Injury Report: Stützle(Upper Body) - Week to Week

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
That's what I meant, so I dont want them to rush anything until the team is close. They are in a lottery position now is not the time.
"Lottery position" is such a disingenuous term. Literally every team that's not in the playoffs is in a lottery position. You're either in the playoffs, or in a lottery position. There's no in between. Out goal should be to make the playoffs, not to be in a lottery position.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
"Lottery position" is such a disingenuous term. Literally every team that's not in the playoffs is in a lottery position. You're either in the playoffs, or in a lottery position. There's no in between. Out goal should be to make the playoffs, not to be in a lottery position.
The only thing disingenuous is suggesting that the actual spot they are in the standings is not what it is. Do you understand the word? Is 3rd last in the conference better?

Or are you arguing now is the time to sell the farm to try and get better now? My entire argument is right in this thread unless you didnt read it?

The goal should be to make the playoffs but not at the expense of actually winning a cup at some point. If anyone is here just to be happy to sneak in then you are a loser. Its a loser mentality.

Reactions: Bileur

Nova Stutzlia

Oct 23, 2021
Next 3 possible games for Tim would be:
- Jets next Tuesday
- Caps Thursday
- Wings Friday.
Hopefully he's at least ready by Thursday.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
The only thing disingenuous is suggesting that the actual spot they are in the standings is not what it is. Do you understand the word? Is 3rd last in the conference better?

Or are you arguing now is the time to sell the farm to try and get better now? My entire argument is right in this thread unless you didnt read it?

The goal should be to make the playoffs but not at the expense of actually winning a cup at some point. If anyone is here just to be happy to sneak in then you are a loser. Its a loser mentality.
Fair. I didn't read back far enough. I thought you were arguing that we shouldn't have gone for Giroux/DeBrincat/Talbot. I agree that we shouldn't sell the farm right now. The pieces are in place (except maybe an extra top 4 D), the team just needs to learn and grow.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
A lot will depend on what the new owners will want to do. Might even be something in place now (a freeze on anything of substance) given that ownership is pending in a fairly short timeframe.

We only have $3.4 m of cap space now, so not a lot of magic can be performed (unless cap is moved out) now anyhow and in-season trades have been scarce for years.

Maybe something is done at the TDL (they move somebody they think they can't resign), but a lot will depend on what the new owners want to do.

I could guess, but I think I'll just wait.
And I respect the waiting part. That's a rare approach around here yet we should all do more of that and less speculation.

1 week in the end so I guess it's all a moot point.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
It depends on how you define "compete".

Nobody should be expecting to go to the 3rd round or Finals until those guys are in their primes, of course. But competing for a wildcard spot? We should already be there.

Obviously it doesn't always go this way, but usually the playoff progression goes like:

Year 1 - Happy to be there, let's get some experience and hope to get the series to 6 or 7 games
Year 2 - Let's win a round and learn what it takes to do it
Year 3 - Our goal is to get to the Finals and win

We can all agree that this won't be Year 1. But it has to be next year.
I refuse to acquiesce! We just need one good winning streak to start correcting the scales :)

Reactions: Ice-Tray

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Well the rebuild really just started. The 2020 draft was the game changer where they had 11 picks. Only 2 of the are on the team right now and they are both only 20. The team is going to go as they go and they just started. So unfortunately people are just going to have to be patient and let both Sanderson and Stutzle develop. Once they are in their primes is when this team should start to compete. The Debrincat deal to me was a bit of a panic trade. They need to retain him.
Agreed for the most part except the Debrincat trade was to begin instilling a winning culture and to sell hope and for that I agreed with it, even if it was a season or two premature from purely a competitive window standpoint.

And I don't think we would be questioning it had a few things gone differently so far this season, notably the Norris injury and goaltending.

The good news is that Norris may be back for 1/3 of the season and we are not out of it yet. The bad news is the DCat deal is going to look even worse when we trade him this season or next unless PD somehow pulls a rabbit out of a hat and gets an impact RD for him.

But still, I like the move because we were desperate to show a paradigm shift to the fanbase, league and perhaps even our own players (recall all the stock that was put into Brady and Chabot's exit interview last year).

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
The goal should be to make the playoffs but not at the expense of actually winning a cup at some point. If anyone is here just to be happy to sneak in then you are a loser. Its a loser mentality
I agree totally with that point of view

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
That's what I meant, so I dont want them to rush anything until the team is close. They are in a lottery position now is not the time.
Yes, and progressions are not always (often are not) linear either.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Glad to hear Timmy's injury isn't serious.

Being without our top 2 centres for an extended period of time would be the death knell for getting back in the playoff race.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Reminds me of my own shoulder contusion.

I was body surfing in Mexico and a wave flung me towards the ocean bottom where I impacted directly on my right shoulder.

Needless to say, my arm was dangling when I got out of the water.

Upon returning to Ottawa, doctor was amazed at my luck as I missed having it shattered by a few cm, with just a really ugly bruise that drained all down my chest like a terrible tattoo.

I was relieved, and he sort of nonchalantly added, “Yeah, well, you will have stiffness or limited motion later in life, but that happens with pretty much all shoulder injuries.”

It’s a very vulnerable joint because of the complexity and he said that most people end up injuring at some point if they play sports or do anything physical.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: DrEasy

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto

I get what your saying, but cup winning teams generally didn't start out as powerhouse playoff favourites immediately after a rebuild. I'm sure Colorado was happy to "sneak in" as one of the wild card teams in the first couple of seasons after coming out of their rebuild. You have to start somewhere.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I get what your saying, but cup winning teams generally didn't start out as powerhouse playoff favourites immediately after a rebuild. I'm sure Colorado was happy to "sneak in" as one of the wild card teams in the first couple of seasons after coming out of their rebuild. You have to start somewhere.
Do you think this team is a player away from that? Their best players are 20 years old. Its not the time to go for it on any level. They are starting, they are getting better. Selling the farm makes no sense at this point you need a steady pipeline to compete.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Do you think this team is a player away from that? Their best players are 20 years old. Its not the time to go for it on any level. They are starting, they are getting better. Selling the farm makes no sense at this point you need a steady pipeline to compete.
Couldn’t agree more.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I mean what kind of message does it send to the players when they keep a coach who hasn't been able to deliver results and the gm did not get help on the blueline.

The players might like the coach, but a good leader looks past who likes who. Its a professional workplace and the amount of rope this coaching staff has had is ridiculous. When it comes to messages being sent, I think the organization has already been sending the wrong ones from the start of the season.

To be fair, given the injuries we have, its hard to imagine we can sustainably manage some winning hockey. Not just because we're particularly bad or anything, but any team that's lost its top 2 centres and best defensive defender will need some serious luck on their side, regardless of what anyone thinks about management. I'll still be cheering for wins every game, but its easy to get into "aim low and avoid disappointment"
The players love the coach, and the captain came out and publicly backed him. I think the message the GM is putting out about supporting DJ is well received by the team. The players aren’t idiots, they don’t ‘like like’ DJ but secretly know he sucks at his job. They are pros, and obviously believe in the process they are in right now. If that changes, or the roster needs a serious shake up, that will happen. So far it looks like patience is being rewarded with the on ice play starting to match the underlying stats.

I totally get the aim low and avoid disappointment, but the other way is to simply open the disappointments to see the silver linings, and otherwise just enjoy the highs. This was a season where we weren’t going to get a high pick, and weren’t going to make the playoffs, in all likelihood, so it was always going to be tough in terms of excitement. The truth is that we have to push though the medium phase, which will be tough because it’s filled with inconsistencies, but I’ll be damned if I’m not going to hope for the best, cheer for the wins, and enjoy watching the kids continue to develop. Silver lining this season is a deep draft, so that even a late pick will net us a solid prospect. :)

Reactions: SensCaper

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Reminds me of my own shoulder contusion.

I was body surfing in Mexico and a wave flung me towards the ocean bottom where I impacted directly on my right shoulder.

Needless to say, my arm was dangling when I got out of the water.

Upon returning to Ottawa, doctor was amazed at my luck as I missed having it shattered by a few cm, with just a really ugly bruise that drained all down my chest like a terrible tattoo.

I was relieved, and he sort of nonchalantly added, “Yeah, well, you will have stiffness or limited motion later in life, but that happens with pretty much all shoulder injuries.”

It’s a very vulnerable joint because of the complexity and he said that most people end up injuring at some point if they play sports or do anything physical.
Cool tat bro!

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
The players love the coach, and the captain came out and publicly backed him. I think the message the GM is putting out about supporting DJ is well received by the team. The players aren’t idiots, they don’t ‘like like’ DJ but secretly know he sucks at his job. They are pros, and obviously believe in the process they are in right now. If that changes, or the roster needs a serious shake up, that will happen. So far it looks like patience is being rewarded with the on ice play starting to match the underlying stats.

I totally get the aim low and avoid disappointment, but the other way is to simply open the disappointments to see the silver linings, and otherwise just enjoy the highs. This was a season where we weren’t going to get a high pick, and weren’t going to make the playoffs, in all likelihood, so it was always going to be tough in terms of excitement. The truth is that we have to push though the medium phase, which will be tough because it’s filled with inconsistencies, but I’ll be damned if I’m not going to hope for the best, cheer for the wins, and enjoy watching the kids continue to develop. Silver lining this season is a deep draft, so that even a late pick will net us a solid prospect. :)
Don't get me wrong, I'm still enjoying watching aspects of the team, especially Sanderson and will still end up watching 75+ games (live or recorded) while cheering. But I have zero faith in management. The players backing a coach with such a poor record as DJ doesn't instill any confidence in me. The players may not feel they are performing their best, but if they genuinely believe that there aren't any issues in the style of game we're playing, that's a larger cause for worry. I want Dorion to hold this team accountable, which he hasn't.

I don't trust this process given the rope DJ has received compared to other coaches that have been in similar positions and I don't trust DJ to be able to coach a team without Stu, Norris, and Zub to be defensively sound enough to stay competitive. DJ isn't the first coach to deal with so many injuries and he won't be the last.

I didn't expect a surefire playoff spot this season, but I expected us to be competitive until spring, which we still can be, but mathematically our chances of playoff hockey or finishing near a wildcard battle are low considering where we are after 28 games.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Don't get me wrong, I'm still enjoying watching aspects of the team, especially Sanderson and will still end up watching 75+ games (live or recorded) while cheering. But I have zero faith in management. The players backing a coach with such a poor record as DJ doesn't instill any confidence in me. The players may not feel they are performing their best, but if they genuinely believe that there aren't any issues in the style of game we're playing, that's a larger cause for worry. I want Dorion to hold this team accountable, which he hasn't.

I don't trust this process given the rope DJ has received compared to other coaches that have been in similar positions and I don't trust DJ to be able to coach a team without Stu, Norris, and Zub to be defensively sound enough to stay competitive. DJ isn't the first coach to deal with so many injuries and he won't be the last.

I didn't expect a surefire playoff spot this season, but I expected us to be competitive until spring, which we still can be, but mathematically our chances of playoff hockey or finishing near a wildcard battle are low considering where we are after 28 games.
I totally hear you, and it makes sense for sure. When it comes to the Sens I’m just a sucker till the end lol

• Haha
Reactions: bicboi64

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think figuring out what we have was derailed more or less in game 5. Would Norris's presence have resulted in 2 more wins in the last 23 games? It probably would have. Where would that put us? 5 points out with 2 games in hand. I think this could have been the sneak in the back door year...but it's the Senators and injuries f***ed it up before it got started.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad