Tavares Worst Captain Ever

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
His contract wasn't a great decision, but it's not Tavares' fault Toronto's front offense never got a convincing D core (which would include a legit #1D) or goalie. He hasn't done enough in the playoffs, but he could be a playoff monster and the Leafs wouldn't have gotten far with the roster flaws they have. It's easier to blame the captain though
it's easy to blame a guy that does little in the playoffs when he has an 11m cap hit and part of the reason the Leafs never got a ''convincing'' D core is they didn't have the cap space to acquire one due to signing/overpaying Johnny boy

but hey it's never JT's fault he never shows up in the playoffs , it's everyone else that lets him down

He's at war with his hair line.
poor guy ain't gonna win that one

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
I'm not JT fan but this is a weird thread :D btw, who scored the ot winner when Toronto made it to second round, can't remember, Matthews? Marner?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Imagine thinking Matthews is the guy to take the Leafs to the promise land.

Guy mails it in every playoffs
It's hard to understand the Leafs. So much individual talent. They are either GREAT or garbage - their record flatters them because they could have easily lost a couple more games. They are a bunch of cocky unlikable buggars as well - and this is coming from a Leaf fan.

I don't blame J.T. I don't blame any of them. I don't understand them, but I don't blame them.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Not the worst, but just not a great choice.

Tavares is just the evolved form of Monahan and I would never want Monahan to be a captain.

Both have the vocal range of an NPR host.

You'd love for Tavares to go out there and level someone, come up with a few blocks, fight someone, but that's pretty much not his game at all.

You get a really good player, who's great for your community, great teammate, but I'm not sure that monotone voice has the ability to call someone out and if he tries, I'm not sure if someone truly respects it.

You can't have someone tell the team to go out there and block a shot, or throw a hit when he doesn't really do that himself.

Toronto has a bunch of skill. I'd love to see one of those players play for the Habs, but I'm not entirely sure if I see a leader mentality from any of them. They seem to be really good support leaders to step up here and there and get the team going, but none seem to be able to be the leader more often than not.

Honestly, the likely main leader on the team from what I've seen is Rielly.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Tavares is fine. Don't know why Leafs' fans are always crapping on him. As to how good a captain he is, you and I have literally no idea. So, being entrenched in your opinion on that just makes you look foolish.

That being said, there is no doubt that the worst captain ever was Shayne Corson with the Oilers:
shayne-corson-of-the-edmonton-oilers-skates-against-the-toronto-maple-leafs-during-nhl-game.jpg

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The guy isn't just a coach killer but also a GM/Assistant Coach/Soon to be Ex-President/ Killer. Yeah, he puts up points, just like he did with the Islanders, but they're all powerplay points and the team around his leadership always suck. Even with the same players they went from putrid to conference finals mostly by his absence and player responsibility. I honestly believe those around him really aren't impressed by him or just don't believe what he says. He obviously doesn't come across as someone who has your back and you would go to war with you. That said I believe Matthews is that guy. They obviously need to address the gorilla in the room and switch captionship already. Way, Way overdue!!!

He puts up PP points? Trade him back to the islanders 50% retained band he can’t wear number 91 or a letter. Thank you.

Also, Kirk Muller for the isles. Guy didn’t want to be here and especially had no interest in being captain.

Tavares is just a robot.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
He puts up PP points? Trade him back to the islanders 50% retained band he can’t wear number 91 or a letter. Thank you.

Also, Kirk Muller for the isles. Guy didn’t want to be here and especially had no interest in being captain.

Tavares is just a robot.

The robot would likely still lead the Islanders in scoring, and you'd all be kissing his $13m butt.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
14 years in the league and none of his teams have advanced past the 2nd round, at some point its not a coincidence.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Send him on over! We have a great leader so we don’t need him to be captain!

No doubt! Anders Lee would probably have at least double the points right now if Tavares was there to carry him (and Islanders would maybe also reach 2nd in Metro again).

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
No doubt! Anders Lee would probably have at least double the points right now if Tavares was there to carry him (and Islanders would maybe also reach 2nd in Metro again).

Points have nothing to do with leadership. But while we’re at it, Anders Lee has captained a team to 2 consecutive eastern conference finals. How many has Tavares?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I think people give captains way too much credit. If he's a good player he's a good captain, he doesn't have magical powers to get his team to play defense and his goalie to make saves.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Toronto is the one place where a star player will get hate from opposing fans and his own team's fans.

Strange place.

- PPG entire career
- Captain of 2 different teams
- Rookie Leafs (Knies/Minten) treat him as a role model
- Clearly respected by his teammates

Yet considered the worst captain in history because he's not "scary" in the locker room according to people who have never been in the locker room?

Meanwhile OP thinks Matthews who mooned a security guard, and laughs during scrums will be a better replacement using the same argument?

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Points have nothing to do with leadership. But while we’re at it, Anders Lee has captained a team to 2 consecutive eastern conference finals. How many has Tavares?

More like Barry Trotz coached them to 2 straight ECF's, but I digress. I'd miss Tavares too if my team never had PPG players (I'd also really miss Barry Trotz).

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Toronto is the one place where a star player will get hate from opposing fans and his own team's fans.

Strange place.

- PPG entire career
- Captain of 2 different teams
- Rookie Leafs (Knies/Minten) treat him as a role model
- Clearly respected by his teammates

Yet considered the worst captain in history because he's not "scary" in the locker room according to people who have never been in the locker room?

Meanwhile OP thinks Matthews who mooned a security guard, and laughs during scrums will be a better replacement using the same argument?

Tavares was talked about being overrated way before his time in Toronto which only highlighted it even more given how "well" they've done since signing him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad