TSN: The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread - PART X

Status
Not open for further replies.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
idk why they even go on twitter when it clearly effects them so much. If something rattles you that much, avoid it.
And for that matter, when did Twitter even enter this discussion? I thought we were discussing how we on HFBoards feel about this. Not sure what an outside social media channel has to do with it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Again, the Twitter haters will prey on this for sure. Like flies to shit.

Definitely not the wisest move by the organization, but the easiest way to make a point.

Will it make a difference for the media that is calling for Dorion’s head or those saying the rebuild was a failure? Most likely not.

The anti-organizational stand will continue. Oh well.
What point are they trying to make? That they have remarkably thin skin and will cut off their nose to spite their face? Waging war against the media is not a wise move when your trying to unite your fan base, it's a decisive move that makes the team management look childish and brings unneeded negative attention.

This really challenges the old adage that there is no such thing as bad publicity, because I don't see anything positive coming from this.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
What point were they making?

That they are afraid or unable to answer difficult questions? If so, is that really "a point" that a major sports team should be making?
They're trying to lay down the law for anyone that won't just tow the line for them and they've been trying to do it for quite a few years now through various tactics like this.

So if there is a point, it's basically, "Our way or the highway."

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
They're trying to lay down the law for anyone that won't just tow the line for them and they've been trying to do it for quite a few years now through various tactics like this.

So if there is a point, it's basically, "Our way or the highway."

surprised they dont hand out 'Dorion approved questions' for the media to ask

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
What point were they making?

That they are afraid or unable to answer difficult questions? If so, is that really "a point" that a major sports team should be making?

I think you are making a bit of a reach here. Similar to when Dorion was accused of telling Bruce to ask him a question but was talking to PR staff and not Garrioch. You don't have to like the guy but let's be somewhat rational here.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
surprised they dont hand out 'Dorion approved questions' for the media to ask
That'll be the next step... and that probably isn't far from what they're doing now really.

Maybe they aren't controlling the questions specifically, but by only allowing access to media members they know will only lob softballs in exchange for keeping their access, it's close to the same effect.

Reactions: cudi

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Maybe they aren't controlling the questions specifically, but by only allowing access to media members they know will only lob softballs in exchange for keeping their access, it's close to the same effect.

Nobody was denied access.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Nobody was denied access.
I know what happened and the specific terminology applied is irrelevant if you want to argue that.

This is a team that has relied on certain media bullying tactics, like this, because they're obviously sensitive to what some of them have to say.

We have the extreme examples like "Bush League", "I will bury you", and cutting off courtesy plane access in response, and we have the less extreme examples like this, but its all consistent with how they've chosen to operate and it only reflects poorly on them in the end.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
And here I was thinking Mendes was not allowed to ask a question because Dorion hates being called out by him on Twitter.

He was not even there, which is even worse.
Ever since Eugene was on his show, Ian hasn’t been well liked, blacklisted, whatever you want to call it.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I know what happened and the specific terminology applied is irrelevant if you want to argue that.

This is a team that has relied on certain media bullying tactics, like this, because they're obviously sensitive to what some of them have to say.

We have the extreme examples like "Bush League", "I will bury you", and cutting off courtesy plane access in response, and we have the less extreme examples like this, but its all consistent with how they've chosen to operate.

I agree that there is an issue with how the organization has handled media relations, especially in regards to certain individuals but terminology is absolutely relevant. What you said happened on Saturday morning was a flat out lie.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Ever since Eugene was on his show, Ian hasn’t been well liked, blacklisted, whatever you want to call it.
I think it was the Dorion incident that sealed it.

Mendes tried to play a fan feedback call where he though the fan hit the nail on the head on why there's a disconnect with the team & fans, and then Dorion refused to listen and got audibly upset. It was pretty awkward.

Then Melnyk followed up by calling Mendes bush league publicly.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I think you are making a bit of a reach here. Similar to when Dorion was accused of telling Bruce to ask him a question but was talking to PR staff and not Garrioch. You don't have to like the guy but let's be somewhat rational here.

The poster I responded to claimed that by handling the press conference the way they did they were "making a point" . And I'm asking what "point" they were making.... seriously don't know.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Mendes tried to play a fan feedback call where he though the fan hit the nail on the head on why there's a disconnect with the team & fans, and then Dorion refused to listen and got audibly upset. It was pretty awkward.

I thought that was Gene not Dorian.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I agree that there is an issue with how the organization has handled media relations, especially in regards to certain individuals but terminology is absolutely relevant. What you said happened on Saturday morning was a flat out lie.
A slight misrepresentation, not a flat out lie.

Say I have 100 friends that were normally attendees at my party. But this time 50 friends that I didn't inform of or invite to my party weren't technically "denied access", but they still weren't aware of it or told where and when to be there, so it would have been impossible for them to attend.

Not much difference, agree?

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Anyone have a link to that call? That would have been a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad