The Immeasurable Comfort of Protecting Constant Leads

How does this team protect so many leads?

• New acquistions (Soucy, Hronek, Cole, Juulsen) deepen D-core, better bottom pairings

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • Rick Tocchet

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • Better leadership (Hughes > Horvat)

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Defensive masterminds (Gonchar, Foote) implementing soundness, structure in systems play

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Live human sacrifice to hockey gods finds favor, team is blessed with +1 PDO rest of year

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Goalie upgrades (Desmith > Martin)

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Rutherford & Allvin are voodoo. Let them work their dark magic

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • All of the above. It's not one thing done 100% better, it's 100 things done 1% better

Votes: 52 60.5%

• Total voters

Sykur

Apr 11, 2011
Oh what a difference a year makes.

Yes, this is mostly a call back to this thread last year, in which the Canucks had lost 8 consecutive games in the first two months alone where they held a multi-goal lead, something that would not stop throughout the season.

Maybe it was some cruel prank of the hockey gods or maybe the players thought that they could coast once they got a sufficient number of goals ahead, but this year they're leaving nothing to chance.

I make this post after the Florida game (Roberto Luongo night), in which the Canucks had a 4-0 lead heading into the third period, and for the first time in awhile I felt something. It wasn't panic or worry or fear, it was assurance. Confidence. Absolute reliance and comfort. I already knew they had this in the bag. I never felt this way last year.

Last year's Canucks may have still won this game but we could envision Florida scoring a couple quick goals early in the third and then the rest of the period is fingernail biting and rising tension as they pull the goalie and get another late one. Canucks win, but with a scary last few minutes. 4-3. Should have never come that close after an almost perfect two periods.

But this year's team is different. This year that didn't happen. It's not just that the Canucks won, it's how they won. Florida didn't come back with a couple easy goals. They didn't even get a quality scoring chance. Vancouver smothered the rest of the game like their coach is Jacques Lemaire, as if it's something they've known how to do all this time. No panic. No worry. Total chill, "I got this", ice the game, no problem. What, we worry? Just as they did to Minny. Just as they did to Tampa (with the hottest scorer in the league right now).

Last year's Canucks did not win a single game when leading after two periods. It was seldom when it was the case, but they were 0-4 on the season (most of the multi-goal comebacks started earlier in the game).

This year's Canucks are 17-0. They have never lost a game when leading in the third. They've allowed only 9 goals in third periods in these games. Only two games have gone to OT. If you want to know the main difference between the night-and-day results of this year's team and last year's team, this is it. Last year's team couldn't close out a game if a gun was pointed at their heads. This year's team has Mariano Rivera on speed dial. Their ability to shut down third periods is awe-inspiring. Everyone is bitching about PDO and SH% other useless stats that they think mean something but don't. I don't see anyone analyzing Canucks lead protection schemas in the third. There's enough of a sample set that this isn't luck or random variance anymore. And this will be invaluable come playoff time, when scoring the first goal (which the Canucks have done 20 times already, winning 16) is critical.

Of course, if they tank the rest of the year this post will age like room temperature milk. In which case -- have at it. That's how you make sour cream.

Last edited:

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
It's all of the above but it's mostly Tocchet and how he's changed the culture, accountability and attention to detail on all facets of our team and structure.

Reactions: Indiana

Sykur

Apr 11, 2011
I was almost certain this was going to be a jinx thread and they would choke against Chicago. And no one would blame them for collapsing in the third period of B2B matinee games in different cities on the road.

But they didn't. They bent but didn't break. In fact, for most of the third they carried the play and other than a PP goal and last minute desperation the Hawks didn't really have any sustainable offensive pressure at all.

Canucks are now 18-0 when leading after 40 minutes, and they're making it look easy.

Reactions: Indiana and M2Beezy

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
I'd like to pick multiple, but not all of the above.
DeSmith is definitely the better backup but not better than Demko when he's bubble. We don't play DS enough.
the Saturday Sunday afternoon games are a good example of how the team plays different in front of them right now.
It looks like when it was MacLean and Steve (not Kevin) Weeks. Kirk was the new kind of the stickhandling, breakout pass goalie and Steve was the more traditional, stay in net, stop the puck kind of goalie (without being fat). Weeks had the better save percentage, but Quinn argued we had more wins with Kirk before shuffling Weeks off to Hartford.

Yesterdays game had the Canucks playing back 5 on 5 the whole game then saved a point with 5 minutes left in the third. Minnesota complied. Today, the team was more comfortable going up the ice and playing deep. The result was 1 goal on DeSmith and 3 on Demko with the difference being a team that has Conor Bedard.
In DeSmith's case, were they trying to make sure the rebounds were cleared? I have to think this is Tocchetts current strategy for both goaltenders as our slump included bad backchecking.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I think it's a bit of everything save for PDO and leadership. This team is doing historical things PDO-wise but the way we are built is an aggressive-contain outlook on the defensive side, and we don't have any volume shooters. We should be at the top of the league PDO, just not *this* good.

I'll tell you, I'd much rather the anxiety of the prospect of giving up a lead than praying to Jesus every game to score a goal or two to take it to OT.

Sykur

Apr 11, 2011
19-0 now. Against Nashville it was a formality, with a multi-goal lead they chased Saros and then shut it down. Only one garbage time goal from Cody Glass of all people. You remember Cody Glass, don't you? The guy drafted after Pettersson that everyone wanted?

Reactions: ziploc and Indiana

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
For those of you that want something more than one round of playoffs, that's kinda what did the Bruins in last year, just playing one style constantly. I don't mind playing from behind sometime, and I'm not that comfortable having them race ahead every game. Lol, really nitpicking here.

Honestly I'll be happy if they win one round this year, with this management's performance, the window is just opening.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
For those of you that want something more than one round of playoffs, that's kinda what did the Bruins in last year, just playing one style constantly. I don't mind playing from behind sometime, and I'm not that comfortable having them race ahead every game. Lol, really nitpicking here.

Honestly I'll be happy if they win one round this year, with this management's performance, the window is just opening.
I don't mind it. You can play this way when you have the offensive depth that we do. You know that almost every night there is going to be run support that allows you to be stingy and lock it down when needed. Rather than the Bruins, think NJD in the late 90's/early 2000s.

Sykur

Apr 11, 2011
The Dallas game doesn't really count. Even though they had the lead at one point in the third, they did not enter the third with the lead.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Its mainly Tochet's defensive system combined with incredible goaltending. The last time the team had this dramatic a shift year over year was from 05/06 with Crawford/Auld to 06/07 with Vigneault/Luongo.

If I remember correctly that team was also absurd at holding a lead after 2, and most of it had to do with changes to the team's defensive structure alongside the best goaltending I've seen since watching hockey.

Sykur

Apr 11, 2011
Canucks now 21-0 when leading after 40.

Ottawa was a silly game, they shut it down in the first and then coasted. Last year's team often let opponents back into games when they scored 3 or 4 quick ones in the first. This team did let in a couple, but it never felt like Ottawa had a chance to get back into it.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Canucks now 21-0 when leading after 40.

Ottawa was a silly game, they shut it down in the first and then coasted. Last year's team often let opponents back into games when they scored 3 or 4 quick ones in the first. This team did let in a couple, but it never felt like Ottawa had a chance to get back into it.
Let's be clear. Canucks only managed to stop Ottawa's momentum and take control of the game back finally with the 6th goal. With Ottawa's third goal the Sens continued to be very motivated for a comeback.

Sykur

Apr 11, 2011
22-0.

Another loose "bend but don't break" third period against the Devils, the benefit of being up by multiple goals after 40.

Win is a win and it keeps the streak alive but I'm sure Tocchet is not happy with the way they've been protecting leads lately and may have some words about it in the dressing room.

Reactions: DFAC

Sykur

Apr 11, 2011
24-0 against the Isles. Sweep of the tricities like it ain't no thang.

The Islanders did score in the third but they were only held to 5 shots. The Canucks looked completely calm and in control when up by multiple goals. I can't even remember the last time they won a close game.

Reactions: arttk

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
24-0 against the Isles. Sweep of the tricities like it ain't no thang.

The Islanders did score in the third but they were only held to 5 shots. The Canucks looked completely calm and in control when up by multiple goals. I can't even remember the last time they won a close game.
Cuz close games suck. We should just win by lots of goals from now on. I credit the Sedins for thinking of this.

• Haha
Reactions: Jyrki21 and arttk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad