Team Board Mock Draft

Who will the Senators pick?

• Michael Brandsegg-Nygard, F, Mora IK (SWE)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alfons Freij, D, Vaxjo (SWE)

• Adam Jiricek, D, HC Plzen (Cze)

• Beckett Sennecke, RW, Oshawa (OHL)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
A series of 1 day polls for the forthcoming draft. Picks will be decided by vote.*

*not polling for #1 since we know who it will be and Sharks fans get to vote on their other 1st

Please Only Vote if you are a Sens fan

Links to the individual threads on the player names.

Mother Thread on Prospect Board

1. :sharks Macklin Celebrini, c, Boston University (NCAA)

2. :hawks
Ivan Demidov, RW/C, SKA (KHL)

3. :ducksArtyom Levshunov, D, Michigan State (NCAA)

4. :cbjCayden Lindstrom, C, Medicine Hat (WHL)

5. :habs Tij Iginla, F, Kelowna (WHL)
1715536931391.png
Zeev Buium, D, Denver (NCAA)

7. :sens ?????

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
After some viewing today I have some doubts that Silayev has the puck skills to be more than a #4 D who compliments a more skilled player, but his size and mobility combo has big upside AND a reasonably high floor. If this is what we're left with I think he's the pick.

I think he'll be gone though.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This is definitely not how it will play out in real life but in this scenario it has to be Dickinson or Silayev
In what way do you think it will go differently? We are only at pick 7
Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov, Lindstrom, Buium, Iginla off the board... Montreal is loaded with D.. no Silayev's mind you but I think they go forward

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov, Lindstrom, Buium, Iginla off the board... Montreal is loaded with D.. no Silayev's mind you but I think they go forward
Yes. Wondering the same. Seems a lot of people are surprised by the selections so far but this seems like a rather realistic scenario to me.

Most of the team board votes have been blowouts so far with runaway favorites winning by large majorities.

Demidov got about 85%, Levshunov and Lindstrom about 65% each and Iginla and Buium about 55% each. At over 2x the next highest vote getter.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Yes. Wondering the same. Seems a lot of people are surprised by the selections so far but this seems like a rather realistic scenario to me.

Most of the team board votes have been blowouts so far with runaway favorites winning by large majorities.

Demidov got about 85%, Levshunov and Lindstrom about 65% each and Iginla and Buium about 55% each. At over 2x the next highest vote getter.

NHL teams won't let a Silayev fall out of the top 6 for the same reason that Simashev went top 6 in 2023 with a worse resume.

HF voters will because he doesn't put up big numbers but I'm pretty confident he'll go before the Sens pick at 7.

Potential as a shutdown defender is too tantalizing and unicorns like him generally get drafted higher than expected.

Reactions: DrEasy

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov, Lindstrom, Iginla off the board... Montreal is loaded with D.. no Silayev's mind you but I think they go forward
My 2 cents.

First it starts with Columbus. In their last 3 drafts, they will have used 4 first round picks on centers : Johnson, Sillinger, Fantilli and now Lindstrom? They’ve picked 5 centers total in the first 2 rounds in the last three drafts. I get that centers can be moved to the wing but their D-core is void of any young talent outside Werenski and top prospects Jiricek and Mateychuk. I have a very hard time thinking they would pass on Silayev, Buuim (or Dickinson) for Lindstrom who i think are similarly valued prospects

Montreal fans picked purely based off need rather than BPA, who knows how their management is going to approach it. If Lindstrom is there he is the easy choice for them. I get they have some good LD prospects but i think they are using the argument that they have Guhle, Hutson and Xehkaj on the left already. Only Guhle is the one that is semi-established and what does he project to be in the top end? A #3, perhaps a #2? Hutson is not a sure thing and Xhekaj is a 23yo that can barely keep his role as a 7th D. The kids in this draft are most likely going to take 2-3 years to have any impact, a lot can change for the Habs in that timeframe and bypassing the better prospects for Iginla (who is a good prospect in his own right) would feel very short sighted. As Senscore said in another thread, this feels like Habs fans trying to compensate for passing on Tkachuk :laugh:. If the first 4 picks turn out this way, and if MTL is dead set on not going for a LD early, they very well could trade out here.

I can get behind the Utah pick of Buuim over Silayev, i have them similarly rated. I personally prefer Buuim.

At the end of the day what fans want and what NHL management want/value are often much different. Would be a shock to me to see Silayev drop this far, we all know how much of a hard on every GM has in trying to find the next Chara.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
My 2 cents.

First it starts with Columbus. In their last 3 drafts, they will have used 4 first round picks on centers : Johnson, Sillinger, Fantilli and now Lindstrom? They’ve picked 5 centers total in the first 2 rounds in the last three drafts. I get that centers can be moved to the wing but their D-core is void of any young talent outside Werenski and top prospects Jiricek and Mateychuk. I have a very hard time thinking they would pass on Silayev, Buuim (or Dickinson) for Lindstrom.

Montreal fans picked purely based off need rather than BPA, who knows how their management is going to approach it. If Lindstrom is there he is the easy choice for them. I get they have some good LD prospects but i think they are using the argument that they have Guhle, Hutson and Xehkaj on the left already. Only Guhle is the one that is semi-established and what does he project to be in the top end? A #3, perhaps a #2? Hutson is not a sure thing and Xhekaj is a 23yo that can barely keep his role as a 7th D. The kids in this draft are most likely going to take 2-3 years to have any impact, a lot can change for the Habs in that timeframe and bypassing the better prospects for Iginla (who is a good prospect in his own right) would feel very short sighted. As Senscore said in another thread, this feels like Habs fans trying to compensate for passing on Tkachuk :laugh:. If the first 4 picks turn out this way, and if MTL is dead set on not going for a LD early, they very well could trade out here.

I can get behind the Utah pick of Buuim over Silayev, i have them similarly rated. I personally prefer Buuim.

At the end of the day what fans want and what NHL management want/value are often much different. Would be a shock to me to see Silayev drop this far, we all know how much of a hard on every GM has in trying to find the next Chara.
Silayev definitely could go earlier even as high as 2 but there is a rationale to pick Demidov there as there is for Levshunov at 3.. Columbus taking Lindstrom would not shock me.. they could take Buium there as well. If Lindstrom or Demidov fall to 5 I think they take one of them. The Iginla pick may not happen there , Catton could as well or they could reach a bit for Sennecke or take Helenius but I think they go with a forward. If Buium is gone .. Utah may go Dickinson over another Russian .. He could fall that way too

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
First it starts with Columbus. In their last 3 drafts, they will have used 4 first round picks on centers : Johnson, Sillinger, Fantilli and now Lindstrom? They’ve picked 5 centers total in the first 2 rounds in the last three drafts. I get that centers can be moved to the wing but their D-core is void of any young talent outside Werenski and top prospects Jiricek and Mateychuk. I have a very hard time thinking they would pass on Silayev, Buuim (or Dickinson) for Lindstrom who i think are similarly valued prospects

Johnson doesn't have the size, skating and defensive abilities to be a center, so he's playing LW.

Sillinger is currently playing center but he's always seemed like more of a fit on the wing to me. Sort of playing there by necessity because of weakness at C.

They got decent depth at the position, particularly if they keep Jenner long-term, but I can see the logic in taking a guy who projects as a nice 2C behind Fantilli.

I think they could go either way frankly.

Reactions: SquidNasty

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I'd be very surprised if someone picks Iginla in the top 6.

I'd be very surprised if Silayev falls to us.

I'd be very surprised if our management drafts Silayev.

I'd draft Silayev there, but in the unlikely event things unfold the way this mock has unfolded it's going to be between Dickinson and Parekh. I hope-voted for Parekh.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
After some viewing today I have some doubts that Silayev has the puck skills to be more than a #4 D who compliments a more skilled player, but his size and mobility combo has big upside AND a reasonably high floor. If this is what we're left with I think he's the pick.

I think he'll be gone though.
In what world does a massive D who plays in you top 4 not a slam dunk pick at 7OA. If he’s there you run up and take him.

Yakemchuk with that many votes is wild
Stats and measurements without viewing. He’s a top 15 prospect but not at 7 with the other options.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Johnson doesn't have the size, skating and defensive abilities to be a center, so he's playing LW.

Sillinger is currently playing center but he's always seemed like more of a fit on the wing to me. Sort of playing there by necessity because of weakness at C.

They got decent depth at the position, particularly if they keep Jenner long-term, but I can see the logic in taking a guy who projects as a nice 2C behind Fantilli.

I think they could go either way frankly.
Silayev definitely could go earlier even as high as 2 but there is a rationale to pick Demidov there as there is for Levshunov at 3.. Columbus taking Lindstrom would not shock me.. they could take Buium there as well. If Lindstrom or Demidov fall to 5 I think they take one of them. The Iginla pick may not happen there , Catton could as well or they could reach a bit for Sennecke or take Helenius but I think they go with a forward. If Buium is gone .. Utah may go Dickinson over another Russian .. He could fall that way too
It will be an interesting draft in that aspect. Seems like draft boards are all over the place after Celebrini.

I will gladly eat crow if Silayev makes it to our pick but like i said earlier, would be a big surprise to me.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It will be an interesting draft in that aspect. Seems like draft boards are all over the place after Celebrini.

I will gladly eat crow if Silayev makes it to our pick but like i said earlier, would be a big surprise to me.
I don't think its an eat crow thing. If I had to bet I would bet he's gone as well.. But I'd be happy if he wasn't and there are a couple scenarios where he could be there.. so hoping I guess

Who is @TallyHo ? A Sens fan?

Reactions: TallyHo

rt

May 13, 2004
I think Utah could pass on Silayev because they just took Simashev last draft. Not sure using two 6th overall picks on left-shot defensive D is great asset management. They also already used a 1st on Lamoureux the year before. That’s 3 big defensive D in the 1st round in consecutive years. None seem likely to be PP1 players or even guys you want out in the final minutes when trailing by a goal or two.

They don’t have that player in their system right now. 1st pairing+1st PP. I suspect they’d prefer Buium or Dickinson for that reason.

rt

May 13, 2004
In what world does a massive D who plays in you top 4 not a slam dunk pick at 7OA. If he’s there you run up and take him.

Stats and measurements without viewing. He’s a top 15 prospect but not at 7 with the other options.
I’ve watched the D in this draft pretty carefully. None live. All online.

I watched all of Silayev’s MHL playoffs last year. And a few KHL games this year and a couple MHL playoff games this year.

I’ve seen all of Dickinson and Parekh’s playoff games this year. Probably a dozen and a half Saginaw regular season games and a dozen London regular season games this year. I watched probably a dozen and a half Calgary regular season games this year. Yakemchuk didn’t make the playoffs sadly.

Saw all of Buium’s WJC games and his NCAA tournament games and maybe 3-4 regular season games. Levshunov only 3-4 regular season games, and his tournament games.

I like Buium and Dickinson the most. I’ve got Levshunov and Yakemchuk in my next tier. Them Parekh and Silayev in a 3rd tier.

Having said all of that, watching a bunch of games is fine and all but it doesn’t mean my opinion is worth much. Haha. I’m not a scout! :)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yakemchuk with that many votes is wild
I think it's the desire to get a RHD even if that RHD won't be around for three seasons,

I figure at 7 you can't worry about positional needs since your needs may be completely different by the time the guy is ready to fill the role he projects for.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I’ve watched the D in this draft pretty carefully. None live. All online.

I watched all of Silayev’s MHL playoffs last year. And a few KHL games this year and a couple MHL playoff games this year.

I’ve seen all of Dickinson and Parekh’s playoff games this year. Probably a dozen and a half Saginaw regular season games and a dozen London regular season games this year. I watched probably a dozen and a half Calgary regular season games this year. Yakemchuk didn’t make the playoffs sadly.

Saw all of Buium’s WJC games and his NCAA tournament games and maybe 3-4 regular season games. Levshunov only 3-4 regular season games, and his tournament games.

I like Buium and Dickinson the most. I’ve got Levshunov and Yakemchuk in my next tier. Them Parekh and Silayev in a 3rd tier.

Having said all of that, watching a bunch of games is fine and all but it doesn’t mean my opinion is worth much. Haha. I’m not a scout! :)
Let me preface .. I think its almost a pick your poison kind of thing with these guys .. All have something of value and how much you value their strengths or their weaknesses is how we tend to look at them.

I never put them in tiers before but this is how I like them.

I think for me
Tier 1 would be
Silayev
Buium
Dickinson

Tier 2
Levshunov
Parekh

Tier 3
Yakemchuk

So definitely higher on Silayev and lower than you on Yakemchuk.

I think it's the desire to get a RHD even if that RHD won't be around for three seasons,

I figure at 7 you can't worry about positional needs since your needs may be completely different by the time the guy is ready to fill the role he projects for.
lol or in 3 seasons

Reactions: Senscore

rt

May 13, 2004
Let me preface .. I think its almost a pick your poison kind of thing with these guys .. All have something of value and how much you value their strengths or their weaknesses is how we tend to look at them.

I never put them in tiers before but this is how I like them.

I think for me
Tier 1 would be
Silayev
Buium
Dickinson

Tier 2
Levshunov
Parekh

Tier 3
Yakemchuk

So definitely higher on Silayev and lower than you on Yakemchuk.
It’s an interesting debate and personal preference plays a big part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad