OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread: Part III

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Reviews are amazing!

Congrats to FF7: Rebirth on the game of the year!

Can't wait to start this!

Thinking about holding off till after the hockey season, I had interest in replaying FF7 remake again , and then going into this one. Feel I need to refresh myself and get hyped heading into part 2.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Thinking about holding off till after the hockey season, I had interest in replaying FF7 remake again , and then going into this one. Feel I need to refresh myself and get hyped heading into part 2.
Not even sure how i'm going to finish this.

I'm horrible with video games now and get bored after 10-15 hours at best. I made it through FF7: Remake, but it was a struggle, and this game is more than 2x as long :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not even sure how i'm going to finish this.

I'm horrible with video games now and get bored after 10-15 hours at best. I made it through FF7: Remake, but it was a struggle, and this game is more than 2x as long :laugh:

Last summer I played Zelda Totk and FF 16, it was about 150 hours of game play between both games, lol. I have a list of games I want to play like Super Mario RPG remake but that will not take a lot of time. I'm currently playing Metroid Prime remastered, also doesn't take a lot of time.

Plus, I have more time in the summer to play these games.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't go out seeking spoilers but if you played the OG I can't imagine that theres much of anything that one could come across that would genuinely surprise you out side of the ending which I'm sure is going to be as confusing as the one for the last game (theory crafters are going to cream their pants though.)

The big event that happens in this iteration of the story is still going to happen no matter how hard some people have tried to convince themselves that its not going to happen. They aren't changing that as it was basically the catalyst for 70% of the story.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
The big event that happens in this iteration of the story is still going to happen no matter how hard some people have tried to convince themselves that its not going to happen. They aren't changing that as it was basically the catalyst for 70% of the story.
So many fanboys were hoping to delete that trauma from their childhood

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
I have never played Final Fantasy but would like to start. The extent of my ‘open world’ RPG experience is basically the GTA franchise. Before that I go allllll the way back to the original NES/Famicom ‘Legend of Zelda’ and then ‘Sword of Vermillion’ and ‘Phantasy Star’ for the Genesis (up for debate if you want to include ‘Time Bandit’ for the 1040ST). Generally a big FPS guy. ’Quake’ and ‘Doom’, as simple as they are, amuse me. The bloodier, noisier and violent the better.

The FF numbering confuses me. We’re talking about FF 7 Rebirth….but how if at all does this relate to FF XVI? I have a PS 5 and don’t know which to buy….

Also….do FF 1-6 and 8-15 exist?

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I have never played Final Fantasy but would like to start. The extent of my ‘open world’ RPG experience is basically the GTA franchise. Before that I go allllll the way back to the original NES/Famicom ‘Legend of Zelda’ and then ‘Sword of Vermillion’ and ‘Phantasy Star’ for the Genesis (up for debate if you want to include ‘Time Bandit’ for the 1040ST). Generally a big FPS guy. ’Quake’ and ‘Doom’, as simple as they are, amuse me. The bloodier, noisier and violent the better.

The FF numbering confuses me. We’re talking about FF 7 Rebirth….but how if at all does this relate to FF XVI? I have a PS 5 and don’t know which to buy….

Also….do FF 1-6 and 8-15 exist?
Each FF game is standalone for the most part (unless it's a sequel and will then include the same number. FFX-2 for example). FF 1-6 do exist and some will swear to their greatness (6 specifically) though I started in PS1 era (7-9). 11 and 14 are MMORPGS but very much beloved by their userbase.

There are similarities between the games throughout the series but each has it's own unique battle system, world, characters, plot etc. So 7 has really nothing to do with 16 at all except for a few things such as the same summons that often appear from FF to FF, certain magics might as well, and usually Chocobos are in the game in some form (a fluffy horse sized bird you can ride). Certain names (Cid) will also be used in numerous games though the characters have nothing to do wtih each other and are often extremely different personality types from game to game. Cid in FF8 (my personal favorite due to the love story and humor found throughout the game) for example was a nerdy school headmaster and in 16 Cid was a smooth talking handsome OP rebel leader.

FF7 was probably the game that propelled the series to the forefront of gaming and helped redefine the JRPG genre, so Sqare-Enix is remaking it, but also changing it up a bit. They've split the original FF7 to 3 games in the remake, the first named Remake, second named Rebirth (coming out soon), and the last will have some sort of 'Re' in it as well. It has a more action oriented battle system compared to the old one being completely turnbased, they're also messing a bit with the plot and adding backstory to characters, but keeping the essence of the game mostly intact.

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
Each FF game is standalone for the most part (unless it's a sequel and will then include the same number. FFX-2 for example). FF 1-6 do exist and some will swear to their greatness (6 specifically) though I started in PS1 era (7-9). 11 and 14 are MMORPGS but very much beloved by their userbase.

There are similarities between the games throughout the series but each has it's own unique battle system, world, characters, plot etc. So 7 has really nothing to do with 16 at all except for a few things such as the same summons that often appear from FF to FF, certain magics might as well, and usually Chocobos are in the game in some form (a fluffy horse sized bird you can ride). Certain names (Cid) will also be used in numerous games though the characters have nothing to do wtih each other and are often extremely different personality types from game to game. Cid in FF8 (my personal favorite due to the love story and humor found throughout the game) for example was a nerdy school headmaster and in 16 Cid was a smooth talking handsome OP rebel leader.

FF7 was probably the game that propelled the series to the forefront of gaming and helped redefine the JRPG genre, so Sqare-Enix is remaking it, but also changing it up a bit. They've split the original FF7 to 3 games in the remake, the first named Remake, second named Rebirth (coming out soon), and the last will have some sort of 'Re' in it as well. It has a more action oriented battle system compared to the old one being completely turnbased, they're also messing a bit with the plot and adding backstory to characters, but keeping the essence of the game mostly intact.
Thank you.

I imagine that 1-VI are available on PC only at this point.

(Edit-I found this guide online:
Final Fantasy 1 walkthrough: where to go, dungeon maps - FF1 step-by-step guide | RPG Site, Looks like old school Zelda, which is about right for 1987)

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Thank you.

I imagine that 1-VI are available on PC only at this point.

(Edit-I found this guide online:
Final Fantasy 1 walkthrough: where to go, dungeon maps - FF1 step-by-step guide | RPG Site, Looks like old school Zelda, which is about right for 1987)
So the numbering of the FF series is f***ed between 2-6 - Not all of the original main line games were released in the US. US FF2 is Japan's FF4, and US FF3 is Japan's FF6. FF5 wasn't released until around the early 2000s on PS1, but you can find everything on Steam at this point. There's all sorts of remasters/remakes/reimagines, the Pixel Remasters are the most recent I think and those looked pretty well done.

You can find pretty much everything on Steam now. There's a lot of remakes/remasters/whatever of older titles, the Pixel Remasters are pretty new and I heard good things about them.

There's no real shared anything across the games aside from some themes and characters and they all stand alone in terms of you not needing to start with a particular entry. If you're keen to start one, check out screenshots and pick the aesthetic you like the most. The older games (1-13, excluding 11) have turn-based combat (each character has to wait for the active turn bar to fill up before they can perform an action, same with enemies). The newer ones (15, 16+) have more involved Dark Souls-ish combat while still using menuing for magic/summons/items.

Reactions: CTTribe73 and romba

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
FF7 Rebirth makes me nervous. One of the things that turned me off to videogames for basically the whole PS4 generation was the increasing proliferation of massive open world games. The scope is too intimidating for me and I find myself not being able to enjoy myself when I know there are 9000 things to be done at any given time. I got over it somewhat and learned to really enjoy the Horizon series, but it's also why I avoided things like Elden Ring and BG3 even though they're a style of game I'd otherwise enjoy. FOMO is a major thing for me in a videogame, especially because I'm someone who ideally wants to be able to 100% a game on one, maybe two playthroughs. I don't want to spend 300 hours getting a platinum.

FF7 Rebirth sounds f***ing massive and like there are way too many things to do. I platinumed Remake and enjoyed that, but that game is obviously very linear. I'm not sure I can do Rebirth, even though I have it purchased.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
FF7 Rebirth makes me nervous. One of the things that turned me off to videogames for basically the whole PS4 generation was the increasing proliferation of massive open world games. The scope is too intimidating for me and I find myself not being able to enjoy myself when I know there are 9000 things to be done at any given time. I got over it somewhat and learned to really enjoy the Horizon series, but it's also why I avoided things like Elden Ring and BG3 even though they're a style of game I'd otherwise enjoy. FOMO is a major thing for me in a videogame, especially because I'm someone who ideally wants to be able to 100% a game on one, maybe two playthroughs. I don't want to spend 300 hours getting a platinum.

FF7 Rebirth sounds f***ing massive and like there are way too many things to do. I platinumed Remake and enjoyed that, but that game is obviously very linear. I'm not sure I can do Rebirth, even though I have it purchased.

Its not Elden Ring sized and thats a good thing. I enjoyed ER, but the amount of time I spent getting from point A to B in that game was ridiculous.

From what I gather, this is going to be more like Horizon in design so if you were able to handle that, you'll be fine.

I also don't think its possible to 100% this in a single play through. There are going to be things that require a second time through the game to get ala FF7 Remake.

Reactions: nyr2k2

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY

Agreed 100%. I absolutely hate how EVERY single game that comes out now HAS to be "a sprawling, massive, open-world experience with hundreds of hours of exploration." What they leave out a lot of the time is that its hundreds of hours of empty exploration across completely barren landscapes. Next to no landmarks, no points of interest, little to no terrain variation, and just expanses of nothingness. No reason to stop and go "Wait what was that?" But hey, they pumped $750,000 into R&D to model the grass to ensure that it moves and sways like real grass.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Its not Elden Ring sized and thats a good thing. I enjoyed ER, but the amount of time I spent getting from point A to B in that game was ridiculous.

From what I gather, this is going to be more like Horizon in design so if you were able to handle that, you'll be fine.

I also don't think its possible to 100% this in a single play through. There are going to be things that require a second time through the game to get ala FF7 Remake.
I beat HFW 3 times and was cool with that. The first time I did a 100% play on normal difficulty, then I mainlined it on Hard to get the final trophies. Then I did another playthrough on story just to have fun and clear every inch of map, even glitching to get back to places you shouldn't to clear all the fog.

All of this took somewhere around 150 hours? From what I've heard about Rebirth I'm not sure I can do two full playthroughs in 150 hours. Kotaku in their review said mini games could rival Mario Party and you could take all of them and turn it into a standalone game. That's too much for me. I already hated the piano shit in the demo.

I'm sure it will be fine, I just get an intense sense of anxiety when I'm dropped into a massive world knowing that the first several hours will have me like .5% through the game. I only play like 2-8 hours per week depending on a variety of things, so games that require a couple hundred hours to truly complete, it's usually just too much for me.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I beat HFW 3 times and was cool with that. The first time I did a 100% play on normal difficulty, then I mainlined it on Hard to get the final trophies. Then I did another playthrough on story just to have fun and clear every inch of map, even glitching to get back to places you shouldn't to clear all the fog.

All of this took somewhere around 150 hours? From what I've heard about Rebirth I'm not sure I can do two full playthroughs in 150 hours. Kotaku in their review said mini games could rival Mario Party and you could take all of them and turn it into a standalone game. That's too much for me. I already hated the piano shit in the demo.

I'm sure it will be fine, I just get an intense sense of anxiety when I'm dropped into a massive world knowing that the first several hours will have me like .5% through the game. I only play like 2-8 hours per week depending on a variety of things, so games that require a couple hundred hours to truly complete, it's usually just too much for me.
If you skip all the side content it's about a 30-40 hour game.

I can't play a 100 hour game. I don't know how i'm going to get through this since I at least want to do some side stuff, and the card game seems really good, but i'll try.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

I can't play a 100 hour game. I don't know how i'm going to get through this since I at least want to do some side stuff, and the card game seems really good, but i'll try.
Yeah that's what I've read. My thing is, as a completionist from back in the SNES days, I have to do absolutely everything even if it's a chore. Having to do it over multiple playthroughs make it so much worse.

I'm dreading the card games. I don't like those types of side activities. I like the mindless stuff. Sea of Stars was an awesome game I was loving, reminded me sort of like Secret of Mana or Chrono Trigger. As soon as I encountered their version of a card game, I didn't immediately get it the first three times, and I literally uninstalled the game. :laugh:

I like my RPGs old school: mostly linear, grindy, straightforward side quests, and generally mindless. Like getting lit up with my buddies and playing old RPGs as a teen, that's still what "being a gamer" is to me. Modern stuff is far too complex. I know I sound like an old curmudgeon but it is what it is.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Way too soon to drop the embargo. Spoilers already leaking.
for real. How they gonna drop reviews a week before launch? The 2 demos is already pushing it lol.

Gonna be a looong. 5 days.

well the good thing is theres no deadline. I like games that are 100 hours long. Took me like 8 months to finally finish Elden Ring (took a break for a few months), but in RPGs i like to take my time. FFXVI took me almost 80 hours and i didn't even do everything. Remake took me 50 hours.

The longer the better.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Pennsyltucky
I am so gutted over FF7 remake, I should have never watched gameplay. The game looks and sounds incredible and they added a new card game which is amazing but I will never get to enjoy the game because of the battle system. I am seething and malding, fardding and shidding. How could they have done this to me?

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I am so gutted over FF7 remake, I should have never watched gameplay. The game looks and sounds incredible and they added a new card game which is amazing but I will never get to enjoy the game because of the battle system. I am seething and malding, fardding and shidding. How could they have done this to me?
What's wrong with the battle system?!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad