it again. :cry:

Sep 19, 2008
It's supposed to be one game which is a shame but he's still doing spring training baseball

He's only called one baseball game in his life

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Gary Thorne did hockey, college hoops and college football

Joe Buck does football and baseball.

Jim Nantz basketball and football.

Michaels does football now.

Not sure what you'd say for Costas. Don't think he's ever called another sport outside of baseball though I think he did cover a minor league basketball team once in St. Louis.

Now the best ones call multiple sports. Like look at ESPN. Swan McDonaugh. Dan Schulman. Dave O'Brien. Brent Musburger.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Sam Rosen calls football games on FOX although he's much more known as the Rangers' announcer.

Al Trautwig, the studio host on MSG for a few decades is somehow an analyst for gymnastics in the Olympics. It's the weirdest ****.

Young Al Trautwig came to Australia in the 80s with the Harlem Globetrotters to call their games.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I think that blowhard John Walton who calls Hershey Bears games and is known as a joke to minor league fans in how biased he is for Hershey calls some A-10 basketball on NBCSN.

There's Ian "I can't pronounce" my name right Eagle.

Gus Johnson. He used to do Knicks games on top of all the college hoops and football.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Gary Thorne did hockey, college hoops and college football

Joe Buck does football and baseball.

Jim Nantz basketball and football.

Michaels does football now.

Not sure what you'd say for Costas. Don't think he's ever called another sport outside of baseball though I think he did cover a minor league basketball team once in St. Louis.

Now the best ones call multiple sports. Like look at ESPN. Swan McDonaugh. Dan Schulman. Dave O'Brien. Brent Musburger.

They both also do Golf.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad