The English Lower League thread (Part 2)

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Leicester trying to play like City with Maresca as coach. Ricardo Pereira playing the Stones role.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Leicester won 2-1 after going 0-1 down. Dewsbury-Hall scored both. They were better when Iheanacho and Praet came on for Vardy and Ndidi.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Thoughts on who gets promoted this year?

If I were to guess,
1. Leicester City: Should win and have all the foundation to be a cut clear on the rest of the pack.
2. Watford: Like LC, they should have the foundations and money to get back to the EPL.
3. Coventry City: Wouldn't be surprised to see another elevator club like Norwich or Soton here, but I think we always see one club surprise.

- A lot of pundits have 0-2 Middlesbrough winning the league.

Who I want to see (no order),
- Preston North End (I like seeing fresh new clubs getting to enjoy the EPL)
- Blackburn Rovers (I want to see them again)
- Leeds United (I think the EPL is more fun to watch when they're in it)

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Lower league football!

One of the line judges in the Pompey game pulled his calf in the first half and was unable to continue.

He went off and the 4th official in the second half who replaced him ALSO pulled a muscle and can't continue.

The match is currently delayed. They literally made a PSA in the stadium asking if there's an official in the stands!

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
Thoughts on who gets promoted this year?

If I were to guess,
1. Leicester City: Should win and have all the foundation to be a cut clear on the rest of the pack.
2. Watford: Like LC, they should have the foundations and money to get back to the EPL.
3. Coventry City: Wouldn't be surprised to see another elevator club like Norwich or Soton here, but I think we always see one club surprise.

- A lot of pundits have 0-2 Middlesbrough winning the league.

Who I want to see (no order),
- Preston North End (I like seeing fresh new clubs getting to enjoy the EPL)
- Blackburn Rovers (I want to see them again)
- Leeds United (I think the EPL is more fun to watch when they're in it)
think i mentioned this a week or so ago, I'd say that Ipswich will be in the picture.

Reactions: S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
think i mentioned this a week or so ago, I'd say that Ipswich will be in the picture.
Ipswitch so far has been the best team from what I've seen after LC of course. I was thinking of them or Coventry City as the "surprise" club and I went with the latter. I would not be shocked if they could get a top 3 spot instead.

Reactions: JPBolts

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Warnock will step down as Huddersfield manager after their midweek match against Stoke

Big speculation that Giggs will return to management taking the Salford job (where he I think a minority owner) :laugh:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Since Disney+ in here isn't showing the second season of Welcome To Wrexham yet, I've had to resort to downloading the episodes. Two episodes dropped this week and I'm watching episode 2 right now. This club, man. Paul Mullin really is super. The way the club and this shows treats those with disabilities is just special. Millie Tipping is special too. :nod:

A for Albi.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
In the Championship looks like Carrick saved his job for a little longer while Martin has to be on the hotseat. Southampton have too much talent still to be playing so mediocre. Meanwhile Ipswich Cinderella start continues.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Re: Welcome to Wrexham, episode 4, "Shaun's vacation" was one of the funnier ones of the series. McElhenney's idiocy...

Re: episode 5, Dorking Wanders, what a concept, what a manager. I wish all the best to them. They at least knew how to benefit from the publicity, unlike Notts County it seems. This show is turning into potentially major publicity event for the lower league teams and I can't understand why anyone would refuse to participate. One would think the Dorking Wanderers case is a perfectly example of positive publicity. Based on their facebook page, they seem to have gotten a lot new fans and it seems sponsors (not sure if it's related):

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Cheltenham Town still haven't scored a goal after 10 league games. Their only goal of the season was an own goal in the EFL Trophy. They did draw 0-0 with top of the table Portsmouth though.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA

Feel so bad for their fans...really wish the FA would do better with stepping in and preventing things from spiraling so much. Fit and proper has been a joke for a long time. It just makes me sad.

Cheltenham Town still haven't scored a goal after 10 league games. Their only goal of the season was an own goal in the EFL Trophy. They did draw 0-0 with top of the table Portsmouth though.

Definitely a weird bit of trivia.

Pompey have been off to a great start this year, taking 13/15 points in September against Posh, Derby, Barnsley, Lincoln, and Wigan. Certainly wasn't an easy run, and they've also nabbed 11 points from losing positions already this year.

21 straight unbeaten in the league, dating back to last season under Mousinho. A fair few draws is a bit of cause for concern, but that looks to be improving as well.

2nd most scored, tied for least conceded, and the only team not to lose so far in League 1.

There's a lot of season left, but I'm finding it extremely difficult not to be excited, especially with the state of League 1 this year. 7th time may finally be the charm...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad