Stuart Skinner worst playoff sv% since Cloutier.

2for1PizzaPastuh

Jan 13, 2023
You mean, in an alternate reality where the Oilers had a different roster? One where they had drafted and developed better, so they had the depth to deal with injuries and/or underperforming players?

If only Pettersson wasn't in a funk, or maybe if Mikheyev hadn't forgotten how to score, or if Demko wasn't injured, or if... Canucks could make the same excuses too.
The reality is that your favorite team made poor roster moves and now have to live with the consequences. Their goaltenders and depth beyond the 5 members that make up their PP1 unit, are passable during the regular season, but get exposed in the playoffs.
Skinner is literally 69th of 69 in sv% among all goalies with >15 playoff games since 2005. The facts are that the Canucks are getting multiple freebies a game against an all-time worst and barely scraping out one goal wins against this guy. Less than impressive, to be honest.

Reactions: AvroArrow

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Skinner is literally 69th of 69 in sv% among all goalies with >15 playoff games since 2005. The facts are that the Canucks are getting multiple freebies a game against an all-time worst and barely scraping out one goal wins against this guy. Less than impressive, to be honest.

Let's be fair here, Canucks are playing their rookie third string goalie, and Oilers has gotten more than a few offensive bounces off Tyler Myers and Ian Cole.

Reactions: banks

2for1PizzaPastuh

Jan 13, 2023
Let's be fair here, Canucks are playing their rookie third string goalie, and Oilers has gotten more than a few offensive bounces off Tyler Myers and Ian Cole.
Skinner is literally the worst goalie of the last 20 postseasons. That rookie third string goalie is a perennial Vezina finalist compared to him.

Reactions: Zerotonine

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Skinner is literally the worst goalie of the last 20 postseasons. That rookie third string goalie is a perennial Vezina finalist compared to him.
And that is on management for not addressing it. Skinner wasn't great last year, and they ran it back. This is the team they chose, and now they have to live with it. The Oilers don't get some magical mulligan for making stupid choices.

It's also not like he's giving up weak goals, he's just not coming up with the big save at the right time. Silovs has some history of doing that, Skinner does not. Once again, this doesn't excuse the Oilers' choices.

Canucks have beaten the Oilers D, and created high quality chances. They've proven many times, that they don't need to have high shot totals to score, because they manage the puck by not taking low percentage shots (hence the PDO outrage from lots of people) and they have the skill to bury their HD chances.

Also, nobody forced the Oilers to keep playing Skinner, they have other options. Stop pretending like things aren't fair because the Oilers didn't manage their team better.

2for1PizzaPastuh

Jan 13, 2023
And that is on management for not addressing it. Skinner wasn't great last year, and they ran it back. This is the team they chose, and now they have to live with it. The Oilers don't get some magical mulligan for making stupid choices.

It's also not like he's giving up weak goals, he's just not coming up with the big save at the right time. Silovs has some history of doing that, Skinner does not. Once again, this doesn't excuse the Oilers' choices.

Canucks have beaten the Oilers D, and created high quality chances. They've proven many times, that they don't need to have high shot totals to score, because they manage the puck by not taking low percentage shots (hence the PDO outrage from lots of people) and they have the skill to bury their HD chances.

Also, nobody forced the Oilers to keep playing Skinner, they have other options. Stop pretending like things aren't fair because the Oilers didn't manage their team better.
What's your point? Yes, management is to blame for throwing Skinner out there again. No, the Canucks aren't all of a sudden impressive because they can squeak out one goal games against him.

• Haha
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
What's your point? Yes, management is to blame for throwing Skinner out there again. No, the Canucks aren't all of a sudden impressive because they can squeak out one goal games against him.
The point is that your point is nonsense. "Oilers would be up 3-0 if things were different". You could literally make the same argument for every team. Here's an example:

If Cole would've played better, the Oilers would have scored 4 fewer goals, and the Canucks would be up 3-0.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

2for1PizzaPastuh

Jan 13, 2023
The point is that your point is nonsense. "Oilers would be up 3-0 if things were different". You could literally make the same argument for every team. Here's an example:

If Cole would've played better, the Oilers would have scored 4 fewer goals, and the Canucks would be up 3-0.
Your argument is that ‘if we had better players we’d win’.
Profound.
I get that you're trying to convince yourself that the Canucks are actually a good team, but scraping out one goal games against Stu Skinner doesn't mean what you want it to mean.

Reactions: North Cole

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I get that you're trying to convince yourself that the Canucks are actually a good team, but scraping out one goal games against Stu Skinner doesn't mean what you want it to mean.
Sorry. Not falling for a troll post.
I’ll take the Canucks 6-1 record against the Oilers as proof that they’re a good team.
Be proud your team got a win against a really good team.
Don’t be so bitter.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010

So Skinner being left out to dry is his fault, but the Oilers getting bounces and puck luck is their own doing?

2for1PizzaPastuh

Jan 13, 2023
Sorry. Not falling for a troll post.
I’ll take the Canucks 6-1 record against the Oilers as proof that they’re a good team.
Be proud your team got a win against a really good team.
Don’t be so bitter.
You should remind yourself of the title of this thread. We probably just have different understandings of what a good offense should be capable of. No worries, permission granted to agree to disagree.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
You should remind yourself of the title of this thread. We probably just have different understandings of what a good offense should be capable of. No worries, permission granted to agree to disagree.

So, low save% is result of bad goaltending, and completely unrelated to the offense capabilities of the opposing players?

McDavid and Draisaitl are overpaid, they don't have any offensive talent.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Well that was after the game. If they want to respond, they should win the game tonight. That is what matters.
....But I was actually giving you the perfect lead in that Hyman DID in fact do something, he split the face of Zadorov with a vicious cross check to his face that requires stitches to close up. No one shoved him from behind, so it was a direct shot at the 6'5 defenseman's face. The league conveniently glazed over the incident of course.

May the best team win tonight.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Skinner has been shit but he's also taking the blame for the Oilers defense being extremely pedestrian, its a twofold problem
Yeah, like that Boeser goal in tight, there was no defence or C anywhere near him. Skinner does need to be better but some really inexcusable defensive plays.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Oilers fans were saying at the deadline that Skinner is a top 10 goalie and they don't need to trade for a goalie. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Not 1 oiler fan had ever said that, we all knew we needed a back yo plan in net and in D. Not 1 oiler fan was happy with dealing moves

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad