The Office of Strategic Planning - Tank Talk 3.0

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Need to weaponize Eriksson Ek's contract at some point, otherwise it's just a tremendous waste.
I have been skewered by every wild fan for suggesting this. It’s the reality though. Ek and Kap will not be in their prime for our next window. It sucks that we wasted their best years being Guerin’d …..but that’s what happened.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
That's kind of exactly what it allows you to do. It's about bringing in talent.
Who did Tampa trade for and overpay on a long term deal when they had Point signed for under $7M?

The Avalanche when MacK was signed at $6.3M AAV?

9/10 times that money goes towards keeping prospects that do well. Russo is already talking about Faber’s extension being $9M+. If Rossi improves farther, that’s going to be a decent contract size. Khusnutdinov is up after next year. Wallstedt up the same year. Faber, Rossi, Khusnutdinov and Wallstedt needing to be re-signed in one offseason is going to be a treat.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I have been skewered by every wild fan for suggesting this. It’s the reality though. Ek and Kap will not be in their prime for our next window. It sucks that we wasted their best years being Guerin’d …..but that’s what happened.
I'm not suggesting that we trade Eriksson Ek. I think you're misunderstanding.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Who did Tampa trade for and overpay on a long term deal when they had Point signed for under $7M?

The Avalanche when MacK was signed at $6.3M AAV?

9/10 times that money goes towards keeping prospects that do well. Russo is already talking about Faber’s extension being $9M+. If Rossi improves farther, that’s going to be a decent contract size. Khusnutdinov is up after next year. Wallstedt up the same year. Faber, Rossi, Khusnutdinov and Wallstedt needing to be re-signed in one offseason is going to be a treat.
Point's deal was short-term. Hard to do anything there.

Avs only have 1 Cup to show for those years and it came towards the end. You could probably say that they ended up wasting a good chunk of that time. Though Covid might have played a part in that since it came in the middle of it.

Faber and Rossi are taken care of by the buyouts lifting, and I have no problem with bridging both if necessary (unlikely in Faber's case, but still). Not worried about the other two.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
No clue what you could have meant by weaponizing his contract then
Basically just using the fact that he’s very underpaid to bring in other talent and not needing to be overly worried about “overpaying” that player, if necessary. It still ends up averaging out fine.

Reactions: MuckOG

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
Russo is already talking about Faber’s extension being $9M+. If Rossi improves farther, that’s going to be a decent contract size. Khusnutdinov is up after next year. Wallstedt up the same year. Faber, Rossi, Khusnutdinov and Wallstedt needing to be re-signed in one offseason is going to be a treat.

That seems a little crazy unless he is approaching ppg, I think we should bridge him and make sure the offense is consistent to great, then go long term.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
That seems a little crazy unless he is approaching ppg, I think we should bridge him and make sure the offense is consistent to great, then go long term.
We still have another full season we can watch before needing to do anything.

I'm not against a bridge though, if he's planning on maximizing every dollar on the 2nd contract.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Basically just using the fact that he’s very underpaid to bring in other talent and not needing to be overly worried about “overpaying” that player, if necessary. It still ends up averaging out fine.
I think if we are gonna do this, we should go big (Drai, Rantanen, Marner) or target someone like Boeser, whom might give a little bit of a discount to play for Minnesota.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think if we are gonna do this, we should go big (Drai, Rantanen, Marner) or target someone like Boeser, whom might give a little bit of a discount to play for Minnesota.

This is the first season Boeser has lived up to his current $6.65m contract. I'm not interested in him at all unless he's being paid $5myr or less.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Fair, though I question if those first 2 make it there. I'd probably consider Marner the most likely.

He didn't live up to his $5.9m contract he was paid before that either.
Yeah, tough injury history, no doubt.

Though, those 3 years he was a ~28 goal and ~62 point caliber of player, so I'm not sure I agree with this.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Fair, though I question if those first 2 make it there. I'd probably consider Marner the most likely.

Yeah, tough injury history, no doubt.

Though, those 3 years he was a ~28 goal and ~62 point caliber of player, so I'm not sure I agree with this.

49p, 45p, and 55p seasons is what he ended up with though. I would only pay for what happen, not what might have happened.

Adding a player with injury concerns to MN is just asking for trouble. MN's track record for keeping players healthy isn't good. Spurgeon, Brodin, and Parise are/were consistanly injured every season. Add in the current roster with Boldy, JEE, Foligno, Zucc, and Kap are getting injured on an almost yearly basis.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
49p, 45p, and 55p seasons is what he ended up with though. I would only pay for what happen, not what might have happened.

Adding a player with injury concerns to MN is just asking for trouble. MN's track record for keeping players healthy isn't good. Spurgeon, Brodin, and Parise are/were consistanly injured every season. Add in the current roster with Boldy, JEE, Foligno, Zucc, and Kap are getting injured on an almost yearly basis.
Like I said, tough injury history, though one of those was a full 56 game season. Injuries are why he wouldn't be at the top of my list either.

And, technically, his 71 (and counting) point season that he just had also actually happened.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Like I said, tough injury history, though one of those was a full 56 game season. Injuries are why he wouldn't be at the top of my list either.

And, technically, his 71 (and counting) point season that he just had also actually happened.

Yep, this has been a good year for him. The other 6 have been 45p-56p seasons. He's also 4th (well ahead of 5th) on the team in points and has been stapled to Miller's (97p) hip all season.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Yep, this has been a good year for him. The other 6 have been 45p-56p seasons. He's also 4th (well ahead of 5th) on the team in points and has been stapled to Miller's (97p) hip all season.
Yes, Vancouver has other good/very good top 6 forwards as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad