Speculation: Team most likely to rebuild

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Which team is most likely, not necessarily the most in need of a rebuild, but the most likely to start trading away their current core/veterans in exchange for picks and prospects?

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Kind of confusing the way you worded it.

So which team is most likely to rebuild, but doesn't need to?
Well more of “who’s in need of it, and will actually go through with it”

A team like Calgary probably needs to, but probably won’t actually “bite the bullet” and do it.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Should be Calgary, but i think they might try to be competitive.
They traded 6 UFAs in the past year. They will likely move on from Markstrom this summer. They have Mangiapane, Kuzmenko and Sharangovich as pending UFAs.

They have young players in Zary, Coronato, Wolf, Pelletier, Pospisil, and Solovyov playing big roles this year and next. They have Honzek, Poirier, Strömgren, Kuznetsov, Brustewicz, Morin a year or two away. Plus 5 firsts in the next 3 drafts.

That’s not a rebuild? Interesting

Bond

May 10, 2012
They traded 6 UFAs in the past year. They will likely move on from Markstrom this summer. They have Mangiapane, Kuzmenko and Sharangovich as pending UFAs.

They have young players in Zary, Coronato, Wolf, Pelletier, Zary, and Solovyov playing big roles this year and next. They have Honzek, Poirier, Strömgren, Kuznetsov, Brustewicz, Morin a year or two away. Plus 5 firsts in the next 3 drafts etc.

If the Flames trade Markstrom then they are definitely rebuilding while calling it a retool. I’m still a little worried they will do dumb stuff in the UFA market but so far so good

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010

They have young players in Zary, Coronato, Wolf, Pelletier, Pospisil, and Solovyov playing big roles this year and next. They have Honzek, Poirier, Strömgren, Kuznetsov, Brustewicz, Morin a year or two away. Plus 5 firsts in the next 3 drafts.

As a Sabres fan I’d be interested in Coleman if he’s available

Reactions: viper0220

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
Should be LA.
They need to get on the plan with SJ and ANA.
Get what you could for Kopitar, PLD and Doughty and start fresh around Byfield
Unfortunately, Blake has painted this team into a corner with over priced and some under performing contracts. The only players that would be marketable are the younger inexpensive players and that doesn’t help this team at all. With ultimate UFA losses this off season, the team is going to need those players. The Kings are stuck where they are for the next few years.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I'd keep Doughty and Kopitar, you do need vets and leadership in a rebuild.
You keep Fiala and Kempe as vets not guys who deserve to play on contenders instead of pouting on a rebuilding team.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Unfortunately, Blake has painted this team into a corner with over priced and some under performing contracts. The only players that would be marketable are the younger inexpensive players and that doesn’t help this team at all. With ultimate UFA losses this off season, the team is going to need those players. The Kings are stuck where they are for the next few years.
LA can load back up in 3/4 yrs . I am sure CHI,SJ,ANA etc plan on doing just that.

It's a lot easier for Cali teams to attract pending UFAs than many other places. Fix you core going goalie outwards and aim for Pacific title in 3/4 yrs.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Should be Calgary, but i think they might try to be competitive.

I think that currently, Calgary should try to compete.

They are tied by way too many bad contracts to be able to really blow it up IMO

Might as well try to win and sell high one of those bad contracts

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
LA can load back up in 3/4 yrs . I am sure CHI,SJ,ANA etc plan on doing just that.

It's a lot easier for Cali teams to attract pending UFAs than many other places. Fix you core going goalie outwards and aim for Pacific title in 3/4 yrs.
And that’s it. The team is going to have to deal with it for the next few years and hope that we don’t have to deal with Rob Blake’s doppelgänger after that point.

Reactions: spiller19

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Montréal should get on the phone with L.A. and NYI

We have a bunch of picks, and are looking to get out of the rebuild

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Kopitar and Doughty said in their exit interview that they have zero interest in a rebuild
No one ever does, though. In particular the players whose contracts are the most problematic for a rebuild.

Reactions: DaveG

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
If the Flames trade Markstrom then they are definitely rebuilding while calling it a retool. I’m still a little worried they will do dumb stuff in the UFA market but so far so good
Conroy's already said the Flames won't be active in free agency. Might sign some vets to short term deals, but that's it.

Flames traded away all their UFA's for primarily futures. It's a rebuild but for PR reasons, they'll call it anything else.

Kielbasa

Mar 28, 2023
I think that currently, Calgary should try to compete.

They are tied by way too many bad contracts to be able to really blow it up IMO

Might as well try to win and sell high one of those bad contracts

Can't climb out of the hole we've dug for ourselves, so let's dig it deeper!

No one is going to take Huberdeau, he is the only really terrible contract, and no one is going to touch that regardless of a having a good season.

Reactions: LynnLoins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad