OT: The Avalounge: Steamed Hams, despite the fact they are obviously grilled

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Hey guys, I’m considering building a gaming computer, but really don’t know the first thing about building a computer. I know having a good graphics card is key and I think I’m leaning towards AMD over intel, but really don’t know enough yet to make a definitive decision. Does anyone have tips, tricks, guides or other that can help me? Thanks guys!

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Hey guys, I’m considering building a gaming computer, but really don’t know the first thing about building a computer. I know having a good graphics card is key and I think I’m leaning towards AMD over intel, but really don’t know enough yet to make a definitive decision. Does anyone have tips, tricks, guides or other that can help me? Thanks guys!
how much is your budget? are you looking for something high-end, mid-range or budget?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I am starting to feel the effects of Stockholm syndrome and lack of motivation. I'm either at hospitals or staying home and playing games which is killing any sort of motivational bubbles in me.
Youtube might be your best answer, but it also depends on what type of games you want to play. Like if you're going to play games such as Civ VI, EHM, WOW, or RTS games you don't need the highest quality stuff. If you want to play like GTA V online, you'll need more of everything. I am going to quote @Lonewolfe2015 as he's my go-to mate for tech stuff. Also, a lot of major retailer companies have customisation options on their websites' and some companies like MSi have pre-built gaming laptops and desktops.

My friend is a photographer and he told me of a company located somewhere in Ohio which professionally build computers. He went all out - due to his profession - and spent like 6 grand, but you don't need that because he requires all the top of the line graphic cards. Personally spending that much on anything computer-based is stupid and he even knows it. Technology, especially in the computer realm is evolving so fast that his desktop will be considered junk three years from now.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Strange timing because I'm putting together a gaming rig for myself in a few months. I recommend checking out pcpartpicker.com to see the builds other people have made, as well as to list your components and put together your own build to see how it would turn out.

As you said, having a good GPU is key. I've given myself a $2000 budget and I'm going with a RTX 2080 Super for my GPU, which is pricey, but it's not necessary if you're on a stricter budget. There are cards like the 2070 Super that are also incredibly good for a cheaper price, as well as the 2060 Super. I've never had an AMD GPU, so I'm not sure how they perform, but Nvidia has been at the top of the GPU game for a while and I'm personally more comfortable buying one of their cards than any competitor's card.

Something to keep in mind, though, is that the better the GPU you buy, the better the other components you need to get, as well. You'll need a CPU that won't bottleneck the performance of the GPU, as well as a motherboard that won't limit the output of both your CPU and your GPU. And, if you do get a high-end GPU, you'll need to get a good monitor (or monitors) so the GPU can fulfill its purpose.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
A website that is a must read in my opinion for someone building their own computer for the first time (or for the first time in quite a while) is www.pcpartpicker.com.

This website allows you to select components and will flag any incompatibilities for you. They even have quite a few suggested builds as well as many hundreds of users who have uploaded their complete builds (including pictures) with a list of the components. The website also links prices from various online retailers (Amazon, Newegg, Best Buy, B&H, etc) so you can find deals. You can save a template and share it via a link with others so they can take a look and make suggestions.

I'm in the process of building a new one myself. Here's the link to what I'm using, just keep in mind that I'm paying an absolute premium because I am building in such a tiny little case. The Dan Case is a mere 7.2 L. System Builder.

At this time, my opinion is that the CPU needs to be AMD. The price to performance is just too good to pass up. Yeah, yeah, Intel still wins on a single core speed but more and more games are using multiple cores which is where the AMD lineup excels. Also, if you do any other work or care to stream the utilization of the multiple cores that AMD has is impressive.

As for the GPU...define your budget for the PC and buy the highest one you can afford. There isn't a lot of difference between the various manufacturers on each model (RTX 2070, RTX 2070S, RTX 2080, RTX 2080S, etc) so I tend to stick with manufacturers I know or whom I read really good reviews on. I typically stick with MSI or EVGA but that's just me. I'm currently using an RTX 2080 Super from EVGA.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I am going to quote @Lonewolfe2015 as he's my go-to mate for tech stuff

Love you too Seph.

I stopped building computers tbh, cost wasn't worth it. Laptops are already good enough. You can game on a Surface book and a built cpu equivalent would be maybe $500 cheaper without the mobility.

That being said, still partial to Intel due to compatibility. AMD is really good these days tho especially with heat and power management.

Recommend a fractal case, seasonic power, Noctua fans and don't skimp on the ram. You can get 1% back from bing rewards on Newegg. The rest is kinda up to you, but those are really well respected brands for each area.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
You guys are amazing, thank you so much for the help! I’m sure I’ll come back with more questions and would love to see some builds any of you have done.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Love you too Seph.

I stopped building computers tbh, cost wasn't worth it. Laptops are already good enough. You can game on a Surface book and a built cpu equivalent would be maybe $500 cheaper without the mobility.

That being said, still partial to Intel due to compatibility. AMD is really good these days tho especially with heat and power management.

Recommend a fractal case, seasonic power, Noctua fans and don't skimp on the ram. You can get 1% back from bing rewards on Newegg. The rest is kinda up to you, but those are really well respected brands for each area.

so you don’t think it’s worth building my own computer and just going with a factory gaming laptop should be good enough? If the savings are minimal then maybe that’s the route I should go.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
so you don’t think it’s worth building my own computer and just going with a factory gaming laptop should be good enough? If the savings are minimal then maybe that’s the route I should go.

You do you. Don't wanna discourage anyone from the experience. It's fun getting everything to work.

But I don't use either my desktop or my server I built. I use my laptop and my Xbox tho.

I hate those bulky gaming laptops with tornado fans. Razer or a Surface would be where I'd go if I bought one. Get the best gpu possible and a laptop cooling fan when you're actually gaming at a desk.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
You do you. Don't wanna discourage anyone from the experience. It's fun getting everything to work.

But I don't use either my desktop or my server I built. I use my laptop and my Xbox tho.

I hate those bulky gaming laptops with tornado fans. Razer or a Surface would be where I'd go if I bought one. Get the best gpu possible and a laptop cooling fan when you're actually gaming at a desk.

I’m honestly not dead set on making one, I just know people have raved about their built computers. Never owned my own desktop computer and I do like the convenience of a laptop. Either way I want to learn more about computers as my background knowledge is very limited with them.

Would you have any recommendations for gaming computers and brands/models?

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I’m honestly not dead set on making one, I just know people have raved about their built computers. Never owned my own desktop computer and I do like the convenience of a laptop. Either way I want to learn more about computers as my background knowledge is very limited with them.

Yeah, if you spend that much you tend to wanna flaunt it, haha.

Razer/Surfaces would be your ultra portable gaming laptops. Razer also makes a modular desktop, never tried it or seen it.

Asus has a series of gaming laptops and desktops that look cool. Republic of Gaming.

Alienware is the first ones. I wouldn't buy one, but I work with those guys and they're cool.

IBuyPower make good custom ones. Kinda like pcpartpicker but preset setups.

If you're gonna get a desktop I'd build it. There's not much of a reason to buy one these days if you're comfortable assembling. Very rarely is buying one better since gpu prices are back to normal.

OH and btw, you can buy an external gpu to augment a laptop. My ideal rig if I had unlimited cash and still gamed on the computer a lot would be a nice laptop, external gpu (Razer enclosure) and a nice ultra wide monitor. No tinkering with ram. No formatting of the computer. No cable management to do. No thermal paste.

Downside is it can't be upgraded in 5 years like a pc can. Upside is in 5 years you'll prolly be doing this over again anyways.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Understanding what you want in a custom is a great way to become more knowledgeable on computers. Once you understand the basics of what to look for, it's very easy to know what to look for in the future and what to research.

I looked into building a desktop about 6-7 years ago, was close to pulling the trigger but ended up buying a used custom built off Craigslist and saved about 40-45%. A desktop gives you way more value and the ability to upgrade down the line. I'd only look at buying a laptop if you really need the portability, if you just want it for home use stick with a desktop.

Either way, I honestly don't think you need to spend $2000 on a desktop. I expected I would've needed to upgrade my build by now, but am still very happy with my specs, which is a i5-4567, 8 GB, 760TI build.

What are the main uses, I assume for gaming - but besides that?

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Either way, I honestly don't think you need to spend $2000 on a desktop. I expected I would've needed to upgrade my build by now, but am still very happy with my specs, which is a i5-4567, 8 GB, 760TI build.

This could be true if you go value in a gpu too. I built my server for $1500. Has a xeon processor, 16TB and 16gb ram. Used a Linux distro instead of Windows to save $$ too.

My first gaming pc was like $1200 since I used an AMD. Man that thing was like a vacuum cleaner loud.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
This could be true if you go value in a gpu too. I built my server for $1500. Has a xeon processor, 16TB and 16gb ram. Used a Linux distro instead of Windows to save $$ too.

My first gaming pc was like $1200 since I used an AMD. Man that thing was like a vacuum cleaner loud.

AMD has come a long way in closing the gap between them and Intel though correct? I was told they’ve actually surpassed them and are cheaper.

Again I appreciate all the help and thanks again for the great in-depth explications to you and everyone else.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Well look at that, 10k posts on HFAvs (this is 10,001).

tenor.gif

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm not sure you really need to splash out on the most expensive PC hardware these days, since even average stuff can run most games at a very high resolution with good graphics. With most games being multi-platform the hardware limitations of consoles dictate hardware requirements anyway.

I've not felt constrained by either CPU or GPU in a while. As long as I turn games from Ultra to High if they are very demanding, I get good framerates anyway.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Guys for real, has anyone heard from Bubba? Or does anyone perhaps know him personally or follow a social media account?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
@RockLobster do you have any way as a mod to find any type of email or social media channels for Bubba?

Under the old board we used to, but we don't seem to have the same tools...and honestly I'm glad because that stuff should only be accessible by the Admins and such (as a safeguard to keep regular and Global Mods from being accused of/engaging in targeting, etc).

I'll send some stuff up the channels. I know there was a miscommunication between he & I when all this COVID stuff started breaking out in the US, but I haven't heard from him since then. I sincerely hope everything is alright.

Reactions: ASmileyFace

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad