Series Talk: Stanley Cup Playoffs 2024

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Can someone remind me, does the 2nd round starts when every 1st round series isn’t over?

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Meanwhile the Avs have had at least 12 shots in 9 of 12 periods against the best defensive team in the regular season.
While the Jets tied Florida for lowest goals against they were 11th in shots against. Of the playoff teams the Canes, Panthers, Kings, Oilers, Canucks, Stars and Rags all gave up less shots per game than the Jets. I’m too lazy to look up the shot quality data but the Jets defensive game has been overblown. Their regular season goaltending was outstanding though

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Kings dominated this game and yet, it never felt like the Oilers lead was in trouble.

LA doesn't have any gamebreakers. As good as Adrian Kempe is, he's a 60-70 point player. Kevin Fiala is a ~25 goal guy. Those are your two best offensive players. Quinton Byfield looks great but he was only a 55 point guy this season.

The team can't score goals when they need to. They're paying Pierre-Luc Dubois 8M to play on the 3rd line because there hasn't been an NHLer in the history of this game to regress as quickly and as hard as he has. From top line center helping eliminate the Toronto Maple Leafs in the 1st round of the playoffs to 3rd line scrub hardly able to play 13:00 minutes in what, 4 years? He's 25. Imagine what this guy will look like in 5 years if he's even in the league at that point.

So long, L.A. Your boring ass style will not be missed. The Oilers are going to annihilate them in game 5.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Crazy thought:

Would LA entertain buying out Dubois this Summer? He's only 25 so it would be 1/3 instead of 2/3. I doubt there are any takers for this guy via trade unless a bad contract is coming back (hello, Huberdeau).

What a waste of talent.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Crazy thought:

Would LA entertain buying out Dubois this Summer? He's only 25 so it would be 1/3 instead of 2/3. I doubt there are any takers for this guy via trade unless a bad contract is coming back (hello, Huberdeau).

What a waste of talent.
14 years of cap penalty. It would be a move for sure.

• Haha
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
lol they aren't buying him out

Boston was ready to move Ullmark for PLD at the deadline. If LA wants to trade him someome will take him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
PLD is the new RyJo... somebody will think they can fix him, and maybe they can for 1-3 seasons. The dude is allergic to actually working, but has 1st line talent.
lol they aren't buying him out

Boston was ready to move Ullmark for PLD at the deadline. If LA wants to trade him someome will take him.
I'm pretty sure he will end up in Boston one day. Maybe not this summer, but at some point in his career.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
PLD is the new RyJo... somebody will think they can fix him, and maybe they can for 1-3 seasons. The dude is allergic to actually working, but has 1st line talent.

I'm pretty sure he will end up in Boston one day. Maybe not this summer, but at some point in his career.
If there's one org that has a chance to change him it's Boston.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Boston ain't changing shit. PLD is going to be a 40-50 point max player the rest of this deal. What an actual bum.
I dunno Boston and Colorado seem to be magicians with reclamation or taking guys to the next level. Lindholm while good became better especially last year. Zacha, Coyle, Ullmark, and even DeBrusk too. They have a way of getting guys to buy in. I always thought leadership was overrated but you see now what a strong locker room can do - Toronto should imo be handling Boston but they are mentally weak and a rudderless ship. Avs have experienced it too at times with Landy missing.

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I dunno Boston and Colorado seem to be magicians with reclamation or taking guys to the next level. Lindholm while good became better especially last year. Zacha, Coyle, Ullmark, and even DeBrusk too. They have a way of getting guys to buy in. I always thought leadership was overrated but you see now what a strong locker room can do - Toronto should imo be handling Boston but they are mentally weak and a rudderless ship. Avs have experienced it too at times with Landy missing.
None of those players mentioned besides Zacha were underachievers with their previous teams. Coyle was fine in Minnesota, he's simply playing with better linemates now. Lindholm was highly regarded in Anaheim, and Ullmark was fine in Buffalo when he wasn't hurt which admittedly wasn't often.

PLD is an entirely different beast. Quit on 2, now seemingly 3 teams. 4th time the charm? Or perhaps he is a guy who got paid and now doesn't give a f***.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

There has to be a willingness from the player to change their ways and want to be successful. They have to make themselves vulnerable and accept that everything they've known has to be altered. Drouin was made a healthy scratch at times to start the season, ended the year as a first line winger. RyJo was never willing to change and it didn't work.

At the end of the day, teams like Boston/Colorado can turn around reclamation projects, but the player has to be willing to put in the work. Not sure PLD is that kind of guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad