Team Board Mock Draft

Who will the Senators pick?

• Michael Brandsegg-Nygard, F, Mora IK (SWE)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alfons Freij, D, Vaxjo (SWE)

• Adam Jiricek, D, HC Plzen (Cze)

• Beckett Sennecke, RW, Oshawa (OHL)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think it's the desire to get a RHD even if that RHD won't be around for three seasons,

I figure at 7 you can't worry about positional needs since your needs may be completely different by the time the guy is ready to fill the role he projects for.
1. Yakemchuk missed the last draft by a couple of days which makes him older than a lot of the kids in this draft which could mean he is also closer to being NHL ready, we'll see. He also played for an offensively challenged Calgary Hitmen team & he managed to be second in scoring. Having a better team, teammates & partner helps a player be more productive & hide some flaws.

2. Ottawa has a young team & prospects seem to be getting NHL jobs much sooner than in the past. When we look at Ottawa's right side there is Zub, JBD & Hamonic & unless they sign a UFA RD it doesn't seem that hard to surpass the guy's on the right side & Hamonic will be gone this yr or next. I'm not sure that Ott has another RD in their org that might be better long term like Guennette or Matinpalo either than what Yachemchuk could be & I would wager Yakemchuk is already tougher than both. If they get a RD during free agency how long he signs for will be interesting.

3. Who is the BPA at 7th OA? You could get a dozen different answers to that question on here & you could get numerous different opinions from NHL scouts as well based on what they like in a player. Bouchard went 10th in the 2018 draft & Dobson went 12th, I imagine they would go a lot sooner in a redraft but we would take either right now. Right shot D are very valuable in the NHL, especially big guys who can skate & bring some offence & have a mean streak, Yakemchuk had 120 minutes in penalties, that will have to be reined in a little, but he isn't afraid to drop them either.

4. Yakemchuk RD had as many pts as Dickinson LD, who knows how offensively gifted Silayev is or is not. Parekh seems to be offensively gifted, but we already have Sanderson who is not going anywhere in the next 8 yrs, Chabot who has 4 more yrs, Chychrun could be gone this summer & Brannstrom whether they keep him or not is a PMD too. Parekh is more of the same & IMO I think they want something different that we don't have, that we need & Yakemchuk could be closer to being NHL ready than people think. Who knows with 18 yr old kids.

5. It will also be interesting whether these are Steve Staois picks or the scouting staff put together by the old regime. Will these scouts still be here after the draft or will Staois start to build his own scouting department? Should also be interesting to watch.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
1. Yakemchuk missed the last draft by a couple of days which makes him older than a lot of the kids in this draft which could mean he is also closer to being NHL ready, we'll see. He also played for an offensively challenged Calgary Hitmen team & he managed to be second in scoring. Having a better team, teammates & partner helps a player be more productive & hide some flaws.

2. Ottawa has a young team & prospects seem to be getting NHL jobs much sooner than in the past. When we look at Ottawa's right side there is Zub, JBD & Hamonic & unless they sign a UFA RD it doesn't seem that hard to surpass the guy's on the right side & Hamonic will be gone this yr or next. I'm not sure that Ott has another RD in their org that might be better long term like Guennette or Matinpalo either than what Yachemchuk could be & I would wager Yakemchuk is already tougher than both. If they get a RD during free agency how long he signs for will be interesting.

3. Who is the BPA at 7th OA? You could get a dozen different answers to that question on here & you could get numerous different opinions from NHL scouts as well based on what they like in a player. Bouchard went 10th in the 2018 draft & Dobson went 12th, I imagine they would go a lot sooner in a redraft but we would take either right now. Right shot D are very valuable in the NHL, especially big guys who can skate & bring some offence & have a mean streak, Yakemchuk had 120 minutes in penalties, that will have to be reined in a little, but he isn't afraid to drop them either.

4. Yakemchuk RD had as many pts as Dickinson LD, who knows how offensively gifted Silayev is or is not. Parekh seems to be offensively gifted, but we already have Sanderson who is not going anywhere in the next 8 yrs, Chabot who has 4 more yrs, Chychrun could be gone this summer & Brannstrom whether they keep him or not is a PMD too. Parekh is more of the same & IMO I think they want something different that we don't have, that we need & Yakemchuk could be closer to being NHL ready than people think. Who knows with 18 yr old kids.

5. It will also be interesting whether these are Steve Staois picks or the scouting staff put together by the old regime. Will these scouts still be here after the draft or will Staois start to build his own scouting department? Should also be interesting to watch.

Dickinson is still 17..Turns 18 in June... Dickinson being just over 9 months younger means a lot.. Its a full hockey season . Dickinson is more of a 2 way D with more emphasis on defense ... His skating blows Yakemchuk's away by a mile. He is the best skater among the D at the top of the draft.
You don't pay a premium to draft the older guy.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Dickinson is still 17..Turns 18 in June... Dickinson being just over 9 months younger means a lot.. Its a full hockey season . Dickinson is more of a 2 way D with more emphasis on defense ... His skating blows Yakemchuk's away by a mile. He is the best skater among the D at the top of the draft.
You don't pay a premium to draft the older guy.
My issue with Dickinson is he seems to lose his intensity but professional scouts love him so what do I know. I have really only dug into the non-OHL guys recently so I’m certainly no expert. The only guy I’m sure I don’t want at #7 is Iginla.

Reactions: Duncstar and DrEasy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
My issue with Dickinson is he seems to lose his intensity but professional scouts love him so what do I know. I have really only dug into the non-OHL guys recently so I’m certainly no expert. The only guy I’m sure I don’t want at #7 is Iginla.
I think he projects really well with his size and his tools .. when he is on he looks great. He had a good year and will have a huge role there next year.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

He isn't that physical, which is disappointing given he's 6'3, but I don't think his intensity is all that bad.

I'm typically more concerned about attentiveness and laziness in the defensive zone, and he actually takes pride in playing good defense.

My issue with him is his puck management. Seen him make some terrible turnovers that smart hockey players just wouldn't do.

His hockey IQ is a question mark and combined with only average hands/puck skill I don't know if he has the upside to be anything more than a Nurse/Skjei-type 2nd pairing D.

Will score some goals because his shot is very hard but I doubt he'll ever run a top PP in the NHL, which makes his OHL numbers slightly misleading as far as his offensive upside is concerned.

Reactions: Duncstar and DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

So, having just missed last year's draft may mean he's physically closer, but my understanding is his all round game is further away than any of the other D, but generally speaking, I consider being one of the oldest kids in the draft a detriment rather than a positive, for me he needs to be clearly better than a kid born in 2006 like Dickenson or Silayev.

As for Ottawa introducing kids sooner, I don't expect that to continue with Staios at the helm, I think it's a big reason why we're so inconsistent,

In terms of who is BPA, I tend to agree there are a lot of viable options which is why Yakemchuk, and Parekh for that matter, are seeing a bit of a boost from being RHD, Dickenson tends to be ahead of both on most public lists but trails here.

You mention Yakemchuk scored as much as Dickenson but Dickenson is about 9 months younger and by most accounts much better defensively. I honestly don't see Yakemchuk as very different, more physical I suppose.

I can't see Staios overriding the scouts. He's likely to tell them what kind of team he wants to build but Staios isn't a scout so I figure he'll trust his guys. I could see Bowness weighing in though.

Reactions: Cosmix

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
In what world does a massive D who plays in you top 4 not a slam dunk pick at 7OA. If he’s there you run up and take him.

Stats and measurements without viewing. He’s a top 15 prospect but not at 7 with the other options.

There ARE other good players still available buddy

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
A bit OT, but does this vote mean we're not worried about the Russian factor? Kid might not show up for several years, for all we know.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
A bit OT, but does this vote mean we're not worried about the Russian factor? Kid might not show up for several years, for all we know.
Chris Peters has a recent youtube talking about Demidov ... he doesn't think the Russian Factor is too big a thing.

I didn't realize but the Russians are not invited to the Combine.. he talks about an Agent repping Demidov and others bringing players over for interviews and testing .. outside the combine,

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Dickinson and the Knights going to 2OT vs Oshawa in game 3 of that series.. Tune in its on TSN ..Meth is doing colour.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Non voting fan from another team here!

I'm trying to understand the Senators better and currently the Sens D are Sanderson, Chabot, and Chychrun. to me that looks quite a deep Left side while the Right side other then Zub looks a little weak.

Is the current lean towards Sileyev because

A. Chychrun isn't part of the long term plan

B. Chychrun is good at both LD and RD

C. Sileyev is BPA and organizational depth doesn't mater

D. ????

Happy Voting!

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

I'm trying to understand the Senators better and currently the Sens D are Sanderson, Chabot, and Chychrun. to me that looks quite a deep Left side while the Right side other then Zub looks a little weak.

D. ????

Happy Voting!

Mostly A and C I'd say. Chychrun is a good player, just with the way things are arranged, taking contracts into account, it might be better to move him and focus on improving in other areas. The team certainly isn't going to let him walk in a year.

As for Silayev he has such a unique toolbox it's hard not to be intrigued by his potential.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

D. ????

Happy Voting!
A and C.
A. Chychrun is a goner
C. Silayev is BPA. Appeal to BMac's final 15 list. Org depth vs immediate need vs 18 year old D men prospects ; Immediate need will not be solved by this draft and will have to be solved well before the D in this draft are ready for a significant role. Don't Draft for immediate need.. it will change.

B. is totally False.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008

D. ????

Happy Voting!
Chychrun is pretty much a lock to be traded this summer, and I don't think it would come as much of a surprise to anybody if Thomas Chabot were moved at some point in the next 12-18 months as well.

Beyond that, I think Silayev has a chance to be a unique talent.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Chris Peters has a recent youtube talking about Demidov ... he doesn't think the Russian Factor is too big a thing.

I didn't realize but the Russians are not invited to the Combine.. he talks about an Agent repping Demidov and others bringing players over for interviews and testing .. outside the combine,
Isn't testing outside the combine what got Arz in trouble....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad